Which supplements do you think are still worth taking?

My regimen lately has been:
6mg rapamycin 1x/week
caffeine 200mg
500mg tributyrin
1mg finasteride
3g glycine powder upon waking, some nights a second 3g dose
1g taurine 3x/day
500mg AAKG 3x/day (need to be more consistent)
1g piracetam most days
2.5mg melatonin before bed
5mg lithium orotate every 2-3 days
20g collagen peptides 1x/day
Also consume quite a bit of wild blueberries and matcha lately, so some interesting molecules coming from there as well

Skin health:
Skinceuticals products: CE Ferulic and Hydrating B5 gel and spf50 mineral sunscreen. I use the sunscreen mainly on my face and neck. Try to get sun without burning on my upper body for potential cardiovascular benefits. The CE Ferulic on face, neck and upper body, and the hydrating B5 gel on face and neck.

I’ve been using the CE Ferulic for a couple years now, but in the past month I also started the B5 gel. I think my skin has been looking the best it’s ever looked, so I will stick with these products even if they are considered overpriced.

Mental Health: Trying to do at least 2x 10-20 minute guided meditations per day to reduce irritability and gain better control of my thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Also going to join a local softball and basketball league to try and make some friends outside of my academic life.

Was using tyrosine pretty consistently but recently stopped because the effects faded. Also tried to start acarbose again but it fucks up my appetite and also seems to make me moodier, so I dropped it again.

Oh yeah, and have added famotidine 10mg 3-4x/day the past couple weeks and it’s remarkably been managing my GERD and chronic gastritis symptoms. It’s allowed me to cut way back on Gavison and being able to eat more types of food. I’ve also started having loose stools consistently basically every day the past couple weeks which is a possible side effect of famotidine. I don’t think it’s the rapamycin since I’ve been taking it for 5 months now and that wasn’t a consistent issue before.

I’ve got 17alpha-E2 and I want to start that soon, just haven’t been able to find the time and motivation yet. If topical will probably just follow Bryan Johnson’s protocol.

3 Likes

It works for my GERD as well.

Why do you take glycine first thing in the morning?

My routine is generally to have a few glasses of water right when I wake up, and I generally will just mix my supplements in with that.

Also when I was taking 40g collagen per day it was giving me sleep issues, so on the off chance all the glycine in there was contributing, I try to have the glycine earlier in the day.

I also have water on waking up. But I was under the assumption that Glycine can potentially help with sleep.

That seems to be the consensus. Glycine alone doesn’t cause me any issues, but when I was taking 40g/day collagen I kept waking up halfway through the night. As soon as I stopped collagen my sleep returned to normal, and I’ve been able to add back in 20g/day with no issue.

Interesting. I’ll play around with the Collagen dose. I currently take 30 grams before sleep… which I’ve heard translates to 10 grams of Glycine… which is quite a bit.

I was mainly taking it to increase amino consumption while still limiting certain aminos like methionine and isoleucine, plus the extra glycine is nice.

No idea why it was messing with my sleep though, I posted about it in one of the collagen threads a while back.

Would welcome your thoughts about Raloxifene, since you are interested in DIM as a regulator of estrogen. Raloxifene is the generic of “Evista” It is a SERM: selective estrogen reuptake modulator. It prevents estrogen being taken up by the cells in the breast but behaves like estrogen in the cells of bone, brain. 60 mg is the usual prescribed dose but 120 grams has been shown to be neuroprotective. I am on 60 mg for osteoporosis and cancer prevention but thinking of going to 120. Possible adverse effects: blood clotting. Rare but must be mentioned. I take aspirin.

Sorry, I have no medical background and cannot offer anything other than a layman’s opinion.
My opinions are based on the results of various search engines.

I take DIM to balance my testosterone/estrogen levels. This is an ongoing experiment and based on two blood tests it seems to be working.

Based on my search, a 120 mg dose of Raloxifene does not seem to be safe:
“Doses higher than 60 mg per day have not been well studied and are not recommended.”

This is the result of a quick search into the benefits of Raloxifene:

Raloxifene is a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) used to treat and prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. It has also been studied for the following off-label uses:

Benefits in Postmenopausal Osteoporosis
Increases bone mineral density and reduces risk of vertebral fractures
Does not stimulate breast or uterine tissue like estrogen therapy
Lower risk of invasive breast cancer compared to placebo
Dosage
60 mg tablet once daily
Can be taken with or without food
Off-Label Uses
Breast Cancer Prevention
Shown to reduce risk of invasive breast cancer in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis
Not currently FDA approved for breast cancer risk reduction
Cardiovascular Effects
May lower LDL cholesterol and reduce risk of cardiovascular events
Data is mixed - further research needed
Vasomotor Symptoms
May help relieve hot flashes, night sweats
Less effective than estrogen therapy
Prostate Cancer
Mixed results in clinical trials
Not currently recommended
Contraindications
Pregnancy
History of venous thromboembolism
Undiagnosed uterine bleeding
Breast cancer

2 Likes

Thank you. It seems Raloxifene, like Metformin, is one of those cheap and “dirty” drugs with multiple system effects. Taking both.

Do we still like glucosamine here or is this a deal breaker?

3 Likes

It’s a deal breaker for sure because the benefits of taking glucosamine are suspect even if it didn’t increase certain cancers.

“Conclusions:
Regular glucosamine use was associated with lower risk of lung cancer but higher risk of skin cancer, prostate cancer, and overall cancer.

5 Likes

Looks like it helped in cervical and lung, but overall bad. I take quite a lot of it and it should help with heart disease and arthritis, which I have. Thanks for bringing this up.

3 Likes

With supplements, there are always trade-offs.

4 Likes

The CI at times includes a HR of 1.01 not personally if the view rhat the analysis means that much. I would like to see the detailed counts.

Well, I guess I am cutting my Glucosamine. Last time I did that, my knees started hurting, but we shall see.

Glucosamine also interferes with the effects of NAC which I also take daily.

1 Like

It does?! I’ve been taking them together for countless years. What’s the negative interaction?

I couldn’t find anything online about it. Are you sure there’s a negative interaction?

I’m going off of the information posted earlier in this thread.

As for the NAC issue, there was a posting that said Glucosamine interferes with NAC. I’d have to dig through the forum to find it though.

Oh it was posted here. I’ll try to find it