Any research studies indicating rapa interferance with tendon recovery post PRP injection

Hello rapa friends, just had Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) for a proximal hamstring tendon tear. Does anyone know (via studies ideally) if taking rapa and specifically inhibiting mTOR could negatively impact the healing process of PRP for my hamstring tendon? Thanks in advance

1 Like

When my sports medicine doc injected my arthritic saddle joints of both thumbs with exosomes, he recommended stopping rapamycin at least 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after–I did 3 and 3 weeks, to be on the safe side. He felt I wouldn’t jeopardize the exosomes
that way–he also recommended no ibuprofen or other NSAIDs for 3 months after treatment. He wasn’t entirely clear why about the rapa–just that they “may work in opposite ways”–
PRP may be similar to exosomes, in that they involve growth factors

1 Like

Anything that needs growth and cell division probably want rapamycin to be on pause.

2 Likes

What about increasing the dose to the point a weekly dose of rapamycin can’t inhibit ALL of it? Does this make any sense yes or no?

I would need to understand the precise calculations for this. It does not seem to make any sense, but if you provide all the figures on IC50, half-lives and cellular concentrations I could look at the figures.

Agree with John. If you are trying to repair a tendon you want mtor turned on. Hold the Rapa.

I am currently paying the price of suffering a muscle tear the day I took my Rapa. (N of 1)

Its probably too late, but when I need repair I take a good chunk of citrate.

Thanks all - my intuition was that rapa and its mTOR inhibition would interfere with the tendon repair process and it seems like that is the consensus here. I did take 7mg a week prior to the procedure but dont intend on taking any more until after it is fully healed