The microplastics thread. 195,500 particles/gm microplastics in apple? 126,150 particles/gm in broccoli, etc

Ok, it’s true that this crazy practice will reduce NMP’s in your drinking water, but at the same time it takes out the calcium and magnesium, which is bad. Maybe it just takes out most of it, don’t know as they didn’t say, but when they took magnesium out of the water in Israel (I think, could look it up I suppose) many more people got afib. It happened when they were taking the salt out of sea water, to make drinking water. Magnesium is important and most of us are short already.

So while they say this works, they don’t say it’s a good idea.

1 Like

The best would be to reduce MNP production indeed: "First plastic demonstrated to not create microplastics" has been tested

1 Like

Home Lawn & Garden: Mulch: Using Colored Plastic Mulches in the Vegetable Garden | Center for Agriculture, Food, and the Environment at UMass Amherst.

Edx course
https://learning.edx.org/course/course-v1:WageningenX+PLAST01x+3T2023/block-v1:WageningenX+PLAST01x+3T2023+type@sequential+block@e2403115b3b94723aeaecc745c2cf375/block-v1:WageningenX+PLAST01x+3T2023+type@vertical+block@6a2ceaeb07b84491a40e613d3f978ad1

Does the microplastics from mulches get inside the plant/fruit/vegetable?

You should get adequate amounts from food or supplements anyway.

From what I’ve read, most people don’t get enough anyway so it is a major health hazard to take it from the water:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S001393511830358X

People that use RO have trouble, so they have a way to put it back in. It’s called a remineralizer.

This is a quote from Malcolm Kendrick blog. I have trouble making the blockquote system work here. Hit and miss.

"Most people are probably blissfully unaware they need magnesium. If you don’t have enough, how would you know? The first recognisable symptom may be … suddenly dropping dead.

Israel gives us a stark warning of what happens when magnesium goes missing, with no-one noticing. For many years, most of the water supply in Israel has been provided by desalination. This process does not just get rid of salt (NaCl), it also removes the other salts, and minerals, at the same time.

In normal circumstances people get most of the magnesium they need from drinking water. Which means there was clearly a potential for a major deficiency problem building up in Israel. As most of their water contained nothing but pure H20.

Did anyone notice? As in, did anyone say, ‘golly I feel low in magnesium today, I must go and eat a substance high in magnesium…’ Nope. Did anyone die. Yup, they did. As outlined in the paper ‘Association between exposure to desalinated sea water and ischemic heart disease, diabetes mellitus and colorectal cancer; A population-based study in Israel.’ 1

There were possibly as many as 4,000 deaths a year:

‘An estimated 4,000 Israelis die in an average year due to an inadequate amount of magnesium in their bodies – and the amount they get from natural potable water sources is increasingly declining due to the growing desalination of sea water. The figure is 10-fold the death toll from road accidents.’ 2

The population of Israel is just over nine million. The equivalent death rate in the UK would be 30,000 deaths a year, or 180,000 in the US. A silent killer indeed.

Anyway, yes, magnesium is critical stuff. It is extremely important for health, especially heart health. It is required for the correct functioning of the electrical system in your heart, and a low level increases the risk of atrial fibrillation. Here from the paper ‘Low serum magnesium and the development of atrial fibrillation in the community: the Framingham Heart Study.’

‘…individuals in the lowest quartile of serum magnesium were ~50% more likely to develop AF…compared with those in the upper quartiles.’ 3

Unfortunately, despite its importance, we don’t feel magnesium depleted. We do not crave magnesium rich foods – as if we would have any idea what they might be … I certainly don’t. The symptoms of severe deficiency are also non-specific. The first symptom might be that your heart decides to stop beating.

It’s not just Israel. Here from the paper: ‘Subclinical magnesium deficiency: a principal driver of cardiovascular disease and a public health crisis.’

‘Furthermore, because of chronic diseases, medications, decreases in food crop magnesium contents, and the availability of refined and processed foods, the vast majority of people in modern societies are at risk for magnesium deficiency.’ 4

Have you ever heard of any of this? Did you even know you had magnesium in your body – or that it did anything important? I suspect not. However, from the same paper:

By Malcolm Kindrick:

‘…magnesium deficiency can lead to serious morbidity and mortality and has been implicated in multiple cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension, cardiomyopathy, cardiac arrhythmia, atherosclerosis, dyslipidaemia and diabetes. Unfortunately, the western diet is often low in magnesium due to the refining and processing of foods, and hypomagnesaemia is often underdiagnosed in hospitalised patients.’ 4

My advice, take a supplement. Especially if you live in an area with ‘soft’ water – which generally means not many minerals. Doubly especially if you have atrial fibrillation. It might just go away. How much do you need to take? Around 400mg a day is fine.

2 Likes

Interesting info! I would be curious as to how much calcium and magnesium are available via people’s water supplies by region/source. I know here in North New Jersey the water is very hard, so hard that to avoid household appliances (water heaters, dishwashers, etc.) breaking down from the scaley buildup, a high percentage of folks have home water softeners. These strip the water of calcium and magnesium. I wonder if using water softeners is a potential hazard if people don’t supplement? I have a water softener in my house because for just about any other purpose, softer water is far superior–we can use much less soap in our washing machine (laundry) and dishwasher, plus it just tastes better.

As I believe I’ve mentioned upthread, we also use a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water. I’m hoping that’s reducing my overall intake of microplastics, but it’s still not clear how much of a health threat microplastics really are. This is a good thread with lots of food for thought.

1 Like

Alex was way ahead of the curve on identifying this, I have to admit I’ve been skeptical. But the science just seems to be starting to focus on this issue now and it doesn’t look good:

The potential impacts of micro-and-nano plastics on various organ systems in humans

Micro-and-nano plastics (MNPs) “can lead to health effects through oxidative stress, inflammation, immune dysfunction, altered biochemical and energy metabolism, impaired cell proliferation, disrupted microbial metabolic pathways, abnormal organ development, and carcinogenicity.”

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ebiom/article/PIIS2352-3964(23)00467-X/fulltext

5 Likes

Perhaps not the type of supplementation that most of us are wanting…

We are ingesting an average of 5 grams of plastic every week, the equivalent of a credit card

Globally, we are ingesting an average of 5 grams of plastic every week, the equivalent of a credit card, a new* study suggests…This plastic contamination comes from “microplastics” – particles smaller than five millimeters – which are making their way into our food, drinking water and even the air…** :CNN

Nanoplastics are tiny pieces of plastic debris measuring less than 100 nanometers in size, and they have been found to have a detrimental impact on human health. “They have been found in fresh snowfall in Antarctica and at the depths of the Marianas Trench, as well as in human blood; breast milk; urine; and placental, lung and liver tissue.”** NBC News

2 Likes
How do you try to avoid microplastics and other toxins in your family’s food?

I don’t microwave in plastic. Years ago, I put my kids’ plastic baby bottles in the microwave to warm up milk because I, like so many people, just thought everything I bought at the store was safe for all uses. Now, because of my research, I would never do that. Heat makes plastic release harmful chemicals like BPA so I always microwave in ceramic or glass — that’s a really easy one. Still, it just goes to show that the burden shouldn’t be on me as the consumer to figure out if products can be toxic.

I have a glass water bottle to avoid buying plastic water bottles. Steel water bottles are also a good choice.

2 Likes

If you review the “study” (which is really a summary of studies), it says “Could be ingesting as much as 5 grams/week” - somehow that became “We are ingesting 5 grams per week” in the title of the news post.

So yes, probably just a maximum for some people.

Microplastics have been defined as plastic particles with an upper size limit of 5 mm. Microplastics are of significant concern as they may pose a direct threat (by ingestion), or indirect threat (by acting as potential stressors or vectors of contaminants) to humans. Mismanagement of primary and secondary microplastics may be accumulated and/or transferred through the food chain and reach our digestive system and bloodstream. This paper attempts to provide a snapshot through a systematic review of the published literatures, and calculate an ingestion rate for humans considering various exposure pathways. This study analysed the available literature as a method for data collection and synthesis to allow for an estimation of the amount of microplastics ingested by humans. A critical research of the available literature and subsequent unit normalized calculation of the amounts of microplastics ingested by humans through various exposure pathways suggest that on average, humans may be ingesting as much as 5 g/week of microplastics.
Source: How Much Microplastics Are We Ingesting?: Estimation of the Mass of Microplastics Ingested. / Plastic ingestion by people could be equating to a credit card a week / Featured News / Newsroom / The University of Newcastle, Australia.

Here is the newer (2021) research publication from NewCastle:

How Much Microplastics Are We Ingesting?: Estimation of the Mass of Microplastics Ingested.

the actual publication: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304389420319944?via%3Dihub

Here is the 2019 summary document, from the WWF/NewCastle University:

plastic_ingestion_web_spreads.pdf (1.3 MB)

2 Likes

I will actually review it when back at home from work, but the quote threw me off…

@SNK , you better be careful, you’re starting to sound just like Kansel and you know what happened to him…always room in the Rapa dungeon for one more. So you better start kissin up to @RapAdmin or by this time next year, I’ll be quoting you :wink:
That’s better…guess I scared you…the Rapa dungeon’s a creepy place!

2 Likes

LOL Your fault for quoting him, I just decided to copy his style for couple of my posts. hahaa.
But again, though how the hell you can ingest or inhale or somehow consume a 5millimeter piece of plastic and you would not notice it? Who on this planet buys that? I thought nano particles are not visible by naked eyes. Clearly in an effort to reduce plastic usage (which I’m all for it, but with something cheaper and not ten times the cost) they write these nonsensical things (I’m talking about those that write the headings of the papers, haven’t read the study yet)

p.s I didn’t like that you said somewhere that @AnUser is smarter than kansel. I thought kansel was one of the smartest people around. :joy::joy::joy: (not withstanding his style)

1 Like

Yes - you don’t want to get "Kansel"ed.

5 Likes

lol that it yet another good one :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Hey take it easy on @AnUser , I just looked at his public profile and all the threads he started and read many, many of his posts. He’s made a great contribution here and (despite his quirks) how anyone could talk about banning him is beyond me.

1 Like

I agree, he does a good job digging up stuff.

1 Like

Sounds like we need ITP for potentially harmful substances. Would be interesting to know if microplastics shorten mice lifespan and by how much.

1 Like

That’s a straw man. Nobody made a claim that swallowing a 5mm particle “wouldn’t be noticed”. The definition of a microplastic particle is “less than 5mm in size”. That’s all. The definition includes a lot of particles that are much, much less than 5mm in size. Do you really not understand that?

Also, nanoplastic particles are much smaller (less than 1 micrometer) and are invisible to the naked eye.