What's in your breakfast smoothie?

That’s a terrible idea, brush before or at least an hour after…

1 Like

These ingredients are a healthy start, but in my view you need some protein especially if this is your first meal of the day. Plain zero fat Greek yogurt might be a useful addition

1 Like

This is a Salted Caramel Protein Shake I have for dinner, especially on resistance training days:

2 Likes

Chris, I’d add in to your mix whey protein powder, cinnamon, and kefir.

1 Like

My morning smoothie consists of:

1. 2 scoops of ground seeds consisting of: 3 parts raw flax seed, 1 part pumpkin seed, 1 part sesame seed.
  2. 1/2 scoop whey protein isolate
  3. 1/4 tsp lecithin
  4. 1/2 scoop macqi berry powder
  5. 1 scoop acai berry powder
  6. Pomegranate juice
  7. 2-3 scoops 1 day old yeast fermented oat bran soaked with rye berries held within a tea ball. The rye berries are discarded. They provide the phytase enzyme to break down the phytic acid in the oat bran during the ferment. The extra ferment water is used to inoculate the next day’s batch, made from ~2 scoops dry oat bran, 1/2 tsp vinegar, plus water and fresh rye berries.)

Mine this morning:

• 30g flaxseed
  • 450g frozen raspberries
  • 120g banana
  • 30g raw cocoa beans
  • 30g collagen peptides
  • 15g glycine animo acid
  • 2 cups of tea and coffee :coffee:

Not the most delicious but nutritive, and a lot a antioxidants and phytonutrients :heart_hands:

My Rx stack with it :

• Acarbose 200mg
  • Empagliflozin 25mg
  • Ezetimibe 10mg
  • Telmisartan 80mg
  • Nebivolol 5mg

If you want even more fiber and lower glycemic index you can use whole oat Groats or ryberries. They take forever to cook though and I’ve had mixed results in the pressure cooker.

1 Like

Here’s mine. I drink this after a 2.5 mile run each morning. I have used a CGM and it doesn’t spike my blood sugar at all. Perhaps because I drink it about 20 minutes after my run.

Tart cherries (frozen)
Acai Juice packet (frozen, no sugar added)
1/2 Banana frozen
Blueberries (frozen)
1 tsp Ginger (Dorot brand frozen)
1 tsp Turmeric (Dorot brand frozen)
1 tbsp Flax seeds (whole)
15 grams Marine Collagen powder
15 grams Grass Fed Beef Whey Isolate
3 grams Chlorella
10 grams Psyllium Husk
5 grams creatine
1 gram TMG
3 grams Taurine
5 grams Cacao powder
1 gram Magnesium Malate
A couple of dolllops of unsweetened Silk Almond yogurt OR half an avocado

5 Likes

I use my morning smoothie to load up on healthy vegetables, fibre and protein. I freeze a lot of the veg and the bananas so I’ve always got them on hand.
I enjoy the taste - to me it’s nutty, with a hint of spice and the small amount of banana makes it sweet enough.

100g frozen broccoli
40g frozen banana (adds enough sweetness for me)
40g fresh baby spinach (or kale)
30g frozen celery
40g frozen avocado
20g walnuts (or LSA)
5g chai seeds
35g protein from whatever powder (I aim for 40g total protein so it induces protein syntheses - including what I get from the nuts and veg).
Tsp of cinnamon and some cardamom.
10g ground tumeric paste
200-280g water

With a powerful blender you don’t even notice the broccoli. But I find it’s such a good way to up my intake of healthy veg and fibre.

5 Likes

Do you mix all those ingredients in a smoothie or eat them separately? Rhonda Patric doesn’t think that mixing banana with other foods is a good idea. Also, if you add psyllium husk to your smoothie, it may absorb all good stuff in your mixture.

3 Likes

I agree that banana may be an issue but psyllium husk is probably ok.

His shake includes macadamia nuts “milk” (a highly processed food) and whey protein. So, why not to simply replace macadamia nuts milk with goat kefir which naturally includes whey protein? It would make the whole shake healthier imo.

Thanks for the advice on not adding banana to my smoothie,Lara.
I´m usually mixing the berries, whey or Kefir, collagen, and inulin and psyllium husk in my smoothie and adding the nuts, oats and flaxseeds on top. As for inulin and husk, any recommendation how to consume them ?

1 Like

I consume psyllium husk separately from medications or supplements/vitamins. Suggested use on the back of the package reads: “bulk-forming fibers like psyllium husk may affect how well medicines work. Take this product 1-2 hours before or after taking medication.” So, following that, I take it mid day separately from medication or supplements.

2 Likes

I typically just add the inulin to my smoothies. No issues with this as far as I know.

2 Likes

Silly question, but isnt collagen powder roughly 30% glycine? So you are taking 5g taurine and 4g glycine together? Someone else in this forum (in a different thread) mentioned that glycine and taurine compete and they should be separated. Ive designed my supplements daily timing around this. Did i remember this correctly?

I think you are right that collagen contains glycine and that you should supplement separately. Exactly how much glycine will vary. The collagen I take (at about 6.30am) defines its balance of amino acids with glycine at 22%. I take taurine at 9-9.30am. (with other supplements)

1 Like

Thank you, @John_Hemming , and apologize i didn’t remember it was you.

I don’t think it was me.

1 Like

Ultimately, your honesty karma will reward you. At least that’s what ive heard. It certainly makes this forum that much better and more trustworthy, and that’s an added benefit for all of us.