The "LDL" Kingpin Theory - One Ring To Rule Them All? - (LMHR)

The “LDL” Kingpin Theory - One Ring To Rule Them All? - (LMHR)

This is the particular area of Cardiovascular Disease that interests me and the focus is on the actual mechanism that initiates the formation of plaque in the arteries. My supposition is that it is not just high LDL-C (at least up to 200) that starts the process. That’s necessary but not sufficient. LDL-C is the fuel but lacks the spark to get things started. Possibly at super high levels there is enough pressure for spontaneous combustion. I am not questioning that if you reduce LDL-C to under 30, plaque won’t form/build. I’m also not questioning that as LDL-C rises, especially above 100 that the RISK for plaque growing increases.
However, a cardiologist/lipidologist would consider you perfectly healthy if you have zero plaque, even if your LDL-C is high. If you didn’t want to take lipid lowering medications, they would want to see regular imaging and when plaque appears, you are no longer healthy.
It’s commonly accepted that a number of factors - the main ones being ApoB, blood pressure, blood glucose, obesity and inflammation - contribute to plaque formation. The main question for me is if you optimize or eliminate all but ApoB, as well as lesser known contributors (sparks), would ApoB alone, at levels up to 180, form plaque? This is also what Dave Feldman and his study on LMHR (lean mass hyper-responder) is asking (preliminary results indicate that it doesn’t). LMHRs consider triglycerides (less than 70mg/dL) and HDL-C (more than 80mg/dL) as important factors (LMHR triad).
The purpose of this thread is to zoom in on the arterial wall where, under normal conditions, ApoB particles freely enter and exit the arterial intima through the endothelium. Under certain circumstances - the “SPARK” - causes one or more ApoB particles to get trapped in the intima and unable to exit back into circulation. This is where plaque starts. I want to find out what the “SPARK” (cause) is.

First the disclaimers:
YES, lowering ApoB is the simplist way to reduce or eliminate the risk of plaque formation.
I am not an LDL or a statin “denier”. (I am on atorvastatin and ezetimibe)
I am not on a low-carb or Ketogenic diet but I think that the LMHR (lean mass hyper-responder) model provides some unique insights into the process.
I have read and listened extensively to Lipidologists Thomas Dayspring and William Cromwell - as well as Keto guys Dave Feldman, Nick Norwitz, Dom D’Agostino and Ken Ford. I strongly believe in the science of lipidology and Keto has some interesting points but I think that some spin should be taken into account on both sides.
Specifically for Thomas Dayspring, I think he sees himself more and more as the PR spokesman for lipidology and he wants to keep his message as simple and to the point as possible. His latest presentation at the International Conference on Nutrition in Medicine (ICNM) shows him doubling down on ApoB (LDL) and saying nothing else matters - not HDL, not Triglycerides, not particle size. That’s oversimplifying.
–Although “LDL” is commonly used for “bad” cholesterol, all lipidologists are pushing to test for ApoB (LDL-C has multiple problems - computed scores, no particle count, discordance).

1-s2.0-S0735109715072228-gr1

—Three YouTubes from the Cardiovascular Health thread are most useful to review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfzxnz1sdi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWxMKiI0ZWc&t=2s

Also this link for preliminary data from the Keto-CTA / LMHR Study------

https://cholesterolcode.com/breaking-preliminary-data-from-the-lmhr-study/

1 Like

A number of posts from the Cardiovascular Health thread are relevant here so I’ve collected and condensed them for review. So we don’t rehash the same stuff.

ng0rge
He’s not a lipidologist but what he said didn’t contradict any lipidologist that I’ve watched. Heart disease is not caused by high LDL-C alone, you have to also consider other factors. Lipidologists agree with that. The lean mass hyper-responders, keto and low carb diet are just mentioned in passing at the end.

mccoy
I remember I listened to a stemtalk podcast with Dom D’Agostino and Ken Ford, two staunch followers and supporters of Keto diet. At one point, they discussed the issue of hi cholesterol in LMHR (they both are).
Their conclusion struck me as a ton of bricks, absolutely objective and worthy of two guys who are accustomed to reason according to logic and scientific evidence:
There is no free ride
They just acknowledged the fact that sometimes all the healthspan benefits (they experienced) come with some big detriment attached.
Also, there is no certainty that, over a long time horizon, hi Apob = CV events. There is no certainty but there is a significantly high level of probability.

AnUser
Not even once was a claim made i.e that apoB doesn’t have a real causal effect with a link to a study. I understand how low carb zealots can act now though.

adssx
It is extremely unpleasant to read this conversation. @AnUser: you should start a new thread titled “Why lower is better for ApoB & LDL,”

SouthHill
I was not aware that I was advocating for any diet. Nor am I advocating that ApoB is not causal in CVD. It is my understanding that the scientific consensus is that the presence of ApoB is necessary but not sufficient to cause CVD. I am 100% on board with that. I’m also interested in how to prevent CVD in the presence of ApoB; seems like an important idea.

Virilius
Assuming you have genetically perfect blood cell walls that NEVER let apoB particles through, you theoretically can get away with having high cholesterol values. In practice though, the combination of average cell walls and average apoB count will lead to plaque formation in nearly all cases.

JohnHemming
I think the issue with epithelial cells is senescence, if you can reduce the senescence then you don’t have to worry that much about LDL-C. However, I also think if LDL-C is high something else is probably going wrong.

ng0rge
lipidology does not say that if you have high LDL-C, you will get CVD. Period. Full-Stop. Lots of people have high LDL-C and don’t get heart disease. The biggest issue and the cause of most heart disease (as pointed out in the video) is when you combine high LDL-C, or the much better measure of actual particles, ApoB, with other metabolic problems - like obesity, high blood pressure and faulty blood glucose control(and I would add inflammation). Since these are so common, it’s easy for the medical establishment to say - Just reduce your cholesterol (ApoB/LDL-C) and you reduce your chance of getting CVD - and that’s true. However, it does not mean and lipidologists are not saying, that if you are perfectly lean, healthy, getting good sleep and regular exercise, that having high LDL-C makes you unhealthy (but you should be more careful and keep a close eye on your metabolic biomarkers).
If all of your other health markers are great, high LDL-C does not have to be addressed and will only be a problem when something else goes wrong - of course that may be likely as we age. I don’t think you need superhuman genetics but you should always be careful with your diet, exercise and sleep (and stress). People on this forum are generally well positioned in terms of metabolic health so it’s not like talking to the general public. For the general public…absolutely “Lower your LDL-C!”.
Again, let me be perfectly clear, most studies are based on a representative sampling of the general public so, of course, atherosclerosis is common. But if they rounded up a group with great metabolic health, no obesity, etc. and followed them for all cause mortality just based on LDL-C, my guess would be no statistical difference. Again, not the general public and not just average metabolic health but great.

AnUser
Which lipidologists are saying that high LDL-c doesn’t make you unhealthy, in case of no other risk factors? Do you understand what causality mean? What ‘independent risk factor’ mean?

mccoy
Tom Dayspring says that there are cases with a high ApoB who do not suffer atherosclerosis and that is due to some unknown protective factor. I have been listening to hours of podcasts with him as a guest and he never hinted at the fact that in a healthy population high ApoB does not constitute a risk factor for atherosclerosis.
A few posts above I have cited a stemtalk podcast with Dom D’Agostino and Ken Ford, both staunch keto followers, both healthy guys as far as we know. D’Agostino clearly says, at 00:44, that there is a high atherogenic risk associated with an elevated cholesterol. They just accepted the trade-off with the perceived benefits. I clearly remember Ken Ford saying: “There is no free lunch!”

ng0rge
Absolutely, it’s a risk factor, and the higher your ApoB, the more risk you have of CVD. My point, again, is…You can be perfectly healthy with a high LDL-C. LDL-C ALONE does not cause heart disease.

AnUser
The low carb cult believes that ‘unknown protective factor’ is whatever they do, and they are not like the rest.
There is no heart disease without cholesterol transported through apoB containing lipoproteins. Risk factors can mediate that risk but it is enough on its own to cause disease without any risk factors, if it is increased or not.
As well as in the case of no risk factors, atherosclerosis will still continue developing…

mccoy
The first sentence is true, but you are omitting the probabilities. In the whole population, or even a healthy subgroup, what is the probability that a high LDL-C is associated to CV health (meaning: no significant atherosclerosis)?
The 2nd sentence should be reformulated, citing LDL-C as a proxy for ApoB. Then high ApoB alone according to your thesis would not cause heart disease. But this is not what Tom DAyspring and the preponderance of evidence allude to. High ApoB alone according to this eminent lipidologist is a direct cause of heart disease, since the higher the ApoB, the higher the number of collisions of such particles with the artery walls and the potential initiation of the atherosclerotic process.
I remember that the ‘safe’ threshold according to Daysping depends on other factors like blood pressure, smoke, diabetes and so on. But these just shift the threshold downwards. The threshold remains even in healthy individuals.

Dr. Thomas Dayspring
“My opinion is if you have cardiovascular risk and I’m blowing your ApoB into the stratosphere with a ketogenic diet, I want to make sure I have every other cardiovascular risk factor under control.
But the big worry nowadays, and it’s another whole lecture here is upwards of 40% of people who go on fully ketogenic diets send their ApoB level to high levels or through the roof. And boy, that becomes a whole issue, do I have to worry about that or do you not? Every other study in the history of world says you have to worry about high ApoB. Whether ketogenic induced ApoB is going to be an exception to that rule, somebody would have to do a major clinical trial to prove that.”
“Does everybody in the world who has high LDL cholesterol drop dead of a heart attack? No.”

assdx
Your guess is probably wrong.
This recent study looked at healthy people and found the same association between LDL and atherosclerosis.
What about in adults with optimal risk factors? Somewhat similar pattern.
“LDL-C, even at levels currently considered within normal range, is independently associated with the presence of subclinical coronary atherosclerosis in individuals without traditional CVRFs. Our results suggest that a stricter control of LDL-C levels may be necessary for primary prevention in individuals who are conventionally considered healthy.”

Bettywhitetest
So in this study the main criteria is Non HDL levels (Total cholesterol minus HDL). Essentially ignoring Triglyceride levels if I am seeing this correctly? The conjecture of some people (like Dr. David Diamond in the video from @Bicep above) is that low Triglycerides are a “marker” for the more benign LDL particle size and hence not as indicative of heart disease in a healthy individual. Does his assumption have any merit?
I am curious also why low triglyceride levels would not be included in the Faridi et al. study as a marker of good health along with the other factors they consider such as non-diabetic, decent blood pressure etc. It seems so easy to do as most people get that measure in their lipid blood panel and could have been included in the study.

AnUser
We’ll see the goal posts continue to be moved, first it was LDL doesn’t do anything, then it was LDL doesn’t do anything for the metabolically healthy, then they will further refine the criteria to some very strict definition of healthy, eventually they will ask the analysis to only be done in low carbers.
It’s not possible to reverse atherosclerosis, correct. It’s a part of the arterial wall. Lowering LDL a lot has some regression but it’s probably not clinically significant and reason for event reduction.

Virilius
There is good evidence that high intensity statin therapy, especially when combined with other therapies such as ezetimibe and PCSK9i, can cause significant plaque regression.
Extrapolating from those results, decades of statin therapy might cause all plaque to regress eventually.
@AnUser Seeing how studies consistedly show plaque regression, there must be some mechanism the body is using to get rid of soft plaque.

assdx
Yes plaque regression is possible.

------I will make one correction. William Cromwell in the video above did say that ApoB alone can cause atherosclerosis. My point is that if you look close enough, you will see another factor (SPARK) that is actually causing it.

1 Like

Yes, this is again, what we see in young adults who’ve died in for example war and who’ve been autopsied – fatty streaks. Unless you believe they don’t have all the other ‘causes’ of plaque formation in control before their death. The same is true of children with FH with hyperapoB, plaque formation happens in a shorter timespan with a higher exposure.

It’s quite simple. The plaque you see when other risk factors are not in control was developing before those risk factors became suboptimal. It then accelerates the underlying process always occuring.

1 Like

I’m not questioning what you say. I’m encouraging you, and all of us, to take a closer look at the intima of the arterial wall and the actual start of plaque (even in children) and ask what causes ApoB to get trapped there. I don’t think that’s fully understood and I think it’s worth investigating. I’ve come across some research looking at this with the possibilities of new therapies where you could have moderately high ApoB in circulation but it would be prevented from getting trapped in the intima and wouldn’t cause plaque.

Some key words and processes to look into:
Vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1), vascular smooth muscle cells (SMCs), transcytosis, scavenger receptor SR-BI, glycocalyx, proteoglycans

“In addition, estradiol, vascular endothelial growth factor, interleukins 6 and 17, purinergic signals, and sphingosine-1-phosphate were found to regulate transendothelial transport of either LDL or HDL. Thorough understanding of transendothelial lipoprotein transport is expected to elucidate new therapeutic targets for the treatment or prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33032832/

1 Like

If I am homeless under the shelter of a gas station roof, I’m going to lay down… thinking about nothing… starting getting visions about the arterial wall “how does the ApoB get trapped there?”.

1 Like

He can read…like all of us here…he’s surely interested in the science.
One thing we know is that small dense LDL-P (particles) are more likely to get trapped.

And that when low-carb Keto raises LDL-C it creates a lot more large, fluffy LDL particles.
(And Dayspring says particle size doesn’t matter.)

https://videosolutions.mediasite.com/Mediasite/Play/2b86463212f34235b77446f05783f9021d

The Response-to-Retention Hypothesis of Early Atherogenesis

Many processes have been implicated in early atherogenesis. These include endothelial denudation, injury, or activation, including shear stress–related events; local adherence of platelets; lipoprotein oxidation; lipoprotein aggregation; macrophage chemotaxis and foam cell formation; and smooth muscle cell alterations. Which process, if any, could be regarded as the key event in early atherogenesis, ie, absolutely required, yet also sufficient as the sole pathological stimulus in an otherwise normal artery to provoke a cascade of events leading to lesion formation? The work of many investigators, which we summarize here, strongly supports subendothelial retention of atherogenic lipoproteins as the central pathogenic process in atherogenesis. Our thesis is that other contributory processes are either not individually necessary or are not sufficient. Most often, they are merely normal, expected responses of otherwise-healthy tissue to the presence of retained lipoproteins.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/01.ATV.15.5.551

The Endothelial Glycocalyx: A Possible Therapeutic Target in Cardiovascular Disorders

The physiological, anti-inflammatory, and anti-coagulant properties of endothelial cells (ECs) rely on a complex carbohydrate-rich layer covering the luminal surface of ECs, called the glycocalyx. In a range of cardiovascular disorders, glycocalyx shedding causes endothelial dysfunction and inflammation, underscoring the importance of glycocalyx preservation to avoid disease initiation and progression. In this review we discuss the physiological functions of the glycocalyx with particular focus on how loss of endothelial glycocalyx integrity is linked to cardiovascular risk factors, like hypertension, aging, diabetes and obesity, and contributes to the development of thrombo-inflammatory conditions. Finally, we consider the role of glycocalyx components in regulating inflammatory responses and discuss possible therapeutic interventions aiming at preserving or restoring the endothelial glycocalyx and therefore protecting against cardiovascular disease.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35647072/

*****And for those of you (like @AnUser ) that say high LDL-C will surely cause plaque:

Association of Coronary Plaque With Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Levels and Rates of Cardiovascular Disease Events Among Symptomatic Adults

Four key points emerge from our analyses. First, atherosclerotic burden is heterogeneous across the spectrum of LDL-C levels, and risk is consistently associated with plaque burden. Second, we observed absence of plaque in 46.2% of patients with LDL-C levels of at least 190 mg/dL. This proportion was similar to that in patients with lower LDL-C levels. Third, CCTA-ascertained absence of CAC indicated no detectable plaque in 86.8% of patients, including those with LDL-C levels greater than 190 mg/dL.
Fourth, absence of plaque and CAC was associated with low event rates across the LDL-C spectrum, even when nonobstructive noncalcified plaques were present.

Taken together, our results support the use of CCTA results for risk stratification (including derisking) of symptomatic patients with high LDL-C levels. This is important because such individuals are universally considered to be at high risk with very low LDL-C goals that can only be achieved by treatment with statins in combination with novel therapies to lower lipid levels. Among the large proportion of patients with LDL-C levels of at least 190 mg/dL who have no atherosclerotic plaque, the net benefit of such intensive treatment is questionable.

Even in untreated patients with genetically verified familial hypercholesterolemia, many do not develop clinical events.30 Further, within the same family, the clinical penetrance differs markedly. These findings demonstrate that a number of additional factors beyond elevated LDL-C levels affect atherogenesis in the individual patient, despite LDL-C level being the pathophysiological causal agent in atherogenesis.31 This principle is supported by the observation that ASCVD risk in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia is modified by other known risk factors beyond LDL-C levels.7,31,32 Thus, the theoretical advantage of using information about coronary artery disease severity from CCTA in patients with high LDL-C levels is its ability to provide insight into the lifetime exposure to both known and unknown risk modifiers as well as the susceptibility for developing atherosclerosis in the individual patients.

Our data show that absence of atherosclerotic plaque and CAC in middle-aged symptomatic patients with high LDL-C levels (≥190 mg/dL) is a common finding associated with low risk. Even if nonobstructive, noncalcified plaque was present, absence of CAC was associated with low event rates.

Thus, if no obstructive coronary artery disease is present on the CCTA finding, the simple quantification of CAC can identify patients at low risk for ASCVD despite high LDL-C concentrations, without the need for more complex quantification of noncalcified plaque burden. This has important clinical implications because it suggests that allocation of add-on therapies to lower lipid levels, such as proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 inhibitors, in patients with high LDL-C levels could be informed by severity of coronary artery disease. This information would allow for the allocation of expensive long-term therapies to those patients with severe hypercholesterolemia most likely to benefit, whereas such therapies could be avoided in patients with limited absolute benefit.8 That being said, the median follow-up in our study was relatively short at 4.2 years.

Thus, the results may be used primarily to withhold additional novel and expensive therapies to lower lipid levels and thereby reach very low LDL-C level targets in those patients with CAC scores of 0 who would derive limited absolute benefit.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2788975

3 Likes

I’m hoping you can set a new record for deleted posts. If you work hard it won’t be broken for decades.

What does it mean to have a high cholesterol measurement and a zero calcium score?

In general, a high cholesterol score — generally a score of ≥190 milligrams per deciliter of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) — alongside a zero CAC score indicates a low risk of coronary heart disease.

In a 2019 study, researchers challenged the notion that having a high LDL-C is independently a risk factor for heart disease and cardiac events. They found that a CAC score of zero, along with a few other factors, puts people living with high LDL-C scores in a low risk group for cardiac events.

The other associated factors the researchers noted included:

• absence of diabetes
  • younger age
  • assigned female at birth

Calcium score test of zero

A person living with high levels of cholesterol could still have a CAC score of zero. In most cases, a person who receives a score of zero has a reduced risk of developing heart disease.

The American College of Cardiology Foundation’s (ACCF’s) 2018 guidelines indicate that a person who receives a zero CAC score does not need to take statins immediately.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/high-cholesterol-but-zero-calcium-score#what-do-the-results-mean

“I’m Dave Feldman, and many of you probably already know my story by now. I did not at all mean to get into this research. What happened was I went on a low-carb diet in 2015, saw my lipids jump through the roof, and I became obsessed with trying to understand why that happened, particularly given my other first-degree relatives had also gone on a low-carb diet and did not see their cholesterol levels go sky high. I then started doing a number of experiments, was blogging about it; it garnered more and more interest. I started to do presentations on it. And those were the beginnings of what we now call the lipid energy model. And that ultimately then led to recognition of this phenotype that it’s not just about the high LDL; it’s also about the high HDL cholesterol and the low triglycerides, this triad. And that led to identifying this phenotype lean mass hyper-responders that have this triad at extreme levels. And from there, beyond just wanting to develop this model, I wanted to also see if we could study lean mass hyper-responders and that led to the development of the Citizen Science Foundation.”

https://www.levels.com/podcasts/255-why-you-might-be-a-lean-mass-hyper-responder-if-you-go-keto-but-have-high-cholesterol-dave-feldman-dr-nick-norwitz-dr-dominic-dagostino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItNGrGNvESY

1 Like

Gotta delete em’ all before RapAdmin or his hounds find them :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, there are some people who will never develop plaque even with very high LDL-C. But no medication exists that specifically strengthens the cell walls. Medications/supplements that lower triglycerides have shown promise in studies (e.g. omega 3) while drugs that were developed to increase HDL-C have consistedly failed so far. Until further studies come out I remain sceptical.

1 Like

Here is another tremendous resource for RapaNews users. It’s based around ApoE4 but that allele also affects CVD and lipid levels. There’s some great info there about blood glucose and insulin because as we know those have wide ranging effects.

https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Main_Page

Cholesterol, Lipids and Treatments, including statins

“This is a horrendously complex topic…GLYCAEMIC CONTROL TRUMPS LIPIDS, EVERY TIME. (Read Insulin Resistance for info on glycemic control). You have been dealt a hand of cards. You need to play them cleverly. IR (Insulin Resistance) is far more damaging than a high LDL, but LDL still matters. We are on a seesaw trying to balance these two. The balance point will be different in everyone.” - Stavia, as posted in the Primer. E4s are at higher risk of cardiovascular disease, yet cholesterol is an important component in brain health. How do we resolve the two?

My question is…Why?
If high LDL-C/ApoB is both necessary AND sufficient, why do these people not get plaque? and the corollary…how long can they go with high ApoB and no plaque?

My posts above show they can go at least 4-5 years with zero plaque.

They are genetic outliers. Perhaps their cell walls are incredibly resistant to plaque formation or they have an optimal clearance system in place. Nothing we can simulate with drugs yet, sadly.

If high LDL-C/ApoB is both necessary AND sufficient

It is definitely necessary and approximately sufficient (for the vast, vast majority of people).

Those people are, in my opinion, no more common than centenarians who smoke and drink alcohol every day. But we will need further studies to explore this.

1 Like

The 2019 Danish study I posted above looked at 23,143 patients and of the ones with LDL-C levels of at least 190 mg/dL, 46.2% had a zero CAC score. That doesn’t seem like a small number.

Results A total of 23 143 patients with a median age of 58 (IQR, 50-65) years (12 857 [55.6%] women) were included in the analysis. During median follow-up of 4.2 (IQR, 2.3-6.1) years, 1029 ASCVD and death events occurred. Across all LDL-C strata, absence of CAC was a prevalent finding (ranging from 438 of 948 [46.2%] in patients with LDL-C levels of at least 190 mg/dL

I certainly think that it’s worth taking a closer look at what’s happening here. Not only will we learn more about the process but there also may be new therapeutic solutions.

1 Like

A positive CAC score is the late stage progression of ASCVD where existing plaque has calcified to prevent it from bursting. That doesn’t equal there being no soft plaque.

1 Like

I thought you read it. Yes, you’re right but the difference was negligible.
“Across all LDL-C strata, rates were similar and low in those with CAC scores of 0, regardless of whether they had no plaque or purely noncalcified plaque.”

By the way, even lipidologists are taking Lean Mass Hyper-Responders seriously enough to comment on. Here, from the Journal of Clinical Lipidology:

Journal of Clinical Lipidology on Lean Mass Hyper Responders.pdf (214.8 KB)

1 Like

Across all LDL-C strata, absence of CAC was a prevalent finding (ranging from 438 of 948 [46.2%] in patients with LDL-C levels of at least 190 mg/dL to 4370 of 7964 [54.9%] in patients with LDL-C levels of 77-112 mg/dL) and associated with no detectable plaque in most patients, ranging from 338 of 438 (77.2%) in those with LDL-C levels of at least 190 mg/dL to 1067 of 1204 (88.6%) in those with LDL-C levels of less than 77 mg/dL.

438/948 (54.9%) people with high LDL-C have no calcified plaque and 338/948 (35.6%) people with high LDL-C have no detectable plaque.
1204/2430 (49.5%) people with low LDL-C have neither calcified nor any plaque at all. So a higher proportion of the low LDL-C group developed no plaque.
Also, the high LDL-C group was fewer in size than the other comparison groups.

I would say it would be interesting to study the LMHRs and split them into 3 groups: 1 eats a keto diet, 1 eats a “healthy” carb diet and 1 eats whatever they want but takes medication. Then follow them for 5 years or so and check how plaque progresses compared to the general population.

1 Like

Yes, definitely. I’m a big believer in the science of lipidology and have read extensively. Lower LDL-C (fuel), particularly ApoB, when combined with a spark will cause less plaque and it will accumulate slower. But for those, a significant number, with all that fuel (ApoB) floating around in their circulation, how do they avoid a spark? And is that something we can control? The Keto LMHRs may be onto something, the control, but Keto has it’s own problems, namely saturated fat, but maybe that’s not part of what’s making it work that way.

More notably, LM’s data demonstrate that the LMHR phenotype can exist in the context of a CRD that is relatively low in saturated fat. While this possibility was suggested by our cohort data (given the low likelihood that lean metabolically healthy participants selectively consumed CRDs richer in saturated fat, as compared with those with higher BMI and TG/HDL-C ratio on CRDs), we were previously unable to demonstrate that high relative intake of saturated fat is not required to produce the LMHR phenotype. However, LM’s dietary fat profiles were >80% unsaturated prior to the drawings of his two highest LDL-C (August and September 2020). Conversely, LM’s most recent labs, drawn following both weight gain and a marked increase saturated fat intake, reveal a relative decrease in LDL-C from peak. Thus, saturated fat intake is not a primary driver of LDL-C change in LM.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9048595/

1 Like

We could simulate that with SGLT2 inhibitors that have shown benefit for heart disease treatment despite slightly raising lipids. Though it’s unclear whether this effect comes from increased ketogenesis, lower blood sugar levels or lower salt levels.

1 Like

Keto is interesting…I haven’t looked into it that much. You might be able to tweak it to make it much better. Certainly it seems replacing most of the saturated fat with unsaturated would help. Then maybe adjusting the amount of carbs to your individual needs, by testing, might yield the optimal situation. Carbs are problematic, mainly their direct effect on blood sugar, but that goes on to affect your brain and cardiovascular. I’m not totally opposed to pharmaceuticals, I’m on a statin, but as I’ve said before, I’d like to know how far, in longevity and health, you could get without them. Just using the so-called “natural” interventions - diet, exercise, sleep, no stress/ positive mental state. We know much more about those now and how to tweak them for optimal results. I’m happy to take rapamycin because it’s pleiotropic and I don’t think caloric restriction could replace it. But if they ever come up with a “natural” routine that allows you to live as long and be as healthy (without being miserable) as rapamycin/pharmaceuticals…I’m all for it!
Clearly, of all the major diseases, cardiovascular appears to be the one we’re biologically (at least men) most disposed to. It has my attention and I want to understand it in as much detail as possible.

1 Like

4 Likes

It’ interesting that Thomas Dayspring in his latest presentation really downplays the importance of HDL-C and Triglycerides, implying that they don’t matter.

https://videosolutions.mediasite.com/Mediasite/Play/2b86463212f34235b77446f05783f9021d

I found this page to have a lot of good info.

https://www.levels.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-understanding-your-cholesterol-panel-and-metabolic-blood-tests

Triglyceride-to-HDL Ratio

Why is it important?

Dr. Hyman: This test is the best way to check for insulin resistance other than the insulin response test. According to a paper published in Circulation , the most powerful test to predict your risk of a heart attack is the ratio of your triglycerides-to-HDL. If the ratio is high, then your risk for a heart attack increases 16-fold—or 1,600 percent! This is because triglycerides go up and HDL or good cholesterol goes down with diabesity (insulin resistance).

Dr. D’Agostino: Triglycerides to HDL-cholesterol ratio has been shown to show the strongest association with cardiovascular disease than any other lipid marker or ratio.

Dr. Maloof: Triglyceride-to-HDL-C ratio is an important indicator of heart disease risk from standard testing.

Dr. Lustig: The triglyceride to HDL ratio is the best biomarker of small dense LDL, the best biomarker of cardiovascular disease, and the best surrogate marker of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.