Calibre Biometric Spirometer Product Launch

My doctor cyclist friend says, “doesn’t work”. He is returning it. Oh well. This seems inconsistent with the reports from Alan couzens but that is the report.

Hm… did he say what aspect does not work - I saw some people on twitter saying that VO2 was quite good, but that perhaps less sensitive to fat burning?

1 Like

I have done that. Used a Moxy sensor in addition to the lactate finger prick tests. They matched well so I stopped doing the lactate finger prick tests. The Moxy sensor is better IMO because it’s a real time measurement. I have the SmO2 value on the Garmin watch screen when running so I can use that to adjust my pace to the optimum value.
The zone 2 threshold vary day to day depending on training load, sleep, etc.
It even varies during a run depending on how warmed up you are, then how tired you are, This is particularly true for long runs. Your zone 2 after 16km will be somewhat different from the zone 2 after 3km. There is also the cardiac drift to take into account.

Also the lactate threshold is more complex than most people think. In trained individuals, most of the lactate produced by the fast twitch fibers is consumed locally by the slow fibers (and the brain) so the lactate you measure in the blood is not the lactate production but the lactate overflow.

BTW I’ve ordered a Calibre and have great expectations for it. I’ll report when I get it.

1 Like

Thanks. Can you share what finger prick test reader you got (or recommend) and what protocol you used for when / how often to prick and read?

I used this one EDGE blood lactate meter
For repeatability and accuracy, it’s better to do the running test on a treadmill with the running power measured by a Stryd sensor
First you do a good enough warm-up (like 20+ min). Then you do a power ramp by choosing some starting power in your zone 1 and increasing that power by some step value like 25W for instance, running 5min at each power. In fact I used 6 min so that I have 1 min to make the finger prick test + adjusting the treadmill speed to the next power level and then run 5min at that power.
You can use smaller/larger steps depending on how many points you want on the curve.

1 Like

He did not offer more details. I would put his vote in the negative column but continue to gather votes. I’m not interested that sort of thing in any case.

1 Like

For some reason I don’t seem able to click on that link, but assume this it’s this one?

Once one has that curve - what lactate level do you target for zone 2 training?

I’ll probably do it from my indoor bike, but think I can adapt the protocol to that

Yes. Sorry bad, URL copy/paste. I fixed it in the post.

1 Like

Cl-user, good day to you. Did you receive your calibre mask? I’ve ordered mine in December 2023, not yet received. Have send email. Asking if I’m on a waiting list but no answer at all.

Not received it either. I also ordered it last December.

Cl , nothing yet?. For me nothing. That’s not the way to treat clients that bought your product. I’ve sent email, but Calibre doesnot answer. On there website , they say it will be 4 to 6 weeks , but for me 8 weeks has gone by. They should answer emails. If they say something I’ll wait with patience because it is a good product.

Nothing yet. You are right, it’s been a long time. I will email them too.

No reply either to my emails either. Looks like they are dead.
Too bad if that’s the case.

They replied to one of my emails and I hope to have a call with them. If so, I will raise your guys’s issues in them not getting back to you.

Thx Neo,. Emailed them again today. I’m beginning to think this was a scam or what. Ordered in December 22 ofter seeing Udi Meriav on the YouTube channel of Dr Zain Hakeem, it’s unbelievable that this was a scam.

Having worked in many startup companies, some successful, some not - the likely situation is some sort of issues in the company, could be manufacturing issues, could be financing issues (the VC market has gotten much more difficult in the past 18 months) and layoffs, founder disagreements on strategy, could be a million things. The companies like Theranos are rare. Keep trying to get a response…

2 Likes

Got a response yesterday. They promised will be shipped In 2 weeks. If this thing works I see a really good product, for the price. If you compare it to Vo2 master, Wich is topend and integration with all ANT+ devices, Wich is good for athletes. But if Calibre is for real it will be a very good option for recreational athletes and healthy conscience and people looking to live longer. And as I understand Vo2 testing and having a high Vo2max is the #1 marker for longevity.
Si I’m staying positive, and looking forward to use this metabolic analyzer.
R. G. Specht

3 Likes

The feedback I received was that it didn’t work. I also saw people speak favorably about it on Twitter so mileage may vary. Even if it doesn’t provide a solid VO2 or fat burn %, surely it can provide directional feedback.

1 Like

Looks like there are not dead after all:

We’re excited to let you know that your order has been prepared and will be shipped out soon!
Here are the details:
Item: Calibre Breath Tracker - Gray (Qty: 1)
[…]

2 Likes