Yeast infection from Rapamycin

Hi, has anyone else experienced a yeast infection after taking Rapamycin? I took 2-3 grams for a month, and then developed a yeast infection. It’s been 1.5 months since I stopped, but the infection persists. I’m seeing a doctor tomorrow.

I’ve also been training in warm conditions and sweating more, which could be a factor. However, this infection is worse than my previous ones.

Additionally, how long does it typically take for the body to return to normal after stopping Rapamycin?

I’m guessing you meant 2-3 milligrams?
May I ask your dosing schedule?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Once a week. Yes, I mean milligrams :blush:

1 Like

Without GFJ, this wouldn’t usually be expected o do anything to humoral immunity; so I’d say the yeast infection is independent of this generally. You might have some hours with values >3 ng/mL with that dose - mostly representing the immediate absorption. But as soon as redistributed, within hours of taking it, it’d be pretty difficult to see a situation where this would be suppressing your response to fungal or bacterial infections.
Everyone is different, and unique things happen; but I’d suspect this one to be coincidental rather than causal, in general.

1 Like

@DrFraser Thanks so much for your response. It feels good that it’s mostly likely independent from using Rapamycin. :pray:

I want to start taking Rapamycing after the infection is over. But I think I will start from 1mg and work my way up.

2 Likes

Strangely enough in context of your story, rapamycin was initially developed as an antifungal, and has strong activity on Candida Tor 1, inhibiting growth.

1 Like

I suspect your doctor might check your HgA1c to make sure things are fine in that department, though nothing else in your sparse history suggests otherwise.

1 Like

@Herm Yea, I read that it is supposed to help with yeast infection. So should be good if I continue to take Rapamycin going forward.

At the doses you are taking it is unlikely to be an effective antifungal, unfortunately!

I’m glad you will be seeing a doctor, as there are other predisposing factors for candidiasis that could possibly be investigated, given your pre-rapamycin history of candidal infections. Please consider the following are my opinions rather than advice per se. It sounds like advice to avoid stilted syntax!

Given you are in training, you are probably quite healthy and I suspect nothing would be found. I have bolded what might be reasonable to check given your history, but again consult your doctor on this. This is a pretty good concise list suggesting testing for for HIV, diabetes, folate, vitamin B-12, ferritin, hemoglobin, Vitamin D, and blood cell counts and possibly modifying some life-style factors.

[Antibiotic usage is commonly associated with candidiasis. Cancer cytotoxic chemotherapy may result in fungemia caused by Candida albicans, which develop from fungal translocation through compromised mucosal barriers. Fungal commensals in the upper and lower GI tract can transform into opportunistic pathogens due to changes in endogenous bacterial population size or composition, as well as changes in the host environment.[2] Vaginal colonization increases in diabetes mellitus, pregnancy, and the use of oral contraceptives. Oral candidiasis is very closely associated with HIV patients. More than 90% of patients with HIV present with candidiasis.

Other predisposing factors of candidiasis include TB, myxedema [my edit: very low levels of thyroid hormone], hypoparathyroidism, Addison’s disease, nutritional deficiency(vitamin A, B6, Iron), smoking, poorly maintained dentures, IV tubes, catheters, heart valves, old age, infancy, and pregnancy. Xerostomia is also a predisposing factor due to the absence of protective antifungal proteins, histatin, and calprotectin (my edit: low Vitamin D is associated with low calprotectin).](Candidiasis - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf)

I would consider keeping a health diary. Consider staying rapamycin for say 6 months, and establish how many candidal infections you experience, as well as other health issues that may arise.

Then, if you really want to go back on it, I would choose a frequency of dosing that assures that the level of rapamycin in your blood/body goes back to undetectable for a period of time before the next dose. For example, dosing once every two or three weeks, and starting on a low dose, say 1 mg. Continue to log in your health diary, and every three months, you could slowly increase the dose to 2 then 3 mg and track if you experience an increase in candidal infections. If it happens, then back off on the dose as you have reached your maximum tolerated dose/frequency. Given our lack of data of frequency of negative health effects with pulse dosing of rapamycin, we all have to make individualized decisions here. As you can tell I am probably more risk averse than many!

Side effects can emerge on a variety of dose/frequency regimens for different individuals suggesting high variability in response. For example, I experienced nasty aphthous ulcers on 1 mg / week and had to change my dosing/frequency regimen to 3 mg every three weeks to avoid the issue, fiddling with the dose/frequency over a year and a half, and with a health diary to assist in the decision-making. I surmise my physiology needed a good amount of time without rapamycin on board to avert the aphthous ulcers. The compromise of course is that it’s a relatively low dose, and hopefully it did not decrease “anti-ageing” efficacy.

Last, I would become familiar with the FDA rapamycin package insert. Remembering that the list of side effects is experienced by individuals on much, much higher dosing regimens like 2 mg / day specifically resulting in immunosupressant effects.