Antibiotics that target mitochondria extend lifespan in C. elegans

PDF copy of the paper;

aging-v15i21-205229.pdf (1.4 MB)

2 Likes

So this is basically the DAV protocol, some of us on this board has gone through.

1 Like

Yes, it is.

Michael P Lisanti is one of the authors of the paper, he is the Chair of;
Translation Medicine, School of Science, Engineering and Environment (SEE)
University of Salford,
Greater Manchester M5 4BR, UK.

Worth doing in the Ora Biomedical Challenge to see if we can reproduce the findings.

2 Likes

If you read the paper you will see that the ā€˜protocolā€™ decreases median lifespan in that study.

This has been discussed here as well:

One component of this, Azithromycin increases death rate and cancer relapse in a randomized controlled trial that had to be stopped early (ALLOZITHRO Randomized Clinical Trial). There are those who think this canā€™t generalize to others, there is also an association of increase in all-cause mortality and cardiovascular death.

3 Likes

I sponsor doxy in the Ora Biomedical Challenge.

But the combination Doxy + Azitro did not do well.

Million Molecule Challenge Results and Leaderboard ā€“ Ora Biomedical, Inc.

1 Like

What was the dose of the Doxy + Azithromycin in MMC compared to the paper? Do you get to pick the dose chosen?

In the MMC the dosing was:

Doxycycline HCl 50ĀµM / Azithromycin 50ĀµM

Another drug (zidovudine) which affects mitochondria and inhibits translation also increases lifespan in C elegans.

Personally I think the RTI activity of zidovudine is more interesting when it comes to mammalian aging, as this could prevent retrotransposition events. These are probably less of a concern in C elegans, where in contrast to mammals, a very small portion of the genome is occupied by retrotranspons.

Vitamin C, which I have previously commented on seems to add nothing to the protocol.

Antibiotic, along with a statin, and metformin and an ā€œanti-helminthā€ are the basic four elements of the Jane McClelland ā€œStarve Cancerā€ protocol which grew partially from Lisantiā€™s work and then became the basis for the ā€œCare Oncology Protocolā€. There is a beautiful logic for each of these four which becomes really clear if you read the Jason Fung book The Cancer Code. Highly recommend McClelland and Fung even if you are not actively pursuing an anti-cancer strategy.

2 Likes

The Vitiman C works{in the DAV Therapy]as a pro oxidant to kill off the senescent cells that have been rounded up by the doxycycline (works on small mitochondrial and the azithromycin(works on the large mitochondrial)

As stated{by Professor LIsanti] in the paper and in the interview the azithromycin killed off 97% of senescent cells. Better than dasatinib and, quercetin,

He used CD26 as the senescent marker.

Interview during COVID

Doing DAV Therapy is safer that using dasatinib and cost very little lless than $35.00 for the 5 weeks

And I will post it again, if you understand the paperā€¦

In my view;

It is a no brainer!