So, what's the deal with collagen?

Lots of people still think bone broth is the way to get collagen.

1 Like

Extra (glycin-rich) protein can’t hurt in any case.

4 Likes

Hi @desertshores do you still use this product? Do you use it on your face or body? Many thanks!

I used it for years. It helped control actinic keratosis and other skin blemishes. It is especially good, IMO, for sun-damaged skin. My actinic keratosis and other skin problems have cleared up since I started taking rapamycin. I now just use CeraVu.

Another option for collagen is beef tendon, which contains 5.5x to 23.4x more collagen than the rest of the cow, depending on the cut. You can use it in Pho and it takes on a tender and gelatinous consistency. This is a much tastier option than hydrolyzed collagen powder in a shake.

1 Like

I take a teaspoonful of collagen in my first cup of tea (with a little bit of vanillin). I think it is useful to top things up, but again it is one of those things which relates to fixing symptoms.

1 Like

meaning better skin? or joint?

Both. Less or no pain in the joints, better skin overall, less wrinkles.

1 Like

I put two scoops of Vital Proteins collagen, plus TriMethylGlycine, plus NMN (I am almost out of the NMN and probably will not continue using), plus some Allulose and a tiny bit of Turmeric powder, into black tea, plus a little whole fat cream. Have gotten used to the taste – it’s fine. Prefer the supplements in tea rather than coffee. I also have been using Tretinoin since I was a teenager, for acne (I am 74 now)and still using. Also have been taking Chondroitin and Glucosamine for many years, and added UCII collagen a few years ago. Careful about sun, sunscreen. Skin is good. No wrinkles.

8 Likes

I am currently using Adapalene 0.1%. Would be 0.3% be even more effective?

I would switch to 0.05% tretinoin.

2 Likes

Possibly, but I haven’t seen any direct comparisons between the two for photoprotection. In dermatology, we generally tell patients that stronger retinoids work better for acne but don’t necessarily work better for photo damage, and of course stronger retinoids are significantly more irritating to skin. It’s still a bit unclear because there are contradictory studies out there, but we know lower potency retinoids still work well, and because they are more tolerable, people are more likely to stick with them.

why should I switch? Do I have to use either or?

I was taking 40g collagen daily for about a month with the goal of increasing intake of most amino acids, while also restricting further isoleucine, methionine, and cysteine intake.

Sadly I had to stop because it was seriously disrupting my sleep. I normally get great sleep and when I started waking up every night, wide awake, in the middle of the night, it was very noticeable. Twice I stopped taking collagen for a few days and my sleep returned to normal.

I may try supplementing glycine alone, which hopefully won’t give me the same issue. If it doesn’t, then maybe this was a more non-specific effect due to altered amino acid ratios or perhaps due to bioactive peptides.

It seems the consensus is that collagen and glycine are beneficial for sleep, so maybe I’m just an outlier and/or my relatively high dose of collagen was to blame, but I found some reports on Reddit claiming glycine and/or collagen led to similar issues.

4 Likes

When did you take your collagen? You may want to take it early in the morning as glycine is usually metabolized in 4 hours. I would assume collagen is similar?

1 Like

I was mostly taking it at night, but the few times I tried earlier in the day it didn’t seem to make a difference. In the future I might try it exclusively in the morning.

1 Like

I’ve now been taking 3g glycine when I wake up, and most nights taking a second dose of 3g. Additionally, I’ve been taking 25g of collagen most days (usually in the middle of the day).

Absolutely no sleep issues like I was getting with 40g/day collagen.

2 Likes

why should I switch? Do I have to use either or?

Because tretinoin has been used and studied for decades, so it has way more evidence of efficacy (and safety) than newer adapalene.

5 Likes

I am 23 F new here. can someone just tell me what will build collagen long-term? There is so much complicated information here.

Collagen Peptides will help you build collagen. I use either Sports Research or Vital Proteins brands. Ingested hyaluronic acid is also supposed to help with skin maintenance.

2 Likes