Bad COVID booster reaction: N=1 or Canary?

On August 31 I got the Pfizer Covid booster. Next day was down with low grade fever, bad back pain, cough, headache, dizziness, fatigue, elevated pulse, and this has gone on for two weeks now and still sick. Tested negative for Covid, RSV and flu. The RPN said I was the second patient this week to have presented with these symptoms after getting the booster. WBC elevated (15 thousand u/L), as are eosinophils and neutrophils.
I have never had a reaction to Covid vaccines or any other vaccine other than Shingles – which was mild compared to this.

Florida (I know, Florida) Department of Health has issued warnings claiming that this booster actually decreases immunity in the long term and elaborates on several other negative effects.

Am I an N=1 or a canary? Early days, too little info. But as they say, if you see something, say something. So, heads up.

BTW: not taking Rapamycin.

6 Likes

I’m waiting for Novavax this time around, which should be available any day now.

Have you been taking rapamycin in the past? (and have just paused it right now). Or have you not yet started.

I remember N=1 person taking high dose rapamycin then took Covid Booster and think he had an extremely robust immune response (if I remember it correctly - its been many months since I viewed the video).

Just looked now to find the video - and I think David Barzelai has taking it down (I think it was #8 of the video series with Matt Kaeberlein). from here: AgingDoc and Kaeberlein Technical Discussion on Rapamycin

Have not started Rapamycin. Have some here, but decided not to start it as blood glucose is in prediabetic range. I am taking Metformin.

1 Like

It sounds like serum sickness with possible cytotoxic reaction due to preformed antibodies and CD8 T-cells. Is there a rash ? Maybe you already had Covid ?
Definitely see your doc to get some blood tests CBC, CMP, ESR, CRP, etc. to rule out end organ damage and you may need some corticosteroids.

The problem with mRNA vaccination is that they are extremely powerful in eliciting an immune reaction. Which is great if you an old person needing protection and maybe not so great if you are young healthy and you already had the infection with given strain.

If you are immune technically you should prevent the virus from entering the body via mucosal immunity - IgA antibodies etc. The vaccine bypasses that and introduces the viral particles (spike protein) inside the body… not so good in my opinion if you already have immune system primed and ready for the particular antigen.

Like I said many times before on these forums, the “side effects” of the mRNA vaccines are greatly exaggerated by it’s a powerful weapon and the medical community has to figure out a better way how to use it.

2 Likes

What are the reasons that Novavax is privileged?

It’s not an mRNA vaccine, so no issues with cardiomyopathy, etc, and just generally less of the “annoying” side effects, perhaps because of a less robust immune response.

Thank you for your response. I have had all the previous Covid immunizations, and have never had Covid. I am decidedly not young, but I have reason to believe that my immune system has always been quite strong. The CBC showed high WBC, neutrophils adn eosinophils. I will ask for the other tests. I regret that I did not have the information provided in your note before having the most recent booster.

Oh, and no rash, so – no serum sickness (?)

I strongly disagree. I think the long-term side effects are yet to be determined.

5 Likes

My office does not administer the mRNA vaccines and I have no known financial ties with any of the companies (not sure about the pension plan). I am not biased in any way and I certainly never was pro-mRNA vaccine here on these forums… but I am not anti-vaccine either. It’s just a tool.

It has been four years since first Covid shots were given (myself included). I have seen thousands of patients post multiple mRNA vaccines and boosters. I reviewed the clinical data. I am a clinical immunologist that understands all aspects of vaccination.
Where do you draw your conclusions from?

3 Likes

not necessarily, there is usually a rash… that’s medicine for you - anything goes

go see your doc, get checked out, you may need treatment

I had the Pfizer covid booster three days ago… no reaction for me.

No reaction here for Pfizer

Most people will not have a severe reaction. Most people will not develop long Covid, or a years-long hangover from Lyme disease. But some do, and we do not comprehend well enough why or to whom these reactions occur.

In some ways, we are in a pretty primitive state with respect to understanding all this. So you get these camps of the vehement anti-vaxxers and at the other extreme, the adamant believers in the official medical proclamations, who regard you as mildly hysterical if you question or proclaim that the vaccine caused harm: they just hold up the garlic and look away.

5 Likes

Did you go to a doctor?

Yes, as described in the opening post

I was referring to this @Deborah_Hall

Oh yeah I missed, increased WBC with eosinophilia is often seen in drug reactions but can be seen with vaccinations, DRESS syndrome would be worst case scenarios… but you don’t have a rash, weird

I think fasting blood glucose is not always the most reliable measure. Some people have a strong ‘dawn effect’ and it is elevated, but the significance of this is not always clear. So I would recommend checking your HbA1c (sometimes called A1c) and see how that compares. I think it is a better overall measure of whether you are diabetic, pre-diabetic, or normal.

I am not a doctor so be aware my advice could be erroneous. Good luck!

1 Like