"Red Yeast Rice for Hypercholesterolemia"

Still can’t understand why anyone would take this. Risks clearly outweigh benefit.

4 Likes

“Supplements = natural = good”
“Medication = Big Pharma = unnatural = bad”

3 Likes

Let me see, supplement or FDA approved medication?

In March 2024, five people died and over 100 were hospitalized after taking red yeast rice supplements made by Kobayashi Pharmaceutical. The supplements, called “Beni Koji Choleste Help”, were meant to lower cholesterol. The supplements contained beni koji, a red mold used as a food coloring. The exact cause of death is unknown, but the health ministry said that beni koji may be the cause.

2 Likes

Its method of action is that of a statin.
Having said that, it is the least effective statin available.
Being natural means nothing to me.

3 Likes

It’s Lovastatin.

I’ll never get over how many people here treat “natural” like it was some kind of swear word. How bout “supernatural”? Or is that “superbad” too? Probably all scared of flowers, too…like it was some alien life form.
***“If you’re going to San Francisco, Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.”
Hope that doesn’t annoy @RapAdmin , sure they all say “Silicon Valley” now.
Or, as us natural folk like to say “the uncanny valley” eliciting eerie feelings in viewers.

3,000 people die each year taking aspirin

for all practical purposes “natural” is just a marketing term that companies use to appeal to people who have positive connotations around “nature” (and yes, most people probably do). Its a marketing strategy, nothing more (in my view).

Supplements or pharmaceuticals… they are all just chemicals. Some go through more rigorous testing and quality control than others.

6 Likes

Big Pharma gotta sell to the hippie crowd somehow, especially astrology or tarot girls. Yes, big pharma is in the supplement industry too.

Trust in the universe to pick the right supplements, just like you pick stocks.

Some investors may ask their brokers for trading advice. Young people are consulting the stars and sky.

Stefaniya Nova, who goes by @blonderichwitch on TikTok, is a 25-year-old living in New York City using astrology, tarot, and “intuition” to guide her day trading.

“After scanning the market from 8:30 a.m. till 9 a.m. and picking the stock I’ll be trading that day—today it was Amazon—I do a single card pull to confirm my decision or get guidance,” she says in one video. “Today I pulled the Ace of Cups, which represents abundance; this gave me the needed assurance to trust in my strategy.”

It’s funny because I feel the magic.

I just have to keep myself grounded.

1 Like

I can’t tell from most of these post whether you’re for or against Red yeast rice. lol.

I just don’t understand given the decision between a known quantity of fairly pure statin, or an unknown quantity of possibly contaminated statin, why someone picks the latter?

That citrinin sound especially nasty.

3 Likes

Have you ever purchased RYR?

Like purchasing any other compound you preformed due diligence°.

Attached is a photo of part of label of one of the products I purchase and use.

Review the label.

71ExjULPdRL.AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp

° Due diligence is a process or effort to collect and analyze information before making a decision.

1 Like

An updated version of the above paper was published in;

Journal of the American College of Cardiology

Volume 77, Issue 5, 9 February 2021, Pages 620-628

Titled;

Red Yeast Rice for Hypercholesterolemia - JACC Focus Seminar

Authors

Arrigo F G Cicero ¹ is the Point of Contact for this paper, email
arrigo.cicero@unibo.it.

Federica Fogacci ²

Alberto Zambon ³

Affiliations

• 1 Department of Medicine and Surgery Sciences, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
    email address: arrigo.cicero@unibo.it.

• 2 Department of Medicine and Surgery Sciences, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy.

• 3 Department of Medicine-DIMED, University of Padua, Padua, Italy.

Attached is a PDF copy.

Red Yeast Rice for Hypercholesterolemia - JACC Focus Seminar.pdf (475.2 KB)

From the paper;

1 Like

The substance in red yeast rice that lowers cholesterol is an FDA-regulated substance. Therefore all red yeast rice produced or sold in the USA, including NOW (pictured above) need to remove the statin-related substance in order to be legally sold in the US.

Any red yeast rice produced or sold in the USA is either:

1. Impotent as the beneficial statin-like chemical has been removed.
    OR
  2. Being illegally sold.

Neither sounds like something I would trust to use on myself.

Red yeast rice products that have considerable amounts of monacolin K may effectively lower blood cholesterol levels, blood glucose levels, and blood pressure. They may also reduce the risk of heart problems and death in people with metabolic syndrome. (Metabolic syndrome, also called insulin resistance syndrome, is a group of conditions that raise the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.) But, because of the levels of monacolin K, these products are considered by the FDA to be unapproved new drugs and are not sold legally in the United States.

Just take a statin if you want a statin.

3 Likes

Call the police…DEA and ATF{making wine]

Making your own Red Yeast Rice and RYR wine…

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the case, it’s only if you market the amount of lovastatin or add it in.

If someone doesn’t want to take any prescription drugs beberbine can be quite good but dirty, there’s also a bunch of other supplements to lower LDL cholesterol.

My apoB was around 55 mg/dl just using 500 mg berberine, eating canola oil, and sometimes some oyster mushrooms (which have lovastatin). Could maybe combine with garlic and other supplements, even RYR, for an ultimate supplement combo to lower cholesterol. Could use cold-pressed canola oil and reduce saturated fat as much as possible. It will work like magic.

1 Like

The label doesn’t say anything about statin content?

1 Like

The label was to address your citrinin comment.

FWIW “statin content” of RYR is well known in the biological/medical field.

Example review the paper posted above;

Titled;

Red Yeast Rice for Hypercholesterolemia - JACC Focus Seminar

Paper discuss “statin content” per mg of RYR

Add this at 11:23am…

Here a quick search!

“A typical daily dose of 1200–2400 mg of red yeast rice (RYR) supplements is thought to contain around 5–10 mg of lovastatin”

Quick we have Lobby to get a US Presidential Executive Order to Prohibiting the Sale of Peking Duck.

1 Like

Then why not just take a regulated statin in the first place?

3 Likes

Paraphrasing from the end of a Dr Paul Mason / presentation.

Dr Akira Endō {the father of statins]

In 2004 he{Akira] was found to have elevated LDL levels. His doctor not knowing who he was recommended he take a statin.

Akira declined, now when questioned by journalist Peter Landers as to why, Akira replied cryptically with a Japanese proverb; “The Indigo Dyer wearers white trousers.”

Publicly acknowledges the toxic and corrosive impact of the chemicals used in the indigo dyeing process, historical has included formaldehyde and cyanide.

Only he{Akira] can know whether he believes statins can be as dangerous.

1 Like