Powdered Rapamycin from Science.bio

Has anyone tried the powdered rapamycin from Science.bio? It’s $99 for 500mg powder. May be a good way to make a topical?

6 Likes

Great find.

Assuming pharmaceutical purity, this would work great to add to:

• topical face cream,
  • toothpaste, &/or
  • topical minoxidil.

Far cheaper than buying filled capsules from a compounding pharmacy (which I’ve done for the past year).

Key questions:

• How does one get an “approved account”?
  • Does one need to get established as a research company or individual?
  • Can an M.D. get an “approved account”?

Just found their approval page: Approval Program
If one could procure high quality enteric capsules, this could turn out less expensive than importing from India.

Can we crowd source a solution for this?

I put in an approval application. Lots of questions, nothing particularly hard or unexpected.

It required a 150 character statement of what I intend to do with the stuff and what equipment one intended to use. I entered the following:

To test the effects of rapamycin on yeast:
Shaking incubator (30°C for yeast growth)
YPD growth media
Sterile culture flasks
Spectrophotometer to measure OD of yeast cultures
Rapamycin stock solution (typically 2 mM in 90% ethanol-10% Tween 20)
Micropipettes
96-well plates for serial dilutions
Cell Analysis Equip.
Solid YPD agar plates for spotting assays
Colony counter to quantify growth
Radioactive methionine (35S-methionine) for protein labeling
Scintillation counter
Glass beads - 0.3-0.5 mm d for cell lysis
Vortex mixer for cell disruption
RNA and Protein Analysis
RNA extraction kit (e.g., RiboPure yeast RNA purification kit)
Nanodrop or spectrophotometer for RNA quantification
qPCR machine for gene expression analysis
SDS-PAGE equipment for protein separation
Western blot apparatus for protein detection
Microscopy
Mathematica software for data analysis & graphing
Goal: Comprehensive analysis of rapamycin’s effects on yeast, including growth inhibition, cell cycle arrest, protein synthesis, and gene expression changes.

We’ll see.

5 Likes

People have also had good luck with this vendor:

Some other posters have vouched (3rd party analysis, personal side effects) for Rapamycin sourced from http://www.hhdpharm.cn/en-us/ (WHP)

I was quoted:

USD$60 Per 1000mg
USD$120 Per 2000mg
USD$300 Per 5000mg

+$50 for shipping, and any wire fees (typically $15 USD).

Good service, easy to deal with.

I lost my first 1g shipment to Customs, but ordered a 2nd shipment (I redirected from WHP to a business contact in China, who repackaged, on-forwarded to me) of 4000mg for $220 delivered, or USD, $0.055/mg. They gave me a deal on 2nd order to compensate for the lost shipment.

My contact: hhdpharm06@outlook.com (Sophia Jiang)

From this thread: Sirolimus Powder - 3rd party analysis

5 Likes

Wow, I misread Rapamycin for something else a few times. This is huge news, especially since science.bio is known for being very reliable. I’d imagine it could be dissolved in DMSO and taken orally, though that’s something worth checking more carefully.

The recommended storage temperature for Rapamycin varies quite a bit. Sigma-Aldrich provides this source suggesting -20°C is recommended for long-term storage:
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/deepweb/assets/sigmaaldrich/product/documents/418/960/r8781dat.pdf#:~

=Store%20the%20product%20sealed%20at%20%E2%80%9320%20%C2%B0C.,is%20stable%20for%20at%20least%202%20years.

However, they also note the following:

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/KR/en/sds/sigma/r0395#:~

=10.2%20Chemical%20stability%20The%20product%20is%20chemically,under%20standard%20ambient%20conditions%20(room%20temperature)%20.

1 Like

They make you send some i.d. and jump through some hoops, but once you are verified it’s not too hard to order. They take Zelle, for example. They do have COAs on the site. I ordered some.

1 Like

I sourced my caffeine from them for the past few years, which also required an approved account. Generally for these situations I inform the vendor that I’m studying binding thermodynamics via isothermal titration calorimetry.

Bought a lot of products from science.bio and they’ve always been legit. The only issue I ever had was a batch of aniracetam that had residual solvent.

1 Like