Recommendations for young people (under 25-30)

Great resource, thank you!

2 Likes

In young ppl, caloric restriction is arguably more important than exercise [1]. Exercise by itself encourages anabolic hyptertrophy and activation of the mTor/IGF-1 axis, which constitutes the opposite mechanism underlying the longevity benefits of validated interventions like rapamycin. In addition, exercise in general increases oxidative stress and after a particular point it has further negative effects (i.e overtraining). 7h/week is already far above the minimum recommended 2.5h/week.

Of course, exercise will always be incomparably better than being sedentary. Also, consider the option of combining caloric and protein restriction, with moderate exercise; it’s harder, but it’s the regimen I’m personally following. Regardless whether you choose to do a form of dietary restriction (but moreso if you do!), I would suggest you begin tracking your dietary micronutrients meticulously.

[1] Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews

2 Likes

How relevant is Rapamycin’s mTOR inhibition in the brain for an average longevity dosage, eg. 5 mg in humans?

1 Like

Probably minimal… See Joan mannick’s comments in the first video at this link. She says they have seen minimal penetration of the blood brain barrier with rapamycin…

See Targeting Healthy Longevity 2024: Novel Interventions for Preempting Neurodegeneration - #2 by RapAdmin

1 Like

Will do - Asking because 21 year old @ weekly 5 mg. Thoughts on this generally?

I personally would wait until at least age 25.

1 Like

Why? Because of the brain development inhibition that is probably minimal? Does it not outweigh the likely benefits?

With all these drugs identified as potential longevity drugs, there are risks and rewards. Some risks we know of (like mouth sores) but others we don’t know about, or may not know about, just because they have not been tested longer term in healthy populations.

And of course there is uncertainty about the benefits of taking rapamycin (for healthy humans)… the recent marmoset data is the best data we have right now in terms of translation to humans (likely, but the marmosets are taking the drug at very high doses… which humans can’t do because of immune suppression and infection risks)… so our current dose is much lower than that which the marmosets are taking. So, taking rapamycin between age 21 and 25 “might” give you an extra 1% or so lifespan improvement, at some unknown risk. For me - its not worth the risk, since the benefit at that age seems pretty minimal. And the “opportunity cost” of waiting is quite low - new drugs and approaches will likely come out that you can leverage later. You can always start rapamycin a little later… in four or five years we’ll know a lot more from people on this forum, and hopefully from other research.

7 Likes

I really would not take it that frequently. Once every 6 months may be worthwhile.

1 Like

The main things you should do (in no particular order) are:

• no smoking
  • limit drinking (or don’t drink at all)
  • avoid drugs (recreational AND things like paracetamol and ibuprofen that you should avoid taking unnecesarily)
  • eat a diet with a variety of different vegetables and fruits
  • exercise
  • don’t let yourself get too fat, or too thin (body composition matters)
  • wear sunscreen
  • annual blood tests; LFTs, lipids, blood sugar A1C (and act on them if they go askew)
  • find a good doctor, and keep seeing them regularly, even for minor things
  • keep an eye on your blood pressure (you can do this at home)
  • monitor your fitness / heart rate (get a smartwatch or similar - bonus points for getting one with continuous afib detection)
  • if you live in a sunny country, especially if you’re in the southern hemisphere, get an annual skin cancer check as you get older
  • do bowel cancer screening from about 40 years of age
  • learn to cope with stress (you won’t always be ble to avoid it, so learn how to deal with it in a healthy way)
  • cultivate good relationships with your family, friends, workmates, and romantic partners
  • enjoy life, think positive and don’t be too disapointed if and when everything goes to shit (resillience is key)

These go for any age.

9 Likes

I would consider this post Longevity 101. All of the things you mentioned are spot on and should be the foundation of anyone pursuing longevity.

Excellent. I’d add:

• avoid pollution and plastics
  • avoid serious injuries (car accidents, concussions, etc)
  • build your team / find your people / take care of each other
  • get a dog (it will love you)
  • don’t waste time
  • have goals. It’s okay to change your goals but spent time with a purpose
  • invest in experiences instead of things. “The things you own will end up owning you”
5 Likes

That’s a fight club quote :joy:
My preferred one is :" hey even the Mona Liza is falling apart "

1 Like