Heading to India for a week. I'm on 5mg Siro/week, vaccines (Covid booster/Flu) + siro?

I need to travel to India in a week or two, then again in December.

I’ve been on 5mg/sirolimus per week (I take it Fridays) and have never pulled a blood test.

I want to get a Covid Booster (leaning towards Novavax) and Flu shot, so…

Thoughts about interactions between sirolimus and the vaccines?

Stop Siro for a week? Get the vaccine on Wednesday (when siro level has dropped)? Take as normal? Get both at the same time?

Good time for a drug holiday…

1 Like

Agree with @Dr.Bart . We see this question often and I don’t understand why people are concerned about skipping a few doses of Rapamycin. I doubt there’s any downside to a few missed doses over years of Rapa.

3 Likes

Well, we have the Mannick protocol based on everolimus, so not exactly siro, but perhaps a guide, since that seemed to work out OK?

Speaking just for myself, I’m not a doctor, and obviously this is not medical advice, but I would just rawdog it, since whatever impact rapa seems to have negatively looks to be bacterial infections. Here you’re dealing with viruses, so that’s a different kettle of fish, I don’t recall seeing any studies showing bad effects from rapa. Plus these are vaccines, not live viruses, even the Novavax. I mean if a vaccine like those two are going to throw everything out of kilter because someone is on rapa, one has to wonder whether it’s safe to venture outside of the lab, and maybe it’s better to stay in one’s cage if taking rapa. Of course, YMMV.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar w/ the Mannick protocol (I’ll go look it up, later).

I was thinking not that it would throw “everything” out of kilter, but that it could possibly create a sort of over-zealous immune response with some symptomology.

I wish that I had a nice “cage” to live in from day to day, that sounds comfy to me…

1 Like

What are you referring to exactly as it? The vaccinations or stopping rapamycin ?

In Mannick protocol the subjects stopped the rapa couple of weeks before vaccinations…why? Because it’s a immunosuppressant, mild at this dose. Many people like Peter Attia or Matt Kab. periodically have scheduled breaks from rapamycin. Most people that don’t have scheduled breaks, do stop it before major medical procedures where there is risk for infection or before vaccinations. I even stop it 2 weeks before major cycling races.

1. Vaccines work better if the immunosuppressants is stopped.
  2. You are going to India… depends where you go it won’t be as sanitary as US… personally I wouldn’t take rapamycin when travelling to developing countries due to heightened risk of bacterial or parasitic infection.
6 Likes

This is so true. Food poisoning is so common during such travels; even when avoiding street food. Not something to underestimate.

3 Likes

Yup, I lived in Chiang mai some years back and got some sort of food poisoning. I looked up what would be a good antibiotic, went to to the local pharmacy, asked for it. The guy said: “why?” I said, “food illness,” he sold it to me, and the next day it was gone.

1 Like

Yep. Lots of bacteria in India. I’d stop all Rapamycin a week before you go and start back up a week after to be in the safe side. Don’t worry about missing some doses. Worry about the bacteria.

2 Likes

I would not take any COVID19 vaccine. I only ever had 2x novavax shots. Just take a flu shot. It will heighten your immune system so that you are less likely to get COVID19. Also, get plenty of vitamin C. About 4g a day (4000mg)