Samsung debuts a ‘smart ring’ with health-tracking features (CNBC)

I like this, and I like the fact that (from what I’ve heard) it won’t have a monthly subscriber fee like the Oura ring. Given everything seems to come with a subscription fee these days… I’m getting sick of them. I’m sure when if first comes out it won’t be as good as the Oura… but overtime, Samsung has the resources to do well in this market.

An investor friend once told me, he always bets on the tech companies that can hire the best graduates out of science and engineering schools, and in Korea Samsung is that company. Its a good longterm bet.

Samsung Galaxy Ring features

Pak said the ring, which is fitted with sensors, will be able to give readings on heart rate, respiratory rate, the amount of movement made during sleep and the time it takes a person to fall asleep once in bed.

He also said the ring will be able to give a user a “vitality score” which “collects data about physical and mental readiness to see how productive you can be.”

All of that will be accessible through the Samsung Health app.

The ring is set to go on sale this year, but Pak did not give a timeline or the pricing.

Pak also said the company is considering adding a feature that would allow the Galaxy Ring to do contactless payments, as with smartphones.

“We have a whole … team that is looking at that. But I think clearly looking at multiple different use cases for the Ring beyond just health, for sure,” Pak said.

The Samsung executive also said the company is working on noninvasive glucose monitoring as well as blood pressure sensing through its wearable devices.

“I think we have some ways to go,” Pak said of noninvasive glucose monitoring. Currently, people use devices that pierce the skin to check glucose levels. A noninvasive way to do that would be a huge step.

5 Likes

I look forward to the competition between Oura and Samsung (and Apple?).

2 Likes

And look forward to this :point_up_2:

2 Likes

There’s another ring for sleep tracking … Ultrahuman Ring AIR

I found out about it from a Wired review. It doesn’t have a subscription.

3 Likes

With respect to subscriptions: near the end of the article it says,

“The executive (Pak) also said the company is “considering” a subscription service for its Samsung Health app, but that the capabilities and insights it offers need to be improved before that can happen. AI assistants can help.”

2 Likes

Id rather have lactate testing…

1 Like

abbot has been working on that via similar format as their CGM

do you know anyone working on it without any micro needle, ie via optical reading?

No but supposedly lactate could be very useful for endurance athletes setting their training zones

1 Like

Continuous Lactate Monitors are Poised to Reshape Pro Cycling: ‘The Most Important Revolution since Heart Rate Monitors’

Real-time lactate-measuring devices could change the game of endurance training – and they’re on the way

Biosensors will be the most important revolution since heart rate monitors over 40 years ago,” Iñigo San Millán, director of performance at UAE Team Emirates and Tadej Pogačar‘s personal coach, told Velo.

San Millán works across both healthcare and endurance sport and is collaborating on one such project right now.

There’s been chatter for some time about the development of a live lactate sensor similar to the wearable continuous glucose monitors made popular by Supersapiens.

Abbott is the medical- and health-focused tech giant that provides Supersapiens with its biosensors and is among those racing to launch a first-mover CLM.

It made a limited launch of its “Lingo” glucose monitors earlier this year, and there are rumors Abbott will incorporate lactate tracking into the Lingo technology sometime soon.

Meanwhile, PK Vitality is also reported to be working on a competitor “K’Watch Athlete” continuous lactate product.

“If continuous lactate measurement is possible, it would be huge,” Astana Qazaqstanhead of performance Vasilis Anastopoulos told Velo.

3 Likes

CONTINUOUS LACTATE MONITOR DEVICES

There are several companies competing to be the first to launch a CLM on the market. Interestingly, they are using different types (measurement methods) of continuous lactate meters. The first continuous lactate biosensor will be launched in April 2024…

Here’s an overview of (soon to be) available continuous lactate monitoring devices:

IDRO CONTINUOUS LACTATE PATCH

The Belgium company IDRO has a working real-time lactate sensing smart patch. It measures lactate levels from sweat, and relies on an enzyme-based sensor.

Their CLM sensor also measures pH and skin temperature. Readings are streamed to your smartphone via bluetooth.

IDRO aims to launch their product in April 2024. Contrary to other companies, this goal seems very realistic, given the fact that the lactate patch is already used in scientific research and product demos.

IDRO continuous lactate monitor device based on sweat analysis

IDRO continuous lactate monitor device based on sweat analysis (source: IDRO Instagram)

In the research, the sweat measurements of the IDRO device were compared with gold standard lactate measurements. A good correlation between both measurements was found (R² = 0,95) with a difference ranging from 2 to 11%.

IDRO continuous lactate measurements in sweat vs blood (source: IDRO Instagram)

Initially, IDRO will focus on providing their product to performance test centers and coaches. Afterwards they want to make their CLM available for all athletes.

Unfortunately, they were not yet able to communicate how much this continuous lactate monitor will cost. To get an idea of CLM pricing, we need to look at one of their competitors:

K’WATCH CONTINUOUS LACTATE WATCH

The French company PK Vitality announced that their K’Watch continuous lactate device will be available in 2024. It’s a wearable CLM, worn as an armband or watch.

K’Watch continuous lactate wearable (source: PKvitality)

The sensor measures lactate levels when in contact with the skin, without blood samples. This makes it a pain free monitor. The “SkinTaste technology” sensor measures lactate in the interstitial fluid (between blood vessels and cells). The sensor should be replaced every 30 days.

Pricing? This K’Watch continuous lactate monitor costs $199. The sensor costs an additional $90.90 per month. It will be available as soon as medical certification is being passed.

ABBOTT – LINGO

Contrary to the other two companies, Abbott is a company you may have heard of already. The Abbott libre sense glucose sensor is the sensor used by Supersapiens for continuous glucose monitoring.

Abbott libre sense glucose sensor, used by Supersapiens for continuous glucose monitoring.

During the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) 2022, Abbott launched their plans for a metabolic profile coach, Lingo. Lingo will continuously measure: glucose, lactate, ketone and alcohol. Watch the 5 minute presentation about Lingo here:

Rumours suggest Abbott will launch their lactate tracking system and app this year (2024). However, during the WIRED Health event in March 2023 Abbott repeatedly referred to 2028 in phrases like:

“In 2028, you may wake up to an app giving you personalized recommendations (…) We’re not there quite yet, but it’s not far off.” – Marc Taub (Abbott) in March 2023.

Regardless of when they will make their continuous lactate monitor available, it will probably be a huge competitor for all other companies.

Their existing continuous glucose sensor is a minimal invasive sensor, measuring glucose just underneath the skin. You need to replace the sensor every 14 days, but applying the sensor is painless. This biosensor costs roughly €160 per month, depending on your Supersapiens plan.

CONCLUSION: ARE CLMS WORTH IT?

Continuous lactate monitors are about to enter the market. Professional coaches and athletes say it will revolutionize athletic performance.

I personally believe CLMs indeed have the potential to join fundamental sensors like heart rate monitors and power meters. Contrary to continuous glucose monitors, I believe CLMs will be implemented and embraced much faster. That is due to the fact that many coaches and athletes already know what to do with lactate data.

2 Likes

The other very interesting possibility for smart rings (since they have motion sensors and bluetooth) is for use as an air-mouse with augmented reality headsets. Apple’s new Vision Pro and particularly the spatial videos in 3D, I think will have an impact as they evolve.

1 Like

Just wish someone also could make a continuous insulin monitor…

I’ve had an Ultrahuman Ring Air for 4 days now and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. The heart rate monitor is wildly inaccurate. For example I just went on a vigorous walk where I measured my HR manually at 120 and it said my HR was 59 the whole time. My HR never goes below 80 due to an ablation procedure I had years ago. When I contacted customer support they said it’s a “known issue” and they’re working on it. Well, the thing is basically useless if it’s not measuring HR accurately.

Additionally, the sleep measurement function is not accurate and neither is the number of steps per day. Multiple reviewers have posted about their experiences having both the ring and fitbit or something similar and the numbers from the devices vary by thousands of steps at the end of the day.

Not a happy customer here and I’ll be returning it for a refund!

2 Likes

This is why I stick with Garmin watch over something like Whoop (useless).

Subscription can be great for temporary use to reduce upfront costs like CGM or lactate monitor to learn patterns.

Do you mean for cycling/running type activities - or also for eg sleep tracking?

I’ve found the trends in respiratory rate, HRV, resting HR to be useful, but would value to know if it is bad for those types of things (compared to anything other wearable).

But have used Garmin for running and when on my exercise bike.

Wrist optical heart rate are very prone to artifact, if you start pumping your wrist for example when lifting weights, mountain biking or even playing guitar, you will get some wild reading - HR shooting up to 180. Garmin wrist watch is prone to same issues however it allows you to connect to a chest strap, whereas Whoop stubbornly refuses to to that. Whoop may be better for sleep and their software is super nice, but collecting garbage data during the day makes it useless for me… add to this the subscription and the fact my Garmin Epix has a display where I can instantly see my data, time, etc. + flashlight makes the latter infinitely more useful.

Ok, thx @Dr.Bart - just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.