Breaking News:An unprecedented intervention-based assessment of immune aging that globally characterizes the effect of Urolithin A

https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2024.42.16_suppl.e14562
In this double-blind, prospective, placebo-controlled trial (NCT05735886) we sought to characterize for the first time the effects of UA on the human immune system. Fifty healthy participants aged 45-70 years were randomized (1:1) to an intervention of single-dose (1000mg) UA or placebo per day for a study duration of 28 days. Randomization was performed based on age, gender and BMI. Exclusion criteria were prior medical conditions, BMI >35 kg/m2, smoking, and intake of prescription medication or other dietary supplements. The primary end points of the study were changes in peripheral CD3+ cells, as well as alterations in mitochondrial activity in select immune populations of the peripheral blood as assessed by flow cytometry. Results: Intake of UA was safe and well-tolerated in the intervention cohort of 25 participants. After the study period, total peripheral lymphocytes and circulating NK cells were expanded in the UA group. Performing a complete immunophenotyping via spectral flow cytometry, we found that UA elicits immune remodeling characterized by broad changes of immune surface markers and mitochondrial measurements. CD8+ cells of participants in the intervention arm displayed greater mitochondrial mass, while preferably taking on a naive phenotype and expressing more Ki67. In addition, circulating monocytes exhibited a less inflammatory signature. UA intake reduced plasma levels of several proinflammatory cytokines. Conclusions: Collectively, our study constitutes an unprecedented intervention-based assessment of immune aging that globally characterizes the effect of UA on the immune system, proposing validation in future confirmatory studies and potential combination with cancer immunotherapy.

6 Likes

Interesting, thank you for bringing my attention to this report. I have been adding a small amount of 40% ellagitannins in the form of pomegranate extract to my yogurt smoothies a few times a week for a few years, letting the gut microbiome do their thing to hydrolyze and convert it to urolithins. This and other literature supports it might be helpful for long term immunological health.

3 Likes

Under what rock did they find 70yo taking no medications or supplements?

And a BMI <35 is “healthy”?

“According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher is considered obese.”

2 Likes

It is a study driven by Amazentis SA, a biotech company behind Nestlé (commercializing urolithin A). This explains why the study positions itself as an ‘unprecedented intervention-based assessment.’ :slight_smile: So, it’s good to know, but I would take the results with a grain of salt.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to see if UA, as part of my Super Mix, has any effect on my next Trudiagnostic test in September.

I will be posting that.

In the mean time I need to post my disappointing SYMPHONYAge results and my wifes spectacular results.

1 Like

2 of the main researchers are Amazentis employees and Amazentis was the only funder of record.

1 Like

The sponsor may have been Amazentis but it is still a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial and the Journal of Clinical Oncology is pretty highly ranked. Sure…be a little skeptical but I would take it is more promising signs of Urolithin A being good for us, whether supplementing it or natural intake via walnuts and the like.

6 Likes