Skin Anti-aging Effects of Tirbanibulin 1% Ointment: A Real-Life Experience

In this small case study, tirbanibulin 1% ointment, used to treat sun damage caused actinic keratosis, also showed improvement in other skin aging parameters such as wrinkles and mottled pigmentation. The before/after photos show

Conclusions

Tirbanibulin 1% ointment seems able to improve skin aging as a desirable side effect at the site of application for AKs on chronic photodamaged skin. Such preliminary observation needs further confirmation in real-life studies on larger cohorts of patients, to explain the pathogenic mechanisms responsible for such aesthetically relevant results.

Full Open Access Paper:

Related:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/tirbanibulin-topical-application-route/side-effects/drg-20506427?p=1

India Pricing:

About $100 to $150 per package it seems (83 rupees to the US$)

8 Likes

Good find!
A little pricey,~ $150 plus shipping from India, But, normally you only do a 5-day treatment.
Next time I have a problem I will ask my dermatologist for a prescription.
It’s been around since 2020. I am surprised my dermatologist never mentioned it.
Perhaps they make more money prescribing “Blue Light” therapy.

2 Likes

Klysiri is difficult to get covered by insurance, especially Medicare (and most pts who need it are Medicare-age). Patients also can’t use the manufacturer’s copay discount cards if they have Medicare. It’s much easier to prescribe 5-fluorouracil, which also “cleans out” actinic keratoses and has always seemed to have a beneficial secondary off-target cosmetic benefit, although treatment time is 2-4 weeks and comes with redness, peeling and often scabbing/pain (but looks beautiful once it’s over!). Some dermatology providers have been combining it with calcipotriene cream, which according to one study cuts the treatment time down to 4 days when using both, with similar results. My experience is that the 5-fu by itself x 2-4 weeks works better (and also, calcipotriene can be difficult to get covered by insurance since it’s indicated for psoriasis not AKs).

The “blue light” aka aminolevulonic acid with photodynamic therapy (ALA-PDT) works well, too, and often also has a secondary positive cosmetic beneft. The major downside is that the light treatment usually hurts like hell (“the longest 4 minutes and 10 seconds of my life”, according to some patients), and usually requires 2 or 3 treatments (one per month) for max benefit.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Tirbanibulin is better. From my read, it is more than twice as effective both short and long term and certainly easier to comply with the treatment.

“An average of 49% of patients treated with 5% 5FU and 34.8% of patients treated with 0.5% 5FU achieved complete clearance.16 Continued complete clearance of treatment area with 5% 5FU at the 1-year follow-up was reported in one study to be 33% The pooled review of these trials reported that 49% of participants who received a once daily application for 5 consecutive days of drug achieved complete (100%) clearance of AKs in the treatment area on day 57. Also, 72% of participants who received drug achieved partial clearance of AKs defined as greater than or equal to 75% clearance of AK lesions.14 It was estimated that 47% of patients who achieved complete clearance at day 57 would have recurrence of previously cleared lesions at 1 year.”

Means fewer visits to the dermatologist. Doesn’t look like a treatment they are highly interested in recommending.

1 Like

Very interesting
I would be willing to give it a try but also looking at 5-Flu from what I found to is about a 10th of the cost from India mart
Has anyone tried 5 - FLU for wrinkles with any success at all?
Seems like it might be the. Simpler and cheaper form to try at least to start
Thoughts ??

Agree. Better product, but expensive and not typically covered by insurance. I am currently trying the Flurouricil.

As I said previously, it’s about the coverage. Insurance companies will not cover an expensive new drug until you either try/fail the old one(s) or unless there is a specific contraindication to the older/cheaper meds.

1 Like

Here in Spain it costs 75 euros in pharmacy (prescription needed).

1 Like

Just so i understand correctly, tirbanibulin treats:

This is what many people use tretinoin for, right? But this is a five day application for $150 per tube (more than the five days?)? And then tretinoin is $30 a tube per month for a six-month application (say $25 on sale…) so $150?

So they’re both $150 for the same results, but tretinoin takes 5.75 months longer?

I must be misunderstanding something. If i do understand correctly, this would easier and faster for the same price. (Assuming no side effects, bad reactions, etc.)

Here in the USA at least, it’s over $1000 for a single box of five packets.

1 Like

So i massively misunderstood. Maybe i had seen an Indian pharma price and mixed that up.

(Cue end of “Risky Business”:slight_smile: Tretinoin it is!

Apologies for bugging, but I have emailed each pharmacy listed in the image in India. None of them replied. I also reached out to my regular supplier who said they didn’t stock. Have you or anyone following this thread been able to source? If so, would it please be possible to share how to source. Thank you.

I bought it in Spain with prescription ( 75 euros).

2 Likes

@ Eli

Can you report your personal experience with it, dose / time of use / effects?

A vacation in Spain and visit to a prescribing physician seems to fit nicely with the cost of the medication here. Double benefit!