Akkermansia mucciniphila improves healthspan and lifespan in old female mice

Do you have any info on quality of Codeage?

Let us know what happens when you tweak the Pendulum.

Just that someone from this forum emailed them and they said it live, and several people have said itā€™s a good brand. Itā€™s only about 22 cents instead of $2 so Iā€™m fine with it not doing much of anything at that price. Eventually if all my markers are good I will try zero probiotics and see if I can still hold good biomarkers. Then maybe it never did anything or maybe it survived in my gut enoughā€¦

A different take on supplements lol.

1 Like

I do not think its that simple, as Akkermansia muciniphila is also found and or increased in those having just finished antibotic cycles and this tends to have a negative correlation with gut microbial health. I do think Akkermansia muciniphila is a positive for health but its reason for being in larger or detectable numbers I think has more to do with a decrease in certain areas of competitiveness which may be as simple as reduced total volume of bacteria load. I do not think Akkermansia muciniphila does well competeing against other strains when those strains have large numbers with large amounts of fuel substrate.

It shows increased numbers when:
antibiotics are used
consuming keto diet
fasting
consuming CR diet.

One thing they all have in common is a reduced volume of bacteria. Independent of the biome spp/strain diversity.

3 Likes

So are the results attributed to akkermansia actually do to these conditions?

Iā€™m not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but I enjoyed this presentation from the CEO of Pendulum talking about their product - can click on this to go there.

2 Likes

Update on using Pendulum Akkermansia.

• almost no IBS symptoms over these last 3 months (maybe 2 events vs usual 6-10) :grin:
  • Also have been able to eat a wider range of vegetables.
  • have not had A1C tested but BG tending lower when I remember to check
  • unfortunately no appetite suppression from supposed GLP1 production
  • VERY unfortunate weight gain of 2 KG, despite no change in diet, resistance training or cardio other than usual winter reduction due to darkness, snow and ice. At least 1ā€ of subq jiggle gained around my usually lean waist. Possible that Iā€™m absorbing more calories from meals instead of shooting them through?
  • continued Rapa 1x week 6mg

New 3 month supply just arrived (now a single 90 capsule bottle instead of 3x30 capsules). Cancelling subscription and will stretch these out and support with fermented foods.

7 Likes

ā€œStrategies to promote abundance of Akkermansia muciniphila, an emerging probiotics in the gut, evidence from dietary intervention studiesā€

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1756464617301627

2 Likes

Without looking around to much.

90 capsules for less than $30.00

Use the capsules content to grow/ferment you own.

I heard a few podcasts with her, the best one was the longer one on Peter Attiaā€™s the Drive

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been off pendulumā€™s Akkermansia supplement for about a month. I havenā€™t retested HbA1c yet but my bowels have reverted to old habits so I can tell Iā€™m not retaining all the benefits. I just ordered more pendulum. Iā€™m able to get a better price through the service Iā€™ve set up for WiseAthletes podcast so why not.

5 Likes

Do you know how to do this? Grow anaerobic bacteria at home?

3 Likes

Review the following;

https://www.reddit.com/r/Microbiome/comments/178tmjo/i_finally_came_up_with_a_procedure_for_culturing/

3 Likes

For your skunk works ā€œDIY CO2 Incubator - Design and Buildā€

This looks hard to me. Even if you laboriously hack your way to a yogurt with live AM, what are the odds it will survive the stomach? I think the dead ones for some reason may be better than the live ones health wise, but the investment is huge and odds of success are scant.

I tested and have a decent population. Best place to raise it is in the gut. Eat for your gut buddies.

1 Like

High fat and protein overload diet (Argetron diet) + FINASTERIDE increases populations of g_Akkermansia, o_Verrucomicrobiales, S_Akkermansia_mucipiphila :joy:

Finasteride Alleviates High Fat Associated Protein-Overload Nephropathy by Inhibiting Trimethylamine N-Oxide Synthesis and Regulating Gut Microbiota

4 Likes

FYI. I have finalized a source for pendulum Akkermansia probiotic for $44.99 (30 day supply) minus another 5% ($42.75) with an autoship signup. Itā€™s a new service of the WiseAthletes podcast through Fullscript. Message me if you are interested. Iā€™m back on Akkermansia now, of course. HbA1c lowered from 5.6 to 5.0.

4 Likes

I signed up for an automatic subscription because it might take a fairly long time to change the makeup of my gut bacteria. Currently, I am very skeptical that supplementing
has any particular beneficial effect or else why do they have to do fecal implants to get any significant immediate change?

FMT is considered a safe, cost-effective, and highly effective treatment option with a success rate of around 90%.

Actually it ainā€™t cheap IMO

2 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s a huge improvement, great job. If I had to choose between low ApoB or low blood sugar, Iā€™d choose low blood sugar for sure.

1 Like