Drug-free nasal spray blocks, neutralizes viruses, bacteria

In preclinical studies, spray offered nearly 100% protection from respiratory infections by COVID-19, influenza, viruses, and pneumonia-causing bacteria

A drug-free nasal spray that forms a gel-like matrix that captures and neutralizes germs may offer another layer of protection against respiratory infections, according to a study out of Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

Based on preclinical studies, researchers at BWH say the broad-spectrum nasal spray is long-lasting, safe, and, if validated in humans, could play a key role in reducing respiratory diseases and safeguarding public health against new threats. The results are published in the journal Advanced Materials.

Read the full story:

Toward a Radically Simple Multi-Modal Nasal Spray for Preventing Respiratory Infections

Nasal sprays for pre-exposure prophylaxis against respiratory infections show limited protection (20–70%), largely due to their single mechanism of action—either neutralizing pathogens or blocking their entry at the nasal lining, and a failure to maximize the capture of respiratory droplets, allowing them to potentially rebound and reach deeper airways. This report introduces the Pathogen Capture and Neutralizing Spray (PCANS), which utilizes a multi-modal approach to enhance efficacy. PCANS coats the nasal cavity, capturing large respiratory droplets from the air, and serving as a physical barrier against a broad spectrum of viruses and bacteria, while rapidly neutralizing them with over 99.99% effectiveness. The formulation consists of excipients identified from the FDA’s Inactive Ingredient Database and Generally Recognized as Safe list to maximize efficacy for each step in the multi-modal approach. PCANS demonstrates nasal retention for up to 8 hours in mice. In a severe Influenza A mouse model, a single pre-exposure dose of PCANS leads to a >99.99% reduction in lung viral titer and ensures 100% survival, compared to 0% in the control group. PCANS suppresses pathological manifestations and offers protection for at least 4 hours. This data suggest PCANS as a promising daily-use prophylactic against respiratory infections.

Conflict of Interest

J.J., H.M.B, Y.T., and J.M.K have one pending patent based on the PCANS formulation described in this manuscript. N.J. and J.M.K are paid consultants, scientific advisory board members, and hold equity in Akita Biosciences, a company that has licensed IP generated by N.J. and J.MK. that may benefit financially if the IP was further validated. The interests of N.J. and J.MK. were reviewed and overseen by their institution in accordance with its conflict of interest policies.

6 Likes

I’d love to have something like this. Living in NYC I have lots of opportunities to contract opportunistic respiratory infections.

My concern goes to the question of how such a nasal spray would affect the nasal, sinus, and oral microbiome.

1 Like

I wonder if this could be patented, or if it would be generic and inexpensive?

1 Like

This reminds me to ask if anyone has any opinions on Enovid nasal spray.

I’ve been using this in higher risk situations in the hopes it works because I’ve been told, worst case, it’s useless but still harmless.

Any thoughts at all?

1 Like

Couldn’t find the full text to suss out ingredients (Toward a Radically Simple Multi-Modal Nasal Spray for Preventing Respiratory Infections - PubMed)

But this sounds a LOT like Taffix, which I looked into, ordered, and used. (Don’t ask me if it worked – who knows, right?)

When I looked at the ingredients of Taffix, they were so easy to come by, that I wanted to make it myself. But of course I didn’t have proportions and prep instructions.

Taffix has to be imported from Israel and is super expensive.

I would love something USA-made. Or something I could make myself. Anyone on this track?

2 Likes

My mother loved ENOVID when she was getting over covid, but it’s pricey, and my research into its efficacy is discouraging.

If I had covid, I’d go for OTC azelastine nasal (Astepro Allergy, Childrens Astepro Allergy, Astelin, Astepro) because Early intervention with azelastine nasal spray may reduce viral load in SARS-CoV-2 infected patients | Scientific Reports

3 Likes

Thank you Sol! This is the first I”m hearing of this.

I’m using a nasal ointment, Oksoline (made in Russia) for the same purpose. It blocks viruses that enter through nose. It costs 50 cents.

4 Likes

Polysporin? But why not just do a daily saline sinus rinse? I don’t leave home without it.

1 Like

Got my flu shot a few weeks ago. When they asked me my age and found out I was sixty-six plus, they said I could have the Super Extra Strength Flu shot for older adults… aka - geriatric? Hahaha.

Kinda confirms that our immune system at a certain age just doesn’t benefit from vaccines, but with rapamyacin and vaccine, you get the immunities of someone very young.

This was built upon previous research showing that rapamycin extended the lifespan of mice and improved various aging-related conditions. In elderly mice, rapamycin
treatment rejuvenated immune function, resulting in increased production of new lymphocytes, improved response to influenza vaccination, and even extended lifespan.

Joan Mannick’s human flu research wss based on the mouse study. Amazing. First time, an immunosuppressant actually improved the immune system.Changing the whole game for off label use of rapamycin.

4 Likes

In Mannick’s study, a total of 218 elderly participants aged 65 years and older were recruited from Australia and New Zealand for a randomized, observer-blind, placebo-controlled trial. They were administered one of three doses of RAD001, a variant of rapamycin: 0.5 mg daily, 5 mg weekly, or 20 mg weekly. This treatment lasted for 6 weeks, followed by a 2-week break, and then the participants received a seasonal flu vaccine.

The low-dose RAD001 groups (0.5 mg daily or 5 mg weekly) met the study’s primary endpoint —they showed an increase in HI titers. In contrast, the high-dose group (20 mg weekly) did not . Surprisingly, the lower doses seemed just as effective as nearly complete inhibition linked to the high-dose regimen in improving elderly volunteers’ immune response. This underscores an important point with mTOR inhibition through the use of rapamycin, and in this case, RAD001—higher doses do not translate to better health outcomes.

The study itself is dated 2014, if that matters.

1 Like

You have some reasonable, but not compelling, evidence to support your belief. Don’t leave home without it indeed. If you mix it up, the cost is zero. Saline nasal irrigation and gargling in COVID-19: a multidisciplinary review of effects on viral load, mucosal dynamics, and patient outcomes - PMC

2 Likes

Do you make your saline? Is it just water and salt?

1 Like

My experience is proof enough for me. But here’s what your study says about SI (saline nasal irrigation) with regard to COVID. Sounds pretty good, eh?

“ SI was found to reduce SARS-CoV-2 nasopharyngeal loads and hasten viral clearance. Other mechanisms may involve inhibition of viral replication, bioaerosol reduction, improved mucociliary clearance, modulation of ENaC, and neutrophil responses.”

@LaraPo i use Neti saline packs with a Neti squeeze bottle. The saline packs are single use and contains sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. I only use with distilled water.

I make a nasal spray containing some easily obtained ingredients:```
The basic formula for a nasal spray containing 0.17% iota-carrageenan in 0.5% NaCl solution, with 0.1% xylitol & 0.1% providone-iodine is:
(1) In 1 cup warm/hot sterile water (237 mL), mix
(i) 0.4g iota-carrageenan (Amazon.com )
(ii) 0.237g xylitol (https://www.vitacost.com/now-foods-xylitol-1-lb)
(iii) 1.185g non-iodized salt (without anti-caking agents or preservatives),
(iv) 2.37ml of 10% providone-iodine
The resulting solution is clear, with a slight pinkish hew.
(2) Converted to volumetric measurements, this is approximately (all level measurements): In 2 cups (1 pint, 474ml) warm/hot sterile water, mix (final concentration shown):
(i) ¼ tsp Iota-Carrageenan (0.21%)
(ii) ¼ tsp xylitol (0.21%)
(iii) ½ tsp salt (0.675%)
(iv) 1 tsp of 10% providone-iodine (0.1%), or 3 tbsp + 1 tsp of 1% providone-iodine (0.1%)

A nasal spray bottle to administer the spray: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GIMV5SY
2 Likes

Iota-Carrageenan (I-C) has been found to be broadly active against various respiratory viruses such as human rhinovirus (hRV) 1a, hRV8 and human coronavirus OC43 in various lab studies and also when used in the form of a saline-carrageenan nasal spray by adult & pediatric rhinovirus (common cold) sufferers in various randomized controlled clinical trials., (0.12% iota-carrageenan + 0.5% sodium saline). Carrageenan has been extensively used in food, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries, and is on the FDA list of generally recognized as safe (GRAS) products for consumption.

It has been used effectively to reduce risk of COVID-19 in health care workers managing patients with COVID-19 disease, administered in four daily doses of nasal spray (0.17% iota-carrageenan + Sodium Chloride 0.9%, pH 6.00–7.00, 1 puff is 0.10 mL, or 0.17 mg of I-C). Iota-carrageenan in concentrations as low as 6 μg/mL (0.006% w/v) inhibits SC2 in vitro. Xylitol at a concentration of 50 mg/mL (ca. 329 mM)(5% w/v) was found to exert some antiviral action.

2 Likes