Beta hydroxy butyrate (BHB)

Does anybody here supplement BHB to get benefits of ketosis without being on a ketogenic diet?

1 Like

Some people have talked about using them, see this thread: Your experiences using Supplemental BHB esters to reduce blood glucose, appetite, triglycerides, free fatty acids, Slow Aging, etc?

I’ve not looked recently, but historically (the past few years) the exogenous ketone supplements / drinks have been pretty expensive and from my perspective the benefits still a little unproven but looking very positive.

Example thread of the positives: Ketone bodies mimic the life span extending properties of caloric restriction

1 Like

This forum is like Microsoft Excel—the feature you wish they’d add is already available if you know where to look.

3 Likes

We’ve been busy discussing longevity topics here for the past 2+ years, so we’ve likely covered everything of interest at least once (unless its very new)… so yes, the search feature in the upper right corner is very helpful for people, but the challenge is always finding the exact term and spelling that others have used in the discussions… that will remain an issue until we get AI fully integrated into the forum :smile:

1 Like

You mentioned ketone esters. Do you know if something like Magnesium BHB powder works the same way? It doesn’t seem too expensive through something like Bulk Supplements.

I got interested after seeing this article (in mice) showing neuroprotective effects from cycling a ketogenic diet and the author was quoted speculating that the effects would replicated by cycling exogenous ketones—and specifically BHB.

I’m sorry, I do not. Perhaps some of the biochemists on this forum can help answer this question…?

I have for several years. Started occasionally using Mg BHB in the morning along with black coffee, but now daily Also aids in mental clarity. Am looking at tightening up on my TRE and diet as my ketone tracking in the past shows that I am at or near clinical levels (0.4 to 0.5 mmol) BHB first thing in the morning if I am stricter with diet and exercise and TRE, and can reach 0.6 mmol by first meal around 10 to 11 am. This isn’t high but is probably double to triple levels of most people’s levels and is present for many hours in the AM before eating while supplement peak is higher but shorter duration. Occasionally will take an afternoon dose. Downside is cost at about $30/m. Will try to ween myself off or regular use. From the research I’ve seen (e.g Mark Mattson) some elevation of ketones from exercise and TRE exerts positive effects on the brain.

1 Like

I tried the deltaG ketone ester a few times, but I didn’t notice any benefits. I’ve quite the stomach for bitter things generally, but this stuff was like battery acid mixed with unsweetened cough syrup. Even when I tried mixing a small amount in a 72oz shake it was all I could taste. Did I mention it’s outrageously expensive?

1 Like