The Case for Starting Rapamycin Earlier in Life (e.g. late 20s) vs middle age (e.g. 50s)

I think mitochondria are highly important for aging for various reasons. I don’t have a strong view on their role in protein production with aging since I haven’t looked into that a lot specifically.

The fact that you’re bending your previous statements into pretzels says a lot. Just admit you misspoke. It’s not the end of the world.

I don’t like your rude attitude here. Sure, it looks like I didn’t explain what I meant in a manner that you understood, but I’m not bending anything here. I meant what I said and I stand by my statements. At the same time I remain open to people trying to convince me otherwise with good logic or studies.

4 Likes

Remember everyone, please go easy on the people and hard on the science.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m in my mid-20s and started Rapamycin last week. I took 3mg last week and 6mg this week, haven’t noticed anything subjective, but did record a new peak HRV (109ms) and a new low waist circumference this week, but that could be other medications I started :woman_shrugging:.

5 Likes

Good time to start! I’m 28 and have been taking rapamycin for a year now. No side effects yet. what other medications/supplements do you take?

1 Like

The longest lifespans achieved in studies so far are when rapamycin is started in earlier adulthood. How in Gods name can someone publish this comment when its only been maybe five years since Rapamycin has become know as a longevity remedy. If someone in their 20s started taking it 10 years ago they would be in their 30s today. Were they supposed to die earlier if they didn’t take it. Im 76 and I take it but the reason I take it is to help me live longer and stay healthy for a longer perior without being hit with other sicknesses that older people my age often have. Hopefully it does end up helping to extend my life but to say younger people taking it have proof to be living longer. Don’t turn it into some form of fountain of youth pill. If it were then why is it still so hard to get your doctor to prescribe it? Most here I read are buying from foreign countries. Sure drug companies want us to get sick so they can sell us their poison pills like Covid vaccines. When I was in my 20s I didn’t take anything and I felt damn good so what good would Rapamycin have done for me then other then burn a hole in my wallet.

1 Like

Because longevity is not the focus of our current healthcare system.

Sure drug companies want us to get sick so they can sell us their poison pills like Covid vaccines.

Still waiting for those billions of deaths you antivaxxers promised us were to occur in 2022. Even Trump and Putin, the guys the conspiracy community considers their saviors, got vaccinated.

Don’t turn it into some form of fountain of youth pill.

Some of us just want to extent our lives and rapamycin is another tool in our toolset.

5 Likes

The first good mouse longevity studies with rapamycin were back in 2009 (and early 2000s for other lower level model organisms), so its been about 20 years. And rapamycin has been used in cancer and organ transplant patients for over 20 years, so its a very well-known drug (especially compared to any new drug that may come along any year now that might be better than rapamycin).

Anyway, we try to stick the the science here on this site, (and avoid political discussions, which Covid seems to spur on much to my dismay).

People are adults here, they can review all the data and personal reports here and make their own informed decisions based on their own interests and risk/reward profile. We don’t tell people what to do here, this is a place to share our experiences and interests around longevity.

3 Likes

Im well aware of the use of Rapamycin as an anti rejection medication for transplants. But thats also in much higher doses. Don’t recall anything back then about it being used as an Life extension drug. Was only using Covid as an example. Yet we have daily dozens of Drug commercials all with many side effects that would want me to avoid most of them unless I really needed the treatment. Fresh air works best for me. Let me know when Rapamycin becomes a medication that Drug companies start to advertise. I doubt that will be anytime soon. Drug companies want to treat illness not healthy folks.

Sadly, because rapamycin has lost all patent protection and is now a cheap generic drug there are unlikely to be any more clinical studies done with it, and longevity is a harder thing to test for in humans.

4 Likes