Peter Diamandis Longevity Protocol: Weekly 6mg Rapamycin + 100 mg Doxycycline

Do you get it from india or does your doctor prescribe?

With no reports of early aging in the millions of kids treated with the tetracyclines over the decades. I took it for years and Im doing alright at 61.

2 Likes

Using doxy in your youth and saying you had no side effects feels comparable to saying I smoked daily as a teenager or downed 2L of Coke daily.

You can do a lot when you are young and your body can compensate. It would be better to have someone who is in the midst of hair loss and aging effects to be a guinea pig…

3 Likes

Well, and since my teen years, I take minocycline 100 mg day up to the present day. So, of course its an N of 1.

3 Likes

Others may know more/better, but I believe it may be very important to note that in a lot of genetic/gene therapy studies doxycycline is just used as an (inert/neural) On/Off switch for the actual thing they are studying. In this paper that seems to be exact case:

The mutation in the mouse model is induced when the antibiotic doxycycline is added to the food or drinking water.

If that is case, it’s crucial to note that the conclusions/outcomes from that study should not be attributed to the doxycycline, but to the effects of the genetic mutation they are studying.

This is similar to how Dr. David Sinclair and others are turning On/Off the OSK gene-based “partial reprogramming” in rodents via doxycycline. Clearly the effects of partial reprogramming are some the OSK Yamanaka factors and not from the doxycycline in those studies. See e.g. Reprogramming to recover youthful epigenetic information and restore vision - PMC

9 Likes

An aware of using an antibiotic to control external gene injected/instilled in a virus to turn “on and off”.

The question why “doxycyclin with rapamycin would be of value?”

The above paper:

“Scientists reverse aging-associated skin wrinkles and hair loss in a mouse model”

doxycyclin, administered to the mice

“This causes depletion of mitochondrial DNA because the enzyme to replicate the DNA becomes inactive.”

I appreciate @Agetron and his enthusiasm for longevity science. But, this is only one paper right… Sure, its an interesting paper, but its still just one paper.

I’m not seeing much data yet on doxyccycline yet in terms of helping in longevity.

Just as a point of comparison… most of us here are taking rapamycin, in part because there have been over 40 lifespan studies showing increased healthspan and lifespan, and there were many other rapamycin lifespan studies in yeast, flies, worms, etc. before that… over a period of 20 years.

I don’t start using a drug after one study on mice… but will continue to watch this thread for what I hope will be more compelling data :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes - I’ve worked in a gene therapy startup… doxycycline is used in creating an inducible expression model of mice for testing different drug targets (gene knock-ins and knock-outs). This has nothing at all to do with using doxycycline as an antibiotic:

The doxycycline (dox)-inducible Tet-On system is widely used to control gene expression in mammalian cells.

Selecting the optimal Tet-On system for doxycycline-inducible gene expression in transiently transfected and stably transduced mammalian cells - PubMed.

8 Likes

I know that humans may respond differently than drosophila to minocycline (or others in the tetracycline family), but it makes you wonder.

1 Like

The scientists don’t seem to agree with Peter Diamandis’ Longevity Escape Velocity predictions…

I tend to think Max and Matt are more knowledgeable than Peter in this area:

3 Likes

I would argue more with the “general public” part of that. The general public has all kinds of problems. All cause mortality has stayed up since the pandemic.

I agree anything is possible if you work at it, but it takes generations to make a change like that, and for the general public, I doubt it will be allowed.

3 Likes

I would not risk the negative effects on gut microbiome using the antibiotic for supposed value of longevity.

5 Likes

Seems like a lot depends on how he/one defines “general public” and “escape velocity”.

If he means that the average/median person in 6 years, as in a 35-40 years old or so at that point (so ~30-35 year old today), might have enough medical and technological advances in front of them before they succumb to death to massively extend their life (and get to the next bridge to the next bridge and so on)…

… then it does seems to me that there is some meaningful probability that that could play out

Scenarios where the next two to four decades are increasingly exponential in our ability to do learn, understand and do R&D - including scenarios where even 10% of the potential of AI is realized, could see tremendous advances at ever increasing speeds.

1 Like

Any so-called longevity method that sacrifices the gut microbiome is unacceptable, as the gut microbiome is the cornerstone of longevity for us. It is the largest immune organ in the human body, and I would not consider relying on antibiotics for so-called longevity.

6 Likes

Long-term use of antibiotics can cause liver and kidney toxicity and may lead to autoimmune diseases. Many people who have taken doxycycline or minocycline for an extended period of time have developed autoimmune liver diseases. It should be noted that those who have this disease cannot expect to live a long life.

4 Likes

For some reason this seems very interesting to me.
It is precisely because the current view is that the gut bacteria is very important.
This is a very contrarian intervention. Surely Peter Diamandis is familiar with the gut microbiome talk and trend. And he takes it despite it. Talk about going against the grain.

3 Likes

I’ve heard it’s common in China to take antibiotics (like in a drop-in clinic with IV), for overall wellness, is this true? Not saying it’s bad or good, just curious.

1 Like

It’s possible that at this low dose weekly it improves the microbiome and reduces the microbial burden. It could act as a selective herbicide does for the farmer, to hurt the bad guys and make it a little easier for the good.

I’m not an expert at this, but it’s not the craziest thing I’ve seen. Farmers (whether right or wrong) have for years fed tetracycline because it makes the animals healthier and makes money. I don’t know if they still do, I’m not in that business any more.

3 Likes

https://www.costco.com/cmpps?drugIdentifierParam=55698435705&drugNameParam=Doxycycline+Hyclate

Doxycycline, 20 mg, 60 tabs, $18.99.

Four studies reported on the effect of doxycycline on faecal microbiota, one at suboptimal dosage (20 mg for 9 months) in patients with periodontitis57 and two at usual dose 100–150 mg for 7–10 days, although one also with a probiotic,56 58 and another at low dose (40 mg for 16 weeks),59 as described in table 2. Doxycycline treatment did not significantly affect counts of total anaerobic bacteria, candida, total enterics, Staphylococcus or doxycycline-resistant bacteria recovered at any of the sample periods and did not result in the development of multi-antibiotic resistance.57 Matto et al 58 specifically evaluated the influence of doxycycline therapy on the composition and antibiotic susceptibility of intestinal Bifidobacteria in nine subjects while they were also taking a probiotic and compared these to adults consuming only probiotics. A marked decrease in diversity of Bifidobacterium populations was observed during doxycycline therapy. Tetracycline-resistant Bifidobacterium isolates were more commonly detected in the antibiotic group than in the control group, thus increasing the pool of resistant commensal bacteria in the intestine.

In summary, doxycycline interferes with a microorganism’s ability to manufacture proteins. At suboptimal dosage (20 mg per day), it has little effect on the gut microbiota with the exception of enterococci and E. coli .

11 Likes

Yes, at 20mg it seems to be an AINO (Antibiotic In Name Only) and would seem to be safe even long-term.

3 Likes