The Longevity Spectrum - Where do you place yourself? (Poll)

Where do you place yourself?

• Healthspan Enthusiast
  • Morbidity Preventer
  • Multi-Morbilidity Preventer
  • Core Aging Advocate
  • Maximum Lifespan Extender
  • Immortalist

0 voters

1 Like

I like the top paragraph under each category, but not in agreement with the bottom paragraphs.

5 Likes

As often happens when you try to fit people neatly in boxes, most will spill outside. So too here. In principle, since I believe in extending human life for as long as the laws of physics (let alone biology) allow, I applaud the ambition of Level 6, Immortalist. However, since I don’t believe it is realistic within a timeframe of anyone currently alive, and indeed much longer than that, I focus on the maximum that can be done right now, so Level 3, Multimorbidity Preventer. At the same time, I have my eye out on the bleeding edge of research, and am willing to implement the more realistic even though speculative approaches, which means Level 4, Core Aging Advocate. But since interventions to measurably slow human aging are thin on the ground, even CR has only been tested in monkeys, and rapamycin tested in marmosets, I only have a toe dipped in Level 4.

Realistically, I don’t see myself fitting comfortably in any one box as described, so I place myself awkwardly somewhere between Level 3 and Level 4./shrug/

3 Likes

Hard choice between 4 and 5 here. I think aging is a thing, but the best test for addressing aging is increasing max life span.

2 Likes

It looks like most of us here are not in the immortality / LEV / Aubrey De Grey group of longevity people. It seems many are targeting 120 years, or better.

And I agree with @KarlT , If he’s left just the top description without the second bullet point which doesn’t really seem to be connected as well to the first bullet point, I think he would have been better off.

4 Likes

I want to be immortal yet I’m not excited about cryogenics, whole body transplants and creating a digital copy of myself (which brain uploading is).

3 Likes

I’m just here for a normal lifespan. Not to play crosswords for another 10-15 years.

I’m 46, with a couple ailments, not the best family genetics, am tall (6’3) with a diet/lifestyle that could be described as “eat, sleep, be merry, for tomorrow we die”. (although I work out/walk/and longevity supplement)

I’m here to get to median male age in the US which is late 70s.

Unless healthspan drastically improves to the point that old age looks a lot different than it does now, I’m not super driven to reach 90s etc.

So multi-morbilidity preventer

3 Likes

Maximum lifespan extender here.

1 Like