What's in your breakfast smoothie?

Yes, you are right. I will separate them by a few hours from here on out.

1 Like
5 Likes

Thank you, @scta123 . Much appreciated.

1 Like

Can’t you drink the smoothie with a straw?
And can’t you use acarbose to blunt the blood sugar response?

2 Likes

I realized that adding raw broccoli to a smoothie may be the best way to get the sulphoraphane out of it. Tried it today… definitely needs some work in the area of taste (in a berry / broccoli smoothie). But something to work on…

Hence, by far the largest amount of sulforaphane you can get from broccoli is by munching on raw florets.

This got the team of researchers thinking about the results of stir-frying – the single most popular method for preparing vegetables in China.

“Surprisingly, few methods have reported the sulforaphane concentrations in stir-fried broccoli, and to the best of our knowledge, no report has focused on sulforaphane stability in the stir-frying process,” the researchers noted in their study.

The team bought a bunch of broccoli from the local market and set to work, measuring the levels of compounds in the vegetables as they went.

First, they basically pulverized the broccoli, chopping it into 2-millimeter pieces to get as much myrosinase activity going as possible (remember, the activity happens when broccoli is damaged).

Then, they divided their samples into three groups – one was left raw, one was stir-fried for four minutes straight after chopping, and the third was chopped and then left alone for 90 minutes before being stir-fried for four minutes as well.

The 90-minute waiting period was to see whether the broccoli would have more time to develop the beneficial compounds before being lightly cooked.

And that’s exactly what the team found – the broccoli that was stir-fried right away had 2.8 times less sulforaphane than the one left to ‘develop’ for longer.

“Our results suggest that after cutting broccoli florets into small pieces, they should be left for about 90 minutes before cooking,” the team concluded, adding that they didn’t test it but thought “30 minutes would also be helpful”

1 Like

It may taste better if you add a teaspoon of raw cacao powder. It’ll mask the broccoli taste.

5 Likes

My morning smoothie:

2 cups frozen organic baby kale (broccoli family, contains sulforaphane but tastes much milder than broccoli or broccoli sprouts, also has carotenoids, potassium and inorganic nitrate)
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tbsp psyllium powder (not whole husk)
1 tsp creatine powder
40 grams whey protein isolate (natural vanilla, sweetened only w/stevia)
1.5 cups frozen wild blueberries
1.5 cups frozen pineapple (replaces previous use of bananas, tastes better and doesn’t contain polyphenol oxidase)
Handful of frozen walnuts
In a base of maybe 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1 cup filtered water

Low glycemic, zero sodium, lots of polyphenols, sulphoraphane, multiple sources of fiber, high in protein.

4 Likes

I’ve stayed rather simple:

Water
Metamucil (sugar free)
Taurine
Creatine
Hydrolyzed Collagen
Novos core

2 Likes

Instead of a smoothie: black tea (usually PG Tips) with 2 scoops Vital Proteins (18 grams protein) TMG 1.5 mg, l-lysine 3000mg, inulin, taurine, allulose and a little whole cream.

“brunch”: small dish of Goat kefir or goat yogurt with blackberries, strawberries or blueberries, wheat germ, and sometimes a little pomegranate molasses and/or hemp hearts.

2 Likes

How long have you been taking Novos core and what is your opinion about this supplement?

I did it for a year and before I could stop they had automatically renewed for another year. I don’t notice any positive or negative health effects but then that’s not really the purpose. It is expensive. If they don’t change the formula, I will not renew.
They formula is still the original from 3 years ago and includes ingredients for which new studies would question the value of. (Fisetin, Pterostilbene).

2 Likes