Rapamycin starting to go mainstream. Article today in Wall Street Journal

I can tell you that for my parents in the USA, getting a prescription for Acarbose is easy as it is a beneficial drug with very few side effects.

Getting Rapamycin is very difficult as the side effect profile will prevent many doctors from prescribing it for off-label purposes.

2 Likes

I’ll push hard for the acrbose then!

Rapamycin, I’m still investigating more so due to my own health problems. I read a lot, everywhere. I am not as well read as many here though. This site is the goto for positive vibes, but I have health issues.

I have taken supplements for 1/2 of my 63 years. I was first a hockey jock, dabbled in a dozen martial arts, weight-lifted, bicycle raced, street raced motorcycles, and I worked in construction from 14 to 26. I’m not an olympian, but there were years that I was a decent scrub athlete.

At the tail end of 2017 I felt sluggish at work and went home. The following day I went to CVS to see a nurse practitioner and she was booked solid but told me my attributes fit a heart attack, not the flu or pneumonia. Hospital ER dept verified I had a mild heart attack. Had open heart surgery for a new valve and 3-way bypass. Then 2yrs later they said my A1C put me in the diabetic range.

In 2022 I lost 35lbs, but still weigh 200lbs. I am very cautious about what I eat. No sugars, very little carbs. Plan to lose another 35lbs in 2023. This is one of my sticking points. Do not want to make A1C worse.

It is also an immunosuppressant, and I had MRSA once. That is my 2nd sticking point. Don’t want to deal with immune issues.

So, I’ll keep reading for now. I am in the AgelessRx program for rapamycin and it is there for me if I want it. I’m just “paused,” approved and ready to start.

Thanks for the chat.

4 Likes

Yes, your response is the exact response most patients can expect from their doctor. It is reasonable and to be expected. You have perfectly stated what doctors will tell their patients. I expect you are in the medical community to know so correctly how what I stated is true and to know all the reasons why it is true.

As I mentioned I am in sympathy with the doctors (and the poor patients like me). If I were a doctor I would not be prescribing this to my patients either out of fear of law suits, false expectations and being labeled a quack, not to mention the expense. How would insurance companies react when I prescribe rapamycin to my patients as a preventative measure? This is part of what is wrong with the medical system today.

Overall I would say the Rapamycin article in this mainstream newspaper is a positive development as it may put pressure on for more research and possibly human trials, but I’m not holding my breath.

You say:

There’s no research data showing Rapa extends life.

please do add “in humans” or people in this forum will jump all over you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Did you read the comments?

Agree. There is certainly a movement towards preventative medical care, but right now it looks like it will only be for those that can pay out of pocket.

3 Likes

GoTo AgelessRx and get in their rapamycin program if you are set in your mind to take it. Their program starts at $95/month. It is a fantastic program, I am in it, but I paused taking it until I can read more about it.

2 Likes

Now the Washington Post with a rapamycin story.

2 Likes

Now the Epoch Times:

Covers the bases pretty well.

4 Likes

Here is the article without any paywall: A Compound Discovered on Easter Island Extends Life, Combats Alzheimer’s

A reasonably good article. Lots of interesting comments posted after the article on the same page.

5 Likes

Less is more: shorter rapamycin treatment has the same anti-aging effect.

In summary, a short course of rapamycin in early adulthood appears to activate rapamycin memory. It prolongs the lifespan of fruit flies, induces prolonged and increased autophagy, and reduces gut dysplastic changes while promoting regeneration.

4 Likes

I’m not very confident that transient dosing / short dosing period will translate from flies to mammals. In the mammal studies the higher the dose (so far tested) the longer the lifespan increase (other than one female mouse test - which was 128 ppm, an extremely high dose, and the point at which lifespan was no longer increased).

3 Likes

I think you need continual dosing in order to reap the benefits of Rapamycin induced autophagy as well as it’s senomorphic properties. Both of those effects are money in the bank IMHO and I would like them to be continually active during my life.

2 Likes

Well hell, most of us missed that boat but I’m sure as hell I wouldn’t give rapamycin to my teenage sons… because I want them to have a chance to reproduce one day

4 Likes