Caloric restriction

It seems that by one and one, my nutritional gurus are attacking caloric restriction. Despite the amazing benefits that it has shown one by one line, David Sinclair, and every other expert are backing up on caloric restriction. The irony of this is not one of them, explain that caloric restriction does not necessarily mean nutritional restriction. I have devised a diet for myself that requires about 12 super foods that I aspire to eat every day. After eating the super foods, I give myself a 4 to 6 hour window to eat, whatever my body tells me whether it be carbs as vegetables and nuts which provides fat and protein and avocados which provide fat and a multitude of nutrients, I have a kale, organic fresh turmeric and beet smoothie four or five times a week. I have to admit it’s disgusting, but I believe it provides an amazing array of micro nutrients That signal to my brain that it is receiving sufficient nutrients therefore the brain signaling to the stomach it requires no nutrients. My diet includes fresh wild salmon or fresh Alaskan cod, 2 to 3 times a week. I endeavor to make a huge salad using as many longer lasting Ables as I can . This with walnuts blueberries flaxseed meal in my smoothie are just about all my stomach can handle throughout the day. My bedtime is 9 o’clock and I won’t eat after 4 The first meal next day, I don’t eat until first meal until 12 o’clock. My only problem with this diet is maintaining weight. I am 69 having had double valve replacement surgery, pancreatitis, and a Double bout of endocarditis leading to an abscess on one of my valves.
Despite this, I am able to do three sets of 60 push-ups eat, and hike 2 miles a day. I am going to start lifting heavy weights at the gym because I hear muscle strength is Paramont too longevity.

6 Likes

If your VO2Max, strength, muscle mass, bone mineral density, and other measures of vitality, are all in the top percentiles, I don’t think anyone is complaining about CR

1 Like

I keep thinking about CR. I am biased against it because I don’t want to do it. But still I think I am right in my doubts about the benefits of CR for me at this point in my life.

• certainly eating less of an unhealthy set of foods would be beneficial. Less Coke, less French fries, less booze, less fried foods…would have to be health improving / life extending. But I don’t eat that stuff
  • certainly losing excess body fat especially visceral fat would be health improving / life extending. But I don’t have much to lose nor do I need to continually reduce my calorie intake to lose it.
  • I do think that avoiding a continuous supply of excess energy (mTOR over activation?) to my immune system and other growth mechanisms is a good thing. I should avoid consuming more calories than I need and make sure I consume less than I need sometimes to shut down / slow down these systems periodically. I do this in pulses with my resistance training and rapamycin and periodic fasting.

I just don’t need to slow my metabolism down all the time, or at least I don’t think so.

2 Likes

Maybe metabolism is our burn rate.
Alexander the Great versus Mahatma Gandhi.
Certainly, a yoga teacher thought this when I was young
Paraphrasing from memory “You are allotted a certain number of breaths and heartbeats”
Maybe I was allotted a higher-than-average amount of heartbeats? :grin:

2 Likes

@desertshores I remember a fellow in my first job out of college who believed we only had a fixed number of heart beats, and he didn’t want to waste any of them with exercise. I thought about that for a long time but eventually understood that by exercising (cardio) for 5-10 hours a week, my resting heart rate would be so much lower for the remaining hours that I was saving heart beats with exercise.

2 Likes

Even among the members of the CR forum, there have been discussions about whether CR is an effective way to lengthen life/healthspan, rather than a healthy diet that avoids overweight.
I have the perception that the issue is far more complex than presented, as it usually happens with an hypercomplex system like the human body.
Luigi Fontana, the eminent gerontologist, has been studying human practitioners of CR and is convinced that the relevant biomarkers improve in the direction of better longevity. Valter Longo, another eminent gerontologist, is against caloric restriction and is convinced that it may shorten lifespan.
Even lab mice do not always live longer on CR, it depends on particular strains.
And primates did not provide undisputable evidence of longer lifespan with CR.

3 Likes