An anti-aging vaccine: BCG turns back the clock on remyelination failure

The bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccine

Another example of a vaccine helping in longevity:

Aging leads to alterations that precipitate or aggravate several diseases that occur across our lifespan. In the CNS, aging affects the capacity to maintain and repair the myelin sheaths that protect axons and facilitate neuronal signaling. Tiwari et al. report aging-associated transcriptional responses in microglia after demyelination, which could be reversed by epigenetic remodeling after BCG vaccination.

Paywalled Paper: https://www.cell.com/immunity/abstract/S1074-7613(24)00374-1

Related:

The bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccine against tuberculosis—or simply BCG—is the oldest vaccine in the world that is still currently in use. Millions of infants in Africa and Asia receive the inoculation each year.

Beyond protecting against various infections, researchers are starting to find that the BCG vaccine can also modulate the risk of other diseases in which the immune system goes awry, including type 1 diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer’s disease. Claims about such broad-ranging effects have been controversial but have grown less so in recent years. Open questions still linger, however, as to which patient groups, and for which conditions, the nonspecific effects of BCG might produce a meaningful clinical benefit.

Jim Rice notes: (source: x.com )

Not generally available in the US, but you can get it in freeze-dried form from Indiamart, then put it in a capsule and take it orally. Slightly less effective than injection, which for BCG is somewhat difficult.

Other:

8 Likes

Has anyone tried this here?

I can’t even find BCG freeze dried on IndiaMart :thinking:

The vaccine (not freeze dried?). Avg. price seems to be about $10 / vial.

See: https://dir.indiamart.com/search.mp?ss=bacillus+Calmette-Guérin&v=4&qu-tr=1&mcatid=&catid=&tags=qr_nm:gd|res:RC3|com-cf:nl|ptrs:na|ktp:N0|mc:216416|mtp:S|qry_typ:P|lang:fr|wc:2|cs:7588

2 Likes

Listed on BG pharma, if Calgevax is it.
https://www.bgpharmadrugs.com/product/bcg-vaccine-calgevax-11-25-mg-1/

I would get it from a local pharmacy though. It seems the BCG vaccine leaves a scar at the injection site.

1 Like

So the oral one might be better at an adult age?

It does leave a scar - I have one on my shoulder.

1 Like

This must be the vaccine that everyone used to get, and it leaves a circular scar on the shoulder. At some point it was phased out or replaced by something else, because at some point people stopped having that common scar on the shoulder.

Ah… more here:

The characteristic raised scar that BCG immunization leaves is often used as proof of prior immunization. This scar must be distinguished from that of smallpox vaccination, which it may resemble

1 Like

There are some country specific guidelines here. Most US citizens don’t have or get the BCG vaccine because the accepted way to monitor tuberculosis exposure in the US is to place a ppd under the skin on “at risk” individuals and look for a diagnostic inflammatory response. Then further imaging is obtained if positive and treatment if necessary. If you’ve had a BCG vaccination your ppd will be positive (for life) and provide no information re current tuberculosis infection.

2 Likes

This sounds like a problem for which there must be some solution. What is the standard protocol for dealing with “at risk” US citizens (or foreigners in the US visiting) that have had a BCG vaccination that creates a lifetime positive ppd reading?

My experience is exclusively in the health care field where most healthcare workers are considered “at risk” and receive regular ppd screening (I think every 2 years). I believe BCG vaccinated workers are imaged (CXR) if symptomatic or after a known exposure. Problem is even if they develop an active TB infection, their imaging can be initially negative while they spread the infection so it can be a sub optimal approach. I don’t know what the likelihood of becoming symptomatic after TB exposure is if the person had a childhood BCG vaccination but presumably it is lower than those without a vaccination.

2 Likes

Are you sure?

Scar formation and tuberculin conversion following BCG vaccination in infants: A prospective cohort study 2015

Less than 10% of infants fail to develop a scar following BCG vaccination. There is good correlation between scar positivity and tuberculin conversion.

Clinical and Immune Impact of Mycobacterium bovis BCG Vaccination Scarring 2002

Also interesting: Factors influencing scar formation following Bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination 2023

The beneficial off-target effects of BCG are proposed to be stronger amongst children who develop a BCG scar.
The importance of scar formation is highlighted by studies that link the protective ‘off-target’ (also known as ‘non-specific’) clinical effects of BCG vaccination to the development of a scar. In observational studies in low-income countries, BCG-vaccinated children who developed a scar had lower all-cause mortality and fewer hospital admissions than those who did not. In addition, the presence and size of BCG scar have been shown to correlate with the magnitude of the immune response to BCG vaccination.
The need for revaccination in scar-negative children is debated. With increasing interest in BCG vaccination and revaccination for broader uses in both children and adults, it is important to understand more about BCG scarring.
Our findings have implications for BCG vaccination campaigns as well as the growing number of trials into the beneficial off-target effects of BCG in both adults and children. Optimising vaccine-related factors, particularly correct intradermal administration leading to a wheal, can increase the likelihood of scar development and consequent protective effects of BCG vaccination.

However, one assumption was that the BCG vax offered off-target protection against Covid-19. The RCT failed: Randomized Trial of BCG Vaccine to Protect against Covid-19 in Health Care Workers 2023

I don’t have a BCG scar: should I get the BCG vax? :thinking: (I officially got the BCG vax but my mom being anti-vax I’ve always suspected this wasn’t true…)

1 Like

No - I think I was mistaking the BCG scar for the smallpox scar… which has gone away. We don’t typically inoculate for tuberculosis in north america.

2 Likes

BCG is more typical for Eastern Europe. I got mine when a child.

1 Like

There’s a readily available blood test called Quantiferon Gold which screens for TB effectively, even in a vaccinated individual. That’s all I use now in the clinic when I’m going to prescribe an immunosuppressive medication. No need for the skin prick test any more.

3 Likes

I assume you mean this test:

2 Likes

The BCG scars are quite something in Asia:

Yes all us Eastern Europeans have been “branded” at the shoulder. My grandma had it on her thigh but I think the scar looks better on the shoulder. It makes no sense that they stopped vaccinating in the U.S. for all the pro vaccine general consensus here. There’s a large number of estimated cases of TB in this country that fly under the radar undiagnosed (13 mm according to the CDC).

1 Like

Full text:

Microglia, the resident innate immune cells of the central nervous system (CNS), play a role in canonical immune-related functions but also perform a wide range of CNS-tailored functions. Tiwari et al.1 explore one such function: myelin repair, which has implications for several CNS diseases, in particular multiple sclerosis (MS). Microglia participate in this process by phagocytosing myelin debris, which are required for successful remyelination. However, the efficiency of myelin debris clearance by microglia decreases with age, resulting in worse remyelination outcomes.2 This is just one of the many described aging-associated alterations to the neuroimmune system—which is thought to acquire a more pro-inflammatory phenotype—with accompanying transcriptomic and epigenetic alterations.3 The idea that microglia could be “primed” by aging to respond to future (inflammatory) challenges in an exaggerated or atypical manner is in line with the concept of innate immune memory that has been demonstrated in innate immune cells, including microglia.4

In their work, Tiwari et al. tied together these different concepts to contribute to our understanding of how aging impacts the microglial response to demyelination. First, they induced demyelination by focal lysolecithin (lysophosphatidylcholine [LPC]) injection and assessed the impact on microglia. By performing single-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) on microglia isolated from young (3 months) and aged (15 months) mice, they observed that aging affected the transcriptional responses of microglia to demyelination. Particularly, in aged mice, they observed a reduced expression of genes related to lipid metabolism, immune response, and phagocytosis in microglia isolated from LPC lesions. These gene expression changes in microglia from aged mice were partly explained by alterations in their epigenetic landscape, as analysis using bulk assay for transposase-accessible chromatin (ATAC) sequencing revealed a loss of chromatin accessibility in around 4,000 genes, of which 833 were also found to be downregulated in aged mice in the RNA-seq dataset. These genes were again involved in the innate immune response and lipid metabolism.

To explore whether epigenetic remodeling could rescue the observed aging-associated impaired myelination phenotype, the authors injected mice with the Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine. While typically used to immunize against tuberculosis, the vaccine has been shown to alter the epigenetic landscape of immune cells.5 Tiwari et al. observed that pre-vaccination with BCG led to improved remyelination outcomes in aged mice challenged with LPC. In a parallel experiment, increased microglial chromatin accessibility via the microglia-specific deletion of the histone de-acetylating enzymes Hdac1 and Hdac2 also resulted in improved remyelination in aged mice following LPC. Intriguingly, the effects of BCG vaccination were abolished in mice in which microglial expression of Hdac1 and Hdac2 were depleted. This suggests that shared pathway(s) underlie the beneficial effects of BCG vaccination and genetic deletion of Hdac1 and Hdac2, which have been described to play an important role in regulating microglial homeostasis.6 These results were complemented by investigations into molecular targets that could underlie the observed remyelination rescue, which were identified by cross-referencing genes decreased in expression during aging along with those enriched in the histone marks H3K4me3 and H3K27ac following BCG vaccination. The authors paid particular attention to validating a subset of genes identified toward either lipid metabolism or the innate immune response (Apoe, Abca1, Abcg1, Lamp2, B2m, Parp14, Ctsb, Nod1, Irgm1, and Irf7), suggesting that these play a role in microglial remyelination during aging.

This work offers fundamental insight into the interplay between aging, epigenomic changes, and myelin repair failure (Figure 1) but also raises some follow-up questions, perhaps the most intriguing of which is the BCG administration. First used over a hundred years ago, this attenuated virus vaccine has garnered recent attention from observations that it is able to confer protection against other unrelated diseases, e.g., viral infections.7 Although this vaccine used to be required in the late 1900s, its application has been relaxed in recent years, particularly in countries where the rates of tuberculosis continue to decline.8 However, its beneficial effects reported in this and other studies perhaps might rekindle an interest in this vaccine.

Figure 1 Turning back the clock on aging-associated myelin impairments with BCG vaccination

Show full captionFigure viewer

Particularly in the case of MS, it would be interesting to see whether BCG vaccination would be similarly beneficial in other animal models that mimic both the demyelinating and inflammatory component of the disease. Similarly, while Tiwari et al. laid the groundwork with their characterization of likely transcriptional and epigenetic targets that the BCG injection is acting on, more work needs to be done to better understand the molecular mechanisms that lead to restoration of remyelination in aged animals.

Nonetheless, the insights from this work also provide an interesting piece in the puzzle of understanding MS, whose global incidence follows what is sometimes described as a “latitude gradient.”9 Although BCG clearly would not immunize against MS (as evidenced by its prevalence even in generations of people subject to mandatory BCG vaccination), it would be interesting to assess whether MS progression or severity might somehow be linked to prior vaccination. And while there is much work to do to decipher epidemiological factors involved in the discrepancy between incidence rates around the globe, the results from Tiwari et al. raise the question of whether the increased rates of (tropical) infections from equatorial countries, and subsequent immunization efforts to prevent them, might somehow also contribute to the epidemiological data.

Another question that this work brings to mind is whether BCG would have similarly beneficial effects for other neurological and neurodegenerative diseases with strong neuroimmune components. It seems clear from the current work that BCG is able to modify expression of microglial genes involved in the immune response and lipid metabolism, so what might this mean for diseases where these processes are also afflicted, such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD)? Given the strong neuroimmune component of AD, as well as evidence for the role of the immunological memory in clearing pathology in mouse models that express Aβ,10 it seems likely that there are other diseases for which BCG vaccination, or the biological pathways triggered by it, might be beneficial.

Lastly, the success of this BCG experiment points us toward novel epigenetic mechanisms that contribute to remyelination, which likely overlap with pathways induced during the process of immune memory induction in microglia. However, more work needs to be done to understand how exactly these epigenetic changes in microglia result in improved efficiency of remyelination, e.g., in their interactions with the oligodendrocytes that produce myelin. Another pertinent question involves the timing to induce this unintended protection by BCG vaccination and how long the effects may last. In particular, because mandatory BCG programs are mostly implemented in children, a decay in its effectiveness against other diseases might suggest the utility of booster vaccinations, despite the fact that this is not currently recommended for the prevention of tuberculosis per se.8 As the insights into the exact molecular mechanisms by which BCG restored remyelination capacity generated by this and subsequent studies advance our knowledge, we can hopefully in the future design specific modulatory interventions to promote myelin repair and counteract detrimental changes to this process induced by both disease and aging. With enough understanding of the underlying mechanisms, we might even be able to delineate how to confer this protection independent of BCG vaccination.

The neuroimmune system is complex in its machinations, the minutiae of which we are only now starting to properly appreciate. However, the manuscript from Tiwari et al. also offers hope that we might be able to partially turn back time on some biological processes to restore functions that are progressively lost during aging.

1 Like

Definitely something to watch. It would be great to see how this translates to adults and what dosing frequency would be needed to achieve lasting epigenetic changes or if just a one time shot is all that is needed?

I see another study stating “Medical records for the next three decades were used to determine the incidence of AD in BCG-treated versus untreated patients, and it was discovered that the rate of AD was reduced by a factor of four in BCG-treated individuals”

2 Likes