Plasmapheresis Startup Looking for Clinical Trial Participants SF Bay Area

Dr. Kiprov’s latest lecture and the preliminary results of the plasmapheresis clinical trial for aging, which was presented at the A4M Longevity Fest last week in Las Vegas.

I was in group A or B (they haven’t told me which one).

2 Likes

It looks like it worked for other people. Maybe you’re too healthy.

I doubt it… as they say, there is no such thing as “healthy aging” :slight_smile:

Perhaps the added benefit over rapamycin is minimal, or perhaps my biological age improved but didn’t change how I feel. I’ll be doing some new bloodwork soon and see how my Levine Phenotypic measure is doing… and report back.

4 Likes

How was Dr Kiprov in person? In his presentation he seems like he is struggling and having some brain aging issues. I would think he would be getting the treatment often but I heard somewhere he doesnt do the TPE treatment himself, which is confusing.

I can’t say I’ve spent a lot of time talking with Dr. Kiprov. As a new patient in the clinical trial Stella, who was the main clinical trial person I interacted with, introduced me one day to Dr. Kirprov when we was in getting the treatments. I spent most of my time with Stella who did the record keeping and functional testing, then with the RNs who actually administer the plasmapheresis. There is at least one other doctor who I think oversees the clinic and I spoke with him for quite a while asking questions about the details of the trial and plasmapheresis more generally. The only other time I spoke with Dobri Kiprov was when I ran into him at the Buck Institute in December of this year and I introduced myself again and asked about when the result would be available.

I have no idea about his own use TPE or other issues. He is an older guy (I think he’s about 74 years old) and doesn’t look like he follows any sort of rigorous exercise regimen, so I suspect he could benefit from a Peter Attia like longevity program.

I talked with dr Kiprov prior to and during a couple of my treatments at his clinic. He told me he was doing TPE every two months. I didn’t find him to be brain-aged, but no spring chicken either.

2 Likes

I take numerous of the well known supplements that people will write or talk about giving them very noticeable positive effects. I generally feel nothing different.

My feeling on this experience is that unless you suffer from a deficiency or have any sort of metabolic imbalance or dysfunction you wont feel much of an improvement.

I would guess that your plasmapheresis experience is uneventful because you are very healthy.

Nor does Dr. Kiprov (or COnboy lab) compare TPE to simple and Free plasma donation where it is possible to overboard 25% of your plasma. Some centers allow twice a week and regular blood banks 1x/month (in US). Doesn’t cost thousand per TPE that MDs which I suspect plays a role. Would have been easy enough to add 2 or three people to their 2022 study to make a stab at a dose resonse.

A recent trial looked at the effects of high frequency and very high frequency plasma donations in healthy adults. They didn’t look in depth at ageing biomarkers unfortunately, only at haematological changes and changs in physical performance. Apart from a significant drop in ferritin and immunoglobulin levels (the former is kinda new, the latter was well known and expected), no other observations were made.

2 Likes

My ferritin drops after a sequence of plasma donations but it is on low side to begin with, But it only takes modest Fe supplementation for a few days after each donation to keep it stable. My albumin also takes a modest dip but recovers in 3 to 4 day, Will be testing some of the biomarkers mention in the 2022 Conboy paper (DNA damage Cd8+ etc.)