So, what's the deal with collagen?

Thanks, I’ve been taking collagen peptides but I didn’t know if there were treatments more effective at building collagen overtime. For example, I did a CO2 laser about a year ago. I also read a study that rapamycin inhibits collagen production and I have some reservations about that. Tbf my media literacy isn’t the greatest.

1 Like

Rapamycin modulated downward cell growth when it is inhibiting mTORC1, so yes, I would expect some reduction in collagen growth during peak rapamycin dosing period, just as you would see less muscle growth (and wound healing) when you are at maximum doses of rapamycin and especially immediately after (the 24 hours afterwards) doing rapamycin.

But, the researchers like Brian Kennedy talk about rapamycin being like a dial that helps turn down mTORC during periods of time, because as people age mTOR becomes more disregulated and the basal (base) level of TOR (the nutrient sensing pathway) trends higher and doesn’t turn down after “nutrition is sensed”. People who are eating excess nutrition (and thus who are gaining excess levels of weight) have TOR turned on a higher percent of the time, and this is why overweight (especially diabetic) people tend to age much faster than people who are calorically restricted. Having mTOR turned on all the time might help with collagen growth, but it also helps with all types of cellular growth including cancers, etc.

I recommend you listen to this video segment: https://youtu.be/dvroImU-1zs?si=bcudZ00-nMEBNmrc&t=402

I’ve not dove deep into the collagen boosting research but I think you are right about lasers (some types of laser resurfacing) helping collagen growth.

Other things (though probably to a much lesser degree) include: 9 ways to stimulate collagen production in skin

Perhaps also of interest: So, what's the deal with collagen?

7 Likes

FWIW

1 Like

it also inhibits muscle synthesis, and here we are :rofl:
there is organized collagen synthesis and there is disorganized… as we get older everything becomes more chaotic, e.g. monoclonal spikes on SPEP become more common due to plasma cells turning out non-functional antibodies and so on. OLD=CHAOS, rapamycin puts breaks on chaos so order can be restored - sort of as I understand at least

7 Likes

I guess I don’t understand how it can make people look younger then

This is your aging body without rapamycin.
idiocracy-armageddon

3 Likes

Actually a pretty good visualization! :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like