Medications We Take and Their Curve Responses

Always curious about curve response. What kind of curve for rapamycin is?
What curve responses of other commonly taken drugs like metformin, telmisartan?

• Linear: Direct proportionality between exposure/treatment and effect.

• Sigmoid: Effects start slow, increase sharply, then level off.

• Bell/Inverted U-shaped: Optimal effect at moderate levels, less effective at extremes.

• U-shaped: Low and high levels might have similar effects, different at intermediate.

• J-shaped: Effect minimal at first, then increases significantly post a threshold.

• L-shaped: Sharp decline with minimal recovery.

• Threshold: No effect until a critical point, then significant change.

• Exponential: Rapid effects increase/decrease post-exposure.

U and J shapes often indicate complex drug responses or health outcomes where moderate levels might be optimal or where effects differ dramatically at different exposure levels.

3 Likes

I plan for a curve from my next dose
But i await my last results

I am thinking Telmisartan is * J-shaped for the purpose of other than lower blood pressure as discussed by @DrFraser ( for PPAR) and @adssx ( improving insulin sensitivity) with 160mg or 80mg as the triggering or more effective dose.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going on threshold as it makes sense pharmacologically that we have to get to a certain level that results in mTORC1 inhibition, then hold it there long enough to have an impact, but then also allow a decent duration of recovery.

Go too high on the dose, or keep levels inhibiting mTORC1 and we start seeing safety issues with immunosuppression.

I have no proof - but this makes sense to me having spent a long time focused on pharmacology and pharmacodynamics.

2 Likes