Vegetarians/vegans vs non-vegans (the differences)

Hyperhomocysteinaemia is an independent risk factor for CVD. Recent data show a relationship between homocysteine (Hcy) and free radical formation. Since creatine synthesis is responsible for most of the methyl group transfers that result in Hcy formation, creatine supplementation might inhibit Hcy production and reduce free radical formation. The present study investigated the effects of creatine supplementation on Hcy levels and lipid peroxidation biomarkers. Thirty rats were divided into three groups: control group; diet with creatine group (DCr; 2 % creatine in the diet for 28 d); creatine overload plus diet with creatine group (CrO + D; 5 g creatine/kg by oral administration for 5 d+2 % in the diet for 23 d). Plasma Hcy was significantly lower (P < 0.05) in DCr (7.5 (sd 1.2) micromol/l) and CrO + D (7.2 (sd 1.7) micromol/l) groups compared with the control group (12.4 (sd 2.2) micromol/l). Both plasma thiobarbituric acid-reactive species (TBARS) (control, 10 (sd 3.4); DCr, 4.9 (sd 0.7); CrO + D, 2.4 (sd 1) micromol/l) and plasma total glutathione (control, 4.3 (sd 1.9); DCr, 2.5 (sd 0.8); CrO + D, 1.8 (sd 0.5) micromol/l) were lower in the groups that received creatine (P < 0.05). In addition, Hcy showed significant negative correlation (P < 0.05) with plasma creatine (r - 0.61) and positive correlation with plasma TBARS (r 0.74). Plasma creatine was negatively correlated with plasma TBARS (r - 0.75) and total peroxide (r - 0.40). We conclude that creatine supplementation reduces plasma Hcy levels and lipid peroxidation biomarkers, suggesting a protective role against oxidative damage. Modulating Hcy formation may, however, influence glutathione synthesis and thereby affect the redox state of the cells.

Effects of creatine supplementation on homocysteine levels and lipid peroxidation in rats - PubMed.

Thanks a bunch.

Have you seen any clinical / human data?

Any other color, what context did you hear/learn that from?

(Found one paper above in rodents).

I saw that on nutritionfacts.org long ago but didnā€™t look at it in detail, heā€™s made a few videos on homocystine.
Itā€™s a safe supplement and good for other reasons, so no reason not to take it anyway.

1 Like

:ok_hand:

For anyone else who want to take a look, see here:

And

1 Like

The best form of B12 is cyanocobalamin, itā€™s more shelf-stable and researched.
I wouldnā€™t risk b12 deficiency with any other form. Especially for elderly who have less absorption of b12 and afaik pretty high rates of b12 deficiency.

1 Like

Thanks. I got this one after hearing which version Peter Attia used during the early fall of 2023.

Doss that look ok or do you know of any better versions:

Yeah, thatā€™s methylcobalamin. Peter isnā€™t immune to bad thinking either.
For people with kidney disease other form of b12 than cyanocobalamin is recommended, not necessarily methyl version.

I would buy a vitamin b12 made by a pharma company. Seems itā€™s not easy to find on USA amazon but if you can get a prescription this is good:
Amazon Pharmacy: VITAMIN B12 1000 MCG TAB?

2 mg / 1x week, 1 mg/day for elderly.

1 Like

Science points towards that reducing dietary methionine and isoleucine intake can extend our lifespan/health span. As an omnivore and lean meat eater, it is hard for me to become vegan or vegetarian and make that kind of radical dietary adjustment. But I find the associations that are found in the study that the proof refers to in this video, comforting. Even a rather limited exchange of animal protein to more plant protein might be beneficial when it comes to health span.

But then again, those who had a larger intake of plant based protein would most likely also have had a larger general intake of plants/vegetables. So what is the cause of the observed effects on health, the specific increased plant protein in the diet or a general diet with increased food coming from plants?

4 Likes

[stay tf away from factory farmed food and food from non-wholesome animals]. Idk if grassfed counts, in part b/c itā€™s hard to completely trust the label ā€œgrassfedā€ (also, itā€™s just the genetics of mass-bred cows/chickens - cows/chickens have been genetically bred to be fat, short-living, and unhealthy, which is why grassfed/organic isnā€™t trustworthy)

[fish may be an exception here, though their proteins surrounded by PUFAs get easily damaged by cooking methods]

Idk, Japan has a deer overpopulation issue and Iā€™d be more amenable to people eating limited quantities of deer there, but they donā€™t even want to (thus they canā€™t even sell the meat they hunt). It feels so weird for me to advocate hunting, but it has become the contrarian and least environmentally destructive option, so I advocate for it (when quotas are responsible, hunters really work to preserve habitat that would otherwise go to grazing, see ducksunlimited)

Btw, Karl Pfleger is full-on vegan and often promotes vegan-based diets for longevity where so many others are reluctant to do so.

1 Like