What are your top 10 biomarkers to track for improving healthspan and longevity?

Admittedly not a great take on functional biomarkers, but here it is just because its out there at a popular newspaper, from the Wall Street Journal:

Are You Fit for Your Age? Test Yourself With These Exercises

Measuring your cardiovascular fitness, strength and balance can give a read on how well you’re aging

Having an idea of your so-called fitness age matters. You can slow various declines in health through relatively minor changes, say academics and health professionals. Cardiovascular changes, for example, have been shown to add years to your life.

The first step is to track your fitness benchmarks in areas such as aerobic capacity and muscular endurance. Then, you should aim to keep them in an optimal range to help manage your aging, says Dr. Randall Espinoza, associate director at the UCLA Longevity Center. (You can try some sample tests below.)

While there is no universally agreed-upon way to measure fitness age, a true road map to longevityshould also consider diet, consistent and adequate sleep, and maintaining social ties.

Full article: Are You Fit for Your Age? Test Yourself With These Exercises (WSJ)

1 Like

Attia has a new company focused on individualized exercise programs for longevity…

This article discusses the approach and some biomarkers they use:

The 10 Squared squad are like fitness precogs in Minority Report, connecting clues in the present to prevent a bad event before it happens in the future. They will triangulate the results from the 30 drills I do for stability, strength, and cardio; factor in my body composition from a DEXA scan; then prescribe a fitness plan to power me for the next five decades. That’s not a typo; this program is not 7-Minute Abs! or Great Shape in 4 Weeks! It’s a training blueprint for your whole life.

The Author’s Key Results & 10 Squared’s Target Numbers

DEXA SCAN: Lean mass (aka muscle)

RESULT: 97th Percentile

GOAL: 75th percentile or above

DEXA SCAN: Body fat

RESULT: 50th percentile

GOAL: 25th percentile (for body fat, lower is better) (I need to go from 23% fat to 18% or lower.)

CARDIO: Based on VO2 max

RESULT: 43.8 High for a 50 to 59-year-old

GOAL: 53+ Elite for 30- to 39-year-olds

STRENGTH: Using a hand grip strength device

RESULT: Right: 55.1 kg, Left: 49.2 kg, 85th percentile

GOAL: 75th percentile or above (Less than 30 kg is considered frail.)

STABILITY: Single-leg Romberg test: stand on one leg eyes closed

RESULT: Right: Not stable after 5 seconds, Left: Not stable after 2 seconds

GOAL: 20 seconds without foot or lower-leg movement, swaying, or arm waving

Peter Attia's 10 Squared: The Three Pillars of Forever Fitness

3 Likes

AST and ALT are not very good for assessing liver health. New info for me. Here is MedCram talking about liver function and markers.

1 Like

I like these functional fitness biomarkers (as a quick way to see how fit you are) that were highlighted in the Peter Diamandis PDF: Peter Diamandis Longevity Protocol: Weekly 6mg Rapamycin + 100 mg Doxycycline - #90 by RapAdmin

More details:

https://medium.com/@acuregan/fitness-50-at-age-100-a6f30ebd3067

2 Likes