The microplastics thread. 195,500 particles/gm microplastics in apple? 126,150 particles/gm in broccoli, etc

Individual who are concerned to start measure how much is in your blood.

Review

“Discovery and quantification of plastic particle pollution in human blood”

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412022001258

“Microplastic’ is a term for plastic particles for which no universally established definition exists. In the literature, microplastic is often defined as plastic particles up to 5 mm in dimensions with no defined lower size limit (e.g. Arthur et al., 2009, GESAMP, 2015, ECHA, 2019). ‘Nanoplastic’ is a term for plastic particles in the submicron range, <1 μm. In the nanotechnology field, ‘nanoplastic’ may refer to engineered particles <100 nm, i.e. the nanotechnology application size limit. To circumvent the ambiguity of the terms microplastic and nanoplastic particles in this article we will refer to ‘plastic particles’ and where appropriate define the size or size range. Our study was concerned with plastic particles that can be absorbed across membranes in the human body. Our operationally defined method targeted particles that could be retained on a filter with pore size of 700 nm, i.e. particles ≥700 nm in dimension. The inner diameter of the needle used for venipuncture (0.514 mm) can be considered the upper size limit of particles this method could sample”

2 Likes

Typically water softeners do not modify the water that goes to the kitchen cold water line, so potable water retains its natural taste and mineral content. Most reverse osmosis systems used for drinking water recommend using a mineralizing cartridge to add back a minimum amount of minerals to your drinking water.

2 Likes

Still. they should not have used the word microplastics. They should have sticked with nano plastic particles.

Why? A microplastic particle can be as small as 1 micrometer. It only falls under definition of a nanoplastic if it’s less than 1 micrometer.

because to me they are saying we are ingesting huge plastic pieces 5mm, to you it is les than 1 micrometer. Nano plastic particles on the other hand are small enough to even cross the cell membrane or whatever the hell it is called. I doubt a 5-millimeter plastic piece will cross the brain barrier anytime soon lol dude! I don’t like when they use hyperbole to make a point or serve an agenda.

Just as an example, I remember a while back a great article on how the global warming is happening, and how we’re contributing to it and how because of it CA this year (about ten years ago) was going to experience the driest and hottest season. I was fine up to this point and even saying to myself probably they have a point and then as if a 5000lbs rock was dropped on my head they just wrote :
It is believed that the season could be as hot and dry as the summer of 1830. Are you kidding me, so there was a much drier and hotter season in 1830 when California only had maybe 20000 inhabitants and the only transportation means was on back of a mule, and you want me to believe that I (people) are being the cause of the global warming now. Do you see my point? Or for example, when Al gore said that by year 2025 there will be one foot of water in lower Manhattan because of the snow melting in arctic, and when I went (to lower Manhattan) couple weeks ago to visit my girlfriend, the only wet thing I could find there was a certain body part of my girlfriend . :joy::joy::joy: Again, do you see my point? If you are going to make nonsensical and outrageous claims like these, you can’t blame people for not believing a word you say. Sorry my friend I’ll just say it, how I see it.

You do not like the reply.

Then write to;

Marja H. Lamoree

View in Scopus

Dept. of Environment and Health, Faculty of Science, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, De Boelelaan 1108, 1081 HZ Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Corresponding author.

marja.lamoree@vu.nl

The point of contact for the published paper post above titled;

“Discovery and quantification of plastic particle pollution in human blood”

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412022001258

I have owned two houses with water softeners and seen a couple more at friends’ houses. I have never seen a non-softened water line that goes to the kitchen cold water line. The only water line that remains unsoftened after water softener installation is the one that feeds our outdoor faucets and lawn sprinkler system. Also, our reverse osmosis system had no recommendation to use a mineralizing cartridge, and I did not see or run across any when I was researching reverse osmosis systems. Perhaps my experience is not normal, or normal just for my region.

4 Likes

From Tally Health, but the information seems to be supported by research:

Microplastics and your health

Microplastics can enter our body through inhalation, ingestion, or our skin and have been found in just about every organ as well as breast milk and placentas [4, 5, 6]. While we don’t know the full extent of microplastics’ impact on our health, early research has already shown several associated adverse effects:

Gut dysbiosis: Microplastics may change the balance between harmful and healthy bacteria, which alters the gut microbiome and can lead to abdominal pain, bloating, and inflammation [7, 8]. Microplastics are also vectors for the accumulation of heavy metals, which can lead to further gastrointestinal complaints, including nausea and vomiting [9].

Cardiovascular problems: While studies that reveal the impact that microplastics can have on heart health are limited, one recent study found that those with plaque in their carotid arteries who also had detectable levels of microplastics or nanoplastics (MNPs) in their bodies had a higher risk of heart attack, stroke, or death from any cause at the 34-month follow-up than those who did not have any detectable MNPs [10].

Respiratory issues: Since microplastics and nanoplastics can become lodged in the airways when inhaled, it’s not surprising that this is associated with shortness of breath, wheezing and even mitochondrial damage of respiratory cells [11, 4].

Hormonal disruption: Both microplastics and nanoplastics have been shown to have adverse effects on the endocrine gland, interfering with hormones and leading to oxidative stress, reproductive toxicity, and decreased sperm count. Microplastics also directly affect the thyroid, ovaries, and testes, which may impact fertility [12].

Immune dysfunction: While we don’t know exactly how microplastics affect our immune system, one study found that macrophages (a type of white blood cell) that engulfed microplastics didn’t function as well, which could mean that these tiny plastics could negatively impact how our immune system fights infection [13].

Cancer: It’s unclear how long microplastics linger in the body, but one recent study found that microplastics may get passed down from one cell to the next when they divide, which may also contribute to the spread of cancer [14].

The long-term effects of microplastics are still unknown, but studies on humans and animals have shown that microplastics can lead to DNA damage, inflammation, mitochondrial dysfunction, and gut dysbiosis—four hallmarks of aging—as well as cell death, oxidative stress, and the accumulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), which can lead to further cellular and DNA damage [15, 16, 17] and impact overall healthspan and longevity.

How to reduce microplastic exposure

The challenge with microplastics is that it’s nearly impossible to avoid them. Instead, let’s focus our attention on science-backed ways to reduce exposure:

🍛 Don’t microwave plastic: Microwaving plastic releases billions of microplastics and nanoplastics [18]. Even if the plastic container or bottle says it’s microwave-safe, this simply means that it won’t explode or melt when microwaved. However, it can still leach toxic chemicals into the air or your food. Replace plastic storage containers with glass or simply reheat food on a plate or in a bowl.

🍽️ Avoid single-use plastics: Everything from storage bags and water bottles to disposable utensils breaks down, producing secondary microplastics that can harm our environment and, in return, further impact our health by contaminating the air or our drinking water. You can reduce your dependency on single-use plastics by carrying a reusable water bottle, swapping paper for plastic bags, and bringing fabric bags to the grocery store.

🍟 Skip fast food: Phthalates and other toxic chemicals that leach out of microplastics were found in higher levels in pre-made and fast food compared to food cooked at home [19, 20]. This could be because workers wear vinyl gloves (which are made from various microplastics, including BPA) to prepare the food. Those who ate more ultra-processed foods were also more likely to have higher phthalate levels in their urine [21].

🔪 Swap plastic cutting boards for wood or stainless steel: Polypropylene and polyethylene-based cutting boards can also be major sources of microplastics in foods, exposing people to anywhere from 7-50 grams per year [22]. Replace plastic cutting boards with wood or stainless steel alternatives.

🧾 Say “no” to paper receipts: Almost 80% of paper receipts from large US retailers contain bisphenol S (BPS)—a chemical used in the production of microplastics—which has been shown to disrupt hormones and increase the risk of breast cancer [23]. BPS can enter the bloodstream by penetrating the skin [24]. Studies have also found that receipts contain anywhere from 250-1,000 times greater amounts of BPA than canned food [25]. While BPA levels in receipts have decreased slightly over the last few years [26], researchers report that BPA is often replaced with bisphenol S (BPS), which may also cause hormonal disruption and obesogenic effects [23]. Consider playing it safe and avoiding paper receipts altogether, or opt for a digital receipt when offered.

👕 Choose natural clothing materials: We release microplastics into the air whenever we wash or wear (or even toss out) textiles made from synthetic fibers (e.g. polyester). When possible, opt for more natural fibers like cotton. While natural materials will still produce some microplastics within their lint, the lint is too large to release into the air.

💨 Air dry clothes: While not always feasible or convenient, air drying clothes whenever possible can help reduce microplastic exposure both within the home and the environment. Studies have shown that dryers are significant contributors to environmental microplastics—even more so than our washing machines [27]. If it’s a nice day, consider hanging clothes out on the line to dry, or at the very least, let polyester and synthetic fibers dry naturally.

🏠 Vacuum regularly: Ever notice the twinkling dust left behind after fluffing a pillow or beating a couch cushion? These dust bunnies may also contain microplastics, which is why vacuuming regularly, especially if you have carpeting, can reduce the accumulation and spread of these particles.

Discovering the hidden effects of microplastics can be daunting, but knowledge is the key to empowerment, not fear. At Tally Health, we’re committed to providing you with evidence-based strategies to enhance your well-being. If you’re looking to further improve your lifestyle and environment to slow how you age, a Tally Health Membership can provide more personalized DNA methylation-driven insights and recommendations to help you live healthier, longer.

I Want to Age Differently

Citations

[1] Pletz, M. (2022). Ingested microplastics: Do humans eat one credit card per week? Journal of Hazardous Materials Letters, 3, 100071. Redirecting

[2] Napper, I. E., Davies, B. F., Clifford, H., Elvin, S., Koldewey, H. J., Mayewski, P. A., Miner, K. R., Potocki, M., Elmore, A. C., Gajurel, A. P., & Thompson, R. C. (2020). Reaching New Heights in Plastic Pollution—Preliminary Findings of Microplastics on Mount Everest. One Earth, 3(5), 621-630. Redirecting

[3] Khadka, N. S. (2022, June 8). Microplastics found in fresh Antarctic snow. BBC News. Retrieved from Microplastics found in fresh Antarctic snow

[4] Lin, S., Zhang, H., Wang, C., Su, L., Song, Y., Wu, P., Yang, Z., Wong, H., Cai, Z., & Zheng, C. (2022). Metabolomics Reveal Nanoplastic-Induced Mitochondrial Damage in Human Liver and Lung Cells. Environmental Science & Technology, 56(17), 12483-12493. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.2c03980

[5] Ragusa, A., Notarstefano, V., Svelato, A., Belloni, A., Gioacchini, G., Blondeel, C., Zucchelli, E., Luca, C. D., Gulotta, A., Carnevali, O., & Giorgini, E. (2022). Raman Microspectroscopy Detection and Characterisation of Microplastics in Human Breastmilk. Polymers, 14(13). Polymers | Free Full-Text | Raman Microspectroscopy Detection and Characterisation of Microplastics in Human Breastmilk

[6] Ragusa A, Svelato A, Santacroce C, Catalano P, Notarstefano V, Carnevali O, Papa F, Rongioletti MCA, Baiocco F, Draghi S, D’Amore E, Rinaldo D, Matta M, Giorgini E. Plasticenta: First evidence of microplastics in human placenta. Environ Int. 2021 Jan;146:106274. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2020.106274. Epub 2020 Dec 2. PMID: 33395930.

[7] Bouwmeester H, Hollman PC, Peters RJ. Potential Health Impact of Environmentally Released Micro- and Nanoplastics in the Human Food Production Chain: Experiences from Nanotoxicology. Environ Sci Technol. 2015 Aug 4;49(15):8932-47. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.5b01090. Epub 2015 Jul 15. PMID: 26130306.

[8] Jin Y, Lu L, Tu W, Luo T, Fu Z. Impacts of polystyrene microplastic on the gut barrier, microbiota and metabolism of mice. Sci Total Environ. 2019 Feb 1;649:308-317. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.08.353. Epub 2018 Aug 28. PMID: 30176444.

[9] Abbasi, S., Moore, F., & Keshavarzi, B. (2021). PET-microplastics as a vector for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in a simulated plant rhizosphere zone. Environmental Technology & Innovation, 21, 101370. Redirecting

[10] Marfella R, Prattichizzo F, Sardu C, Fulgenzi G, Graciotti L, Spadoni T, D’Onofrio N, Scisciola L, La Grotta R, Frigé C, Pellegrini V, Municinò M, Siniscalchi M, Spinetti F, Vigliotti G, Vecchione C, Carrizzo A, Accarino G, Squillante A, Spaziano G, Mirra D, Esposito R, Altieri S, Falco G, Fenti A, Galoppo S, Canzano S, Sasso FC, Matacchione G, Olivieri F, Ferraraccio F, Panarese I, Paolisso P, Barbato E, Lubritto C, Balestrieri ML, Mauro C, Caballero AE, Rajagopalan S, Ceriello A, D’Agostino B, Iovino P, Paolisso G. Microplastics and Nanoplastics in Atheromas and Cardiovascular Events. N Engl J Med. 2024 Mar 7;390(10):900-910. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2309822. PMID: 38446676.

[11] Wright SL, Kelly FJ. Plastic and Human Health: A Micro Issue? Environ Sci Technol. 2017 Jun 20;51(12):6634-6647. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.7b00423. Epub 2017 Jun 7. PMID: 28531345.

[12] Ullah S, Ahmad S, Guo X, Ullah S, Ullah S, Nabi G, Wanghe K. A review of the endocrine disrupting effects of micro and nano plastic and their associated chemicals in mammals. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2023 Jan 16;13:1084236. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2022.1084236. PMID: 36726457; PMCID: PMC9885170.

[13] Collin-Faure, V., Vitipon, M., Torres, A., Tanyeres, O., Dalzon, B., & Rabilloud, T. (2023). The internal dose makes the poison: Higher internalization of polystyrene particles induce increased perturbation of macrophages. Frontiers in Immunology, 14. https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2023.1092743

[14] Brynzak-Schreiber, E., Schögl, E., Bapp, C., Cseh, K., Kopatz, V., Jakupec, M. A., Weber, A., Lange, T., Toca-Herrera, J. L., Del Favero, G., Wadsak, W., Kenner, L., & Pichler, V. (2024). Microplastics role in cell migration and distribution during cancer cell division. Chemosphere, 353, 141463. Redirecting

[15] Huang, R., & [Additional Authors]. (2022). The geno-toxicological impacts of microplastic (MP) exposure on health: mechanistic pathways and research trends from a Chinese perspective. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. Retrieved from The geno-toxicological impacts of microplastic (MP) exposure on health: mechanistic pathways and research trends from a Chinese perspective - Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts (RSC Publishing) DOI:10.1039/D2EM00301E

[16] Dutchen, S. (2023). Microplastics Everywhere. Harvard Medical School. Retrieved from Microplastics Everywhere | Harvard Medicine Magazine

[17] Lee, S. E., Yi, Y., Moon, S., Yoon, H., & Park, Y. S. (2022). Impact of Micro- and Nanoplastics on Mitochondria. Metabolites, 12(10). Metabolites | Free Full-Text | Impact of Micro- and Nanoplastics on Mitochondria

[18] Hussain, K. A., Romanova, S., Okur, I., Zhang, D., Kuebler, J., Huang, X., Wang, B., Fernandez-Ballester, L., Lu, Y., Schubert, M., & Li, Y. (2023). Assessing the Release of Microplastics and Nanoplastics from Plastic Containers and Reusable Food Pouches: Implications for Human Health. Environmental Science & Technology. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.3c01942

[19] Varshavsky, J. R., Morello-Frosch, R., Woodruff, T. J., & Zota, A. R. (2018). Dietary sources of cumulative phthalates exposure among the U.S. General population in NHANES 2005–2014. Environment International, 115, 417-429. Redirecting

[20] Edwards, L., McCray, N. L., VanNoy, B. N., Yau, A., Geller, R. J., Adamkiewicz, G., & Zota, A. R. (2022). Phthalate and novel plasticizer concentrations in food items from U.S. Fast food chains: A preliminary analysis. Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology, 32(3), 366-373. Phthalate and novel plasticizer concentrations in food items from U.S. fast food chains: a preliminary analysis | Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology

[21] Buckley, J. P., Kim, H., Wong, E., & Rebholz, C. M. (2019). Ultra-processed food consumption and exposure to phthalates and bisphenols in the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2013–2014. Environment International, 131, 105057. Redirecting

[22] Yadav H, Khan MRH, Quadir M, Rusch KA, Mondal PP, Orr M, Xu EG, Iskander SM. Cutting Boards: An Overlooked Source of Microplastics in Human Food? Environ Sci Technol. 2023 Jun 6;57(22):8225-8235. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.3c00924. Epub 2023 May 23. PMID: 37220346.

[23] Thoene, M., Dzika, E., Gonkowski, S., & Wojtkiewicz, J. (2020). Bisphenol S in Food Causes Hormonal and Obesogenic Effects Comparable to or Worse than Bisphenol A: A Literature Review. Nutrients, 12(2). Nutrients | Free Full-Text | Bisphenol S in Food Causes Hormonal and Obesogenic Effects Comparable to or Worse than Bisphenol A: A Literature Review

[24] Reale E, Vernez D, Hopf NB. Skin Absorption of Bisphenol A and Its Alternatives in Thermal Paper. Ann Work Expo Health. 2021 Mar 3;65(2):206-218. doi: 10.1093/annweh/wxaa095. PMID: 33313651.

[25] Schwartz, A. W., & Landrigan, P. J. (2012). Bisphenol A in Thermal Paper Receipts: An Opportunity for Evidence-Based Prevention. Environmental Health Perspectives, 120(1), a14. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1104004

[26] The Ecology Center. (2023). Receipt Deceit 2023 Report Update. Retrieved from https://www.ecocenter.org/our-work/healthy-stuff-lab/receipt-deceit-2023-report-update

[27] Tao, D., Zhang, K., Xu, S., Lin, H., Liu, Y., Kang, J., Yim, T., Giesy, J. P., & Leung, K. M. Y. (2022). Microfibers Released into the Air from a Household Tumble Dryer. Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 9(2), 120-126. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.estlett.1c00911

4 Likes

Is that a picture of a woman riding a plastic surfboard?

2 Likes

I thought she was laying on the beach, but I’ve never seen a bathing suit made from natural fiber.

It’s interesting that many recommendations focus on reducing inhaled microplastic. I wonder how the inhaled amount compares to the amount we get by eating/drinking. I’t d be surprising if we breathed in a significant percentage.

1 Like

Inhaled MPs are the least of my concerns bc they’re still a small fraction of all air pollution and even then, PM2.5 of inhaled MPs is well below 10. Which still has health effects but isn’t likely to decrease lifespan by more than a year

Btw PM2.5 masks are full of MPs. By wearing one, you’re guaranteeing that you inhale MPs, but the reduction in outdoor pollution is still usually greater

2 Likes

I assume silicon-based bottles for water and such may also release microplastics?

What about plastic cloth hangers? In summer it may get hot inside the dresser. Which may trigger a release of microplastics onto the clothes and possibly on the air. I switched to wooden ones for this reason.

And another one: plastic bags to freeze food. Much is said about warming plastic up but what about freezing e.g. chicken in these plastic bags? Maybe using aluminum foil would be better?

1 Like

I’m hoping silicone is safe since it’s not made of plastic but rather from sand.

There’s so much plastic in my life! :astonished:. It’s overwhelming to think of how to do things differently, especially food storage. Even my organic kale comes in a plastic bin!

Ah… this is a common mistake… I think you’re mixing up silicon (as in Silicon Valley / silicon wafers for microcircuits) and Silicone (as in Carol Doda fame)… its the wafers that come from sand, not the cooking, breast implants, etc. type of silicone.

3 Likes

That’s what I get for relying on the experimental “Google AI” search :roll_eyes:

As if I needed another reason for panic – check out my Natesto nasal testosterone applicator.

It’s made of plastic, and I’m supposed to apply it into each nostril 3 times daily. Each time it’s applied, I am supposed to physically wipe the plastic applicator against the inside of my nose as I withdraw it. So if there are micro and/or nanoplastics being delivered by this plastic container and applicator, not only are they getting into my skin but potentially are being carried directly into my BRAIN via the unique olfactory epithelial pathway. :scream:

1 Like
2 Likes

New video at Physionics on this very topic: Plastic found in our Arteries, but it’s Not all Bad News

2 Likes

“Overall, exposure to environmental carcinogens decreased the lifespan emotional happiness by 0.0064 years for radon, 0.0026 years for arsenic, and 0.00086 years for fine particulate matter in the air, owing to their mortality. The decrease in emotional happiness was even more pronounced for psychological distress, which resulted in an LHpLE of 0.97 years.”

So should this be interpreted as the “freaking out” (psychological distress) part is perhaps far more damaging to happiness than the actual harm from the pollutants themselves? Or is it rather that the pollutants cause psych distress via physical effects on the brain, which in turn significantly decreased emotional happiness?

1 Like