Whole Genome Sequencing

I would just suggest researching customer satisfaction carefully. Negative comments on Reddit led me to dig more carefully. No review site is perfect, but on TrustPilot:

Dante Labs gets a 2.3, replied to 98% of negative reviews, and had a < 2 day review response time.

Nebula Genomics gets a 2.9, replied to 40% of negative reviews, and had a <2 week review response time.

Sequencing gets a 4.5, replied to 94% of negative reviews, and had <1 week review response time.

Dante and Nebula have far more reviews than Sequencing.

2 Likes

Smart! I did something similar. Some companies actually describes such a procedure but I doubt most consumers bother to follow it.

1 Like

I donā€™t think there is any genetic privacy. It is enough one relative far away does the 23andme test so that your DNA can be connected with them.

I think Promethease and SNPedia is useless for the most part as the genetic associations are weak, uploading to something like Nebula genomics is better as you get a risk score relative to other users based on good studies.

1 Like

I just noticed that Sequencing dot com is offering expedited processing for the same price as normal processing right now. It cuts the wait time down to 6-8 weeks. I waited 10 for normal processing but I think I got lucky or did a really good job with the cheek swabbing. (j/k) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m tempted to try nebulaā€¦ Be interesting to see.

I used 23andme, did not consent to Ancestry (donā€™t want to connect with long-lost cousins) and donā€™t have children so this ends with me. Iā€™m doing this out of curiosity and to better understand and tweak my health. I found Nebula a bit much and am really enjoying a subscription to geneticlifehacks.com which is more than enough for me at this moment in my life. :+1:t4: :+1:t4:

Geneticslifehack is not a very friendly interface. Some people might have issues navigating through it. I had to read everything 2 to 3 times.

Anyone have an answer to this question:

The variants in question are:

• rs10496731
  • rs3798220

I just checked my genome and found my data for the former but not the later of those two variants. Im not currently taking any niacin supplements but find this interesting.

I am noticing that there are a large percentage variants without any publication citations or many details in SNPedia. I am sure that will improve in time.

rs3798220 has a lot more citations. My data seems to be missing that variant. This seems like an important variant for estimating cardiovascular event risks (and whether or not aspirin may be helpful?).

1 Like

Umm, lol?

rs3798220, also known as I4399M or Ile4399Met, is a SNP in the apolipoprotein(A) LPA gene that has been reported to be associated with elevated plasma lipoprotein(a) [Lp(a)] and increased cardiovascular risk, and in particular, coronary artery disease.

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs3798220

I have a slight feeling rn the niacin metabolite paper is a confounded mess.

Oh nevermind, it is not from the niacin paper but another paper on Lp(a).

Works for my brain. :woman_shrugging:t4: Nebula is like 23andme on steroids. TMI. Geneticlifehacks is like a conversation with a really smart, highly educated friend. Perhaps not everyoneā€™s cup of :tea:
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This thread led me back to some of my ā€˜scoresā€™ on one of the paid services.

According to this site, Iā€™m very, very likely to be a tall, dark-eyed, left-handed, schizophrenic lesbian with a cleft lip. Who naps every day. Has Touretteā€™s syndrome and a gambling problem. Letā€™s not even talk about my thin cerebral cortex or brain groove width. Ugh! Oh, and I die of Covid-19 or Mad Cow Disease, probably any day now. But mosquitos donā€™t like me, so thereā€™s that.

Wait, wait, it appears Iā€™m genetically resistant to the Mad Cow. But my bone mineral density score is so low Iā€™m like a sock monkey doll.

I may be a super-ager, but Iā€™m so schizophrenic I may have just made that up. My brain volume is sub-par, no wait, itā€™s above average! Luckily Iā€™m in the 0th percentile for psychosis. Tell that to Diego, my ayahuasca guru.

Iā€™m an extravert. OMG, Iā€™m lonely! But then I live in the second least populated country on earth. By choice. Because Iā€™m an anti-social, depressed, schizophrenic?

I have PTSD! I was held at gunpoint once by teenage Ethiopian pastoralists trying to shake me down for the equivalent of USD$1. I pretty much knew there were no bullets in their AKā€™s. Does that count?

Genetically, I have a very low risk tolerance.

Average higher intelligence score? Screw you, Nebula. Iā€™m so depressed. Because, you know, itā€™s genetic.

100th percentile for insomnia? Thatā€™s gonna keep me up nights. Which I already am. Or maybe itā€™s just the kidney stones.

Iā€™ll keep the gene reports for thinness, no visceral adiposity and high vitamin D, thank you very much. :wink:

9 Likes

Wow. Thanks for that. This is exactly what I was looking for. I agree with you on Nebula, itā€™s all over the place. Iā€™ve still found it useful, and itā€™s given me a few pointers, but thereā€™s not a lot of actionable data.

2 Likes

Nice! Thought Iā€™d have to go to my neighborhood palm reader/fortune teller for that. I had no idea that genetics were so interesting!

1 Like

REVIEW| VOLUME 187, ISSUE 5, P1059-1075, FEBRUARY 29, 2024

Download Full Issue

Genetic and molecular architecture of complex traits

Summary

Human genetics has emerged as one of the most dynamic areas of biology, with a broadening societal impact. In this review, we discuss recent achievements, ongoing efforts, and future challenges in the field. Advances in technology, statistical methods, and the growing scale of research efforts have all provided many insights into the processes that have given rise to the current patterns of genetic variation. Vast maps of genetic associations with human traits and diseases have allowed characterization of their genetic architecture. Finally, studies of molecular and cellular effects of genetic variants have provided insights into biological processes underlying disease. Many outstanding questions remain, but the field is well poised for groundbreaking discoveries as it increases the use of genetic data to understand both the history of our species and its applications to improve human health.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(24)00060-6

1 Like

@cara2023, immensely entertaining! You nailed it!!! Hahaha

1 Like

My Shouts & Murmurs ode to genetic testing reports.

Hmmm, come to think of it, Shouts & Murmurs is a rather schizophrenic name for a humor column. :thinking:

2 Likes

nope itā€™s mitochondrial

How much incremental value do you believe exists in whole genome sequencing, in addition to the standard DNA testing offered by companies like 23andMe?

I recently discovered a new startup that provides this service:
https://twitter.com/Nucleusgenomics/status/1772292815550038474

Actual mitochondrial is hard because each mitochondrion can have more than one copy and the copies can be different even in the individual mitochondrion.