23andMe Reports

I keep seeing references to 23andMe reports about your genome. I had signed up for their service many years back and never received such a report. All the reports were generic - like you are not going to go bald or you have superior athletic muscles (really?) What service tells you about your genome? I would be very interested in checking my genomic sequence for different genes. Thanks!

I bought Ancestry a few years ago. Recently they have sent me a couple of reports with personality traits and a very slight revision to my ethnicity percentage breakdown. I haven’t gotten anything that resembles a genomic sequence.

Both of you need to request a download and then upload to a site like promethease but keeping in mind the FDA neutered promethease reports and with 23andme and ancestry you don’t get a full genome anyway

2 Likes

Would appreciate guidance on the best services, both to collect sample and to provide analysis. I used 23&Me and Promethease and learned about two significant (Magnitude 4) risk phenotypes that I have. That was certainly worth the price of admssion! But would welcome more insight into the overall genetics.

1 Like

See this thread also:

I recommend Nebula genomics for analysis.

2 Likes

Did the results lead you to any changes in supplementation or lifestyle, diet, etc.?

It sounds like 23 and me is going out of business. This podcast is interesting because, in part, it delves into the whole “sickcare” vs. “healthcare” issues of the American health system.

1 Like

Yes. 23andMe will probably be delisted from the stock market shortly (this month) as it couldn’t keep its share price above $1. It’s also burning cash. There is an effort to take the company private, but it doesn’t look good. Make sure you get your testing information from the site before it goes dark!

2 Likes

OK - a question for people who have done 23 and me, or looked at the options in this market. Should someone (like myself) who has not yet gotten a 23 and me report, get it now quickly before they shut down?

Are there competitors that offer as good a report? for a competitive price?

2 Likes

I think you can get a full sequencing for a small premium now. Why not do that since it’s a one and done thing.l?

1 Like

I thought the 23andMe information was useful. I then ran it through Nebula Genomics to get more detail. The problem is that when 23andMe goes out of business, future genetic testing services may not support their data.

1 Like

The reports are not useful, just getting the raw genomic data to upload to other services. You can use AncestryDNA® | DNA Tests for Ethnicity & Genealogy DNA Test which sequences 700,000 SNP’s which is 100,000 more than 23andme for $120. Or pay a bit more for whole genome sequencing from Nebula Genomics - 30x Whole Genome Sequencing - DNA Testing or Whole Genome Sequencing Test | Dante Labs – Dante Labs Global, which is much better.

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s the case because people don’t know how to reform the pension system for older and healthier lives. Sickcare is the case for the American client states (European countries, AU/NZ), as well.

It sounds, from the podcast, that its likely that the founder, Anne Wojcicki - Wikipedia will likely buy the company herself (she’s the major shareholder, and has boatloads of money having been formerly married to Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google) and her sister is also a billionaire as one of the first employees of Google. I think if Anne buys it, it is likely the best outcome. I like Anne’s efforts with this business and she really sounds like she’s trying to help people. She obviously isn’t doing this for the money - she’s got plenty of that. I hope she’s successful.

3 Likes

Well, billionaires’ pet projects don’t need to be profitable. If she has money on that order of magnitude, she could keep it going for quite a while as a private company even with the cash burn. However, it may shrink in scope.

I like 23andme, it’s how I found out about my ApoE4/4 status and a bunch of other health traits. I’ve also done ancestry DNA and myheritage DNA, 23andme is the best of those 3 in my opinion. I’m bummed to hear they’re going under because I just sent in my son’s sample last week!

Considering who the CEO is and how much disposable income she has, 23andMe will probably just become a private company. The only real losers here are the stockholders.

1 Like

This Doc is extremely upset about the situation at 23andMe. :wink:

2 Likes

I like 23andme for the health trait info so I gifted the tests to my son and his wife as they expressed an interest in that also. Skeleton came out of the closet as a result-she found who she thought was her father all her life, was not. Oops.

2 Likes