What other health products or supplements do people order from India for better value?

I was reading the skin-care thread and decided to jump in for the first time by ordering some Tretinoin cream. It got me thinking about other products or supplements we might be able to get cheaper from India. So far, I’ve considered Ketoconazole shampoo and possibly Kachela Nattokinase, which costs $6 for 90 pills—both much cheaper than in the UK, though I’m unsure about the brand quality.

Might be a non-starter, but does anyone have any other suggestions to add.

I altered the name of the thread in case it widens the scope for any new discoveries by not ruling out pharmaceuticals.

1 Like

You’ve covered most of it. You can also get minoxidil + finasteride topical solutions, which are not as common in the US and often quite expensive.

1 Like

I think there are 2 situations with ordering meds from India.

1. The incredible freedom of not needing a prescriber and to explain why you “need” drug X,Y,Z. Which also risks you being on drugs that aren’t actually good for you when self ordering. However, without broad access of the population to individuals who are trained in longevity medicine (which should be what primary care is doing, but is failing) access is limited.
  2. Cost for non-generic drugs … getting SGLT2’s at 5% of the usual cost … that works. Even Rapamycin is more cost effective. Pretty much everything is a bit cheaper, but the big benefits are on drugs still with a trade name as the only option for purchase.
4 Likes

Interesting. I didn’t know about topical finasteride.

I have a number of patients on Empower Pharmacies Hair Restore Ultra, has minoxidil, azelaic acid, finasteride and ketoconazole in it.

Her is a link to their discussion on this - but yes requires an Rx

4 Likes

Thanks. I was using a topical solution with this (Manual) but something in it was really stinging my eyes and I could not prevent it. I switched to one with just minoxidil and alcohol and it stopped. I wonder if there are other solutions to try on the cheap from India.

I changed the name of the thread in case it widens the scope for new discoveries.

2 Likes

There are many good reasons to order drugs/supplements from India.
They are often just a fraction of the U.S. cost.
For example, I can get 10 tubes of tretinoin cream from India for less than the copay of my prescription.

Another is for drugs/supplements that are no longer available or previously available without a prescription but now require a prescription. For example, galantamine was available from Amazon and others for decades. “Galantamine is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor used to manage Alzheimer’s disease by elevating acetylcholine levels in the brain, thereby improving cognitive function and memory.” “Galantamine is a natural alkaloid that comes from the bulbs and flowers of plants in the Amaryllidaceae family, or it can be produced synthetically.”

Still, another reason is for prophylactic medications that have little risk or downsides that your physician is not going to prescribe because tests indicate you do not need them.
Insurance companies do not make it easy for physicians to practice preventative medicine, even if they are inclined to do so. For example, memantine hydrochloride is probably best used as a prophylactic to delay age-related cognitive decline, not after the fact.

You can use drugs from India as an adjunct to your physician-prescribed medications to obtain the most desirable lab results rather than just sufficient results. For example, you can get metformin or other glucose-lowering medications for optimal results.

Really, I could go on and on because I often find new reasons to buy drugs from India.

I bless the day that I found out that I could import rapamycin and other drugs from India without a prescription. It has had a profound effect on my wellness and well-being.

8 Likes

Amazing, thank you. I didn’t know about Galantamine and I’m high risk for Alzheimer’s. Will research of course.

Just asked Jagdish and he says it’s illegal to export from India but maybe that’s just to the UK.

@desertshores are you using either gala or mema? Given reported possible side effects, I’m wary w/o an md advising.

Maulik Parekh will ship galatamine to the U.S.; just email him and ask for a quote.
I am sure he will also ship to the UK.

Maulik Parekh
maulik7@gmail.com

120$ / 300 pills Galamer 4 (Galantamine)
30$ / Shipping to USA
Total - 150$

2 Likes

No side effects whatsoever. I especially like Memantine Hydrochloride And Donepezil Hydrochloride. It takes a few weeks to feel results, but it has totally eliminated any morning brain fog.

2 Likes

Excellent and thanks for the tip. Do you take all of them simultaeously with no side effects? I havn’t read up about them yet but will do.

Yes…/./././././././././././.

1 Like

For whatever it’s worth, I stumbled upon this while searching the other day. Not sure how good the quality is. My guess is the India galantamine is a better bet.

Amazon Galantamine

My father tried the Galantamine from Maulik. It appears to cause him muscle soreness, so he’s discontinued usage after a week. Fortunately, we only bought a year’s supply. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s probably a biology and not quality issue. All our other Indian meds are just fine.

2 Likes

@DeStrider do you have any interest in taking the galantamine as well? I planned trying because @Walter_Brown has had such a positive experience. I ordered from alldaychemist(in the middle of August) but unfortunately it was my turn to be unlucky. They sent it through Germany and it made to 40 miles (65 kilometers) from my house before a mistake was made and it was sent back to Germany.

1 Like

I’m a bit young to benefit from Galantamine, so I probably won’t try it. My father will wait a few weeks and try it again to make sure it’s the Galantamine and not something else causing the soreness. But, it doesn’t look good. :frowning:

1 Like

A well reasoned approach. Thanks

Might be worth considering.

Chat gpt o1 helped me interpret this study.

Unforunately for me I found this study indicates that individuals who carry the APOE-4 allele, especially those who are homozygous (APOE 4/4 carriers), tend to respond less effectively to galantamine treatment. In other words, galantamine may be less beneficial for patients with the APOE 4/4 genotype compared to those with other genotypes. The study highlights that the presence of the APOE-4 gene negatively influences the drug’s efficacy and safety in these patients.

2 Likes

We were trying Galantamine combined with Metformin to try and reduce Sarcopenia, but in my Dad’s case it looks like it’s having the opposite effect.

1 Like