Berberine / Atherosclerosis: Yea or Nay?

We have read about the positive effects about Berberine. But I came across research that said that Berberine can stimulate atherosclerosis because it stimulates M2 Macrophages which then produce more foam cells. So this effect would undercut the positive advantages of Berberine in reducing cholesterol. This seems counter to the many studies that say Berberine reduces atherosclerotic plaque.

I do recall that in one consultation with a integrative medicine doctor, she called Berberine a poison and told me not to take it. I made a note of that but did not press her on it. I have since seen Berberine referred to as a mitochondrial toxin.

This is all very anecdotal, I know. I am taking Metformin now but was wondering if there would be benefit to adding in a little Berberine. So far the Metformin does not seem to be having much of an impact on my HA1C.

2 Likes

I don’t think there are many if any slam dunk proven benefits to Berberine. If you’re going to take something for diabetes or prediabetes you’re better off taking a known entity like Metformin.

4 Likes

I’ve been taking small doses of berberine (500mg) for additional LDL lowering and glucose support. I’m convinced that it is beneficial at this low dosage. You’d probably have a bigger impact by increasing the metformin, however.

I also take empagliflozin and metformin. With the multiple meds I seem to be at increased risk of hypoglycemia. I never had low glucose events until I added berberine. If I’m careful with carbohydrates there isn’t a problem…just something to be wary of.

2 Likes

I found nothing measurable in any of my regular test results.
It causes me to have an acid stomach, so I no longer take it.

3 Likes

I’m taking the position that the single negative animal study is far outweighed by all the positive clinical studies, BUT it sure would be nice to see a berberine study lasting long enough to see some outcome data. I’ve been taking berberine 500mg twice daily for the past couple of months (Solaray brand, recently passed consumerlab testing) for LDL lowering and for improving body composition (multiple studies show it helps both, especially LDL).
Note: I’d never take berberine instead of proven medical therapies; rather I’m already taking the “dream team” of ezetimibe/bempedoic acid/Repatha but have very high Lp(a) and high coronary calcium, so I’m aiming to drive ApoB down as low as I can possibly get it without side effects.

I’m getting a blood work panel next Tues (July 2nd) that will include ApoB, Lp(a) and multiple markers of inflammation (GlycA, myeloperoxidase, Lp-PLA2 as well as HS-CRP), so it will be interesting to see what lipid changes (if any) have occurred since starting the berberine and what the markers of inflammation will show.

8 Likes

I mentioned this in another thread. I took berberine for several years with what I felt were good results for keeping BG inside the normal range. I stopped because a medical researcher pointed out that it can kill or attenuate beneficial intestinal bacteria in some people, depending on their unique chemistry. Beyond that is the normal concern that less clinical research exists on berberine than metformin. On the other hand, the existing research is generally positive.

2 Likes

The thing about berberine is that studies to date show it has so much more potential than metformin. The lipid-lowering effects alone put it in a different class than just a mere glucose-lowering compound, and then there are numerous animal studies showing anti-cancer potential. So a single compound may help to prevent diabetes, heart disease AND cancer, which would/will be pretty amazing if the clinical studies confirm it.

1 Like

I’ve stopped taking berberine because of its effect on the biome. In my case not so much the bacteria in the gut as the hookworms that I bought for a lot of money to moderate my immune system didn’t like the berberine.

Very interested to see if your regimen has been successful. Perhaps, you could share.

1 Like