Niacin Revisited - Helpful or Harmful in Cardiac Health?

Wow, I hope it stays low for you! My Lp(a) has actually increased while being on Repatha+Bempedoic acid+ezetimibe (LDL is a nice low 33 mg/dl), but I suspect there is lab error involved with the Lp(a) because it makes NO sense at all. I just now sent an email to my PCP for a new lab order so I can go to Quest or LabCorp.

1 Like

Davin8r. Hope your Lp (a) is different in re-do Labs. Interesting how your Lpa went up on all three of those meds. Please update when you do the repeat labs.

1 Like

Is it possible that different labs were reporting different units? lp(a) is sometimes reported in nMol/L and sometimes mg/dl. to convert nMol/L to mg/dl you multiply by 0.4 and 130 x 0.4 is 52 …

1 Like

The lab did change units at one point, but that was years ago. In the laat couple of years, units have been constant (nmol/L), but values have been all over the place. I posted details and charts with my results over the past 10 years on a different thread a couple of months ago.

They screwed up the units in the PDF download of the results history. They changed to nmol/L back in Dec 2021 but still have the numbers listed as mg/dL. I reported this to the lab 2 months ago, but they didn’t fix it.:roll_eyes:

All my labs were done my labcorp and the same units are always used…nmol/L.

1 Like

One of / the top Lp(a) doc in the world is answering questions via twitter tomorrow

https://twitter.com/lpa_doc/status/1781362823689535524?s=46&t=zJMJ1xVdRJYEDYz-DHipTw

2 Likes

I dont see any evidence for your bold claim sorry. Instead it seems 1-MNA is just a metabolite of NNMT.

NNMT methylate niacinamide that become 1 MNA : Complex roles of nicotinamide N-methyltransferase in cancer progression | Cell Death & Disease

So where do you take your claims appart the commercial website ?

Hi Tom
Thank you for your question. 1MNA is actually a beneficial metabolite of NNMT. It is self regulatory… As such, most (not all) of its benefits come from its ability to turn off NNMT. NNMT is upregulated in bad cells such as senescent cells and cancer cells and high NNMT is linked to cardiometabolic disorders, inflammation and cancer and the search for NNMT inhibitors is ongoing. By giving 1MNA we can block overexpression of NNMT. WHen give NAD or its precursors you turn on NNMT and hence feed cancer cells and other damaged cells Overexpression of NNMT leads to SAM depletion, and decreased DNA and histone methylation resulting in extensive gene expression changes. 1MNA is trying to keep things in balance and regulate the NNMT overexpression.
DOes that make sense?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359644621002427
Dr Yurth

2 Likes

Hi,

issue is that your claim 'By giving 1MNA we can block overexpression of NNMT." I find absolutely nothing to back up your claim…

Actually its even the opposite ! 1MNA is the last step before being broken down into 2PY and 4PY… So you will even increase thoses 2 others metabolites much more than with niacin :

So please could we stop bs ? :slight_smile:

Just going by your picture Trigonelline would actually be safe? Clover sprouts here I come:

1 Like

1-MNA

Wasn’t going to mention this, but what the heck…As I was researching 1-MNA, I came across this paper:

It concluded that use of 1-MNA did improve exercise tolerance and fatigue, post covid. Since being 71 is kind of like having long covid, exercise capacity-wise, I figured I’d order a bottle and see what happens.

Results: 1) 1-MNA seems to have knocked a handful of minutes off my weekend hike times. 2) I currently don’t lift weights, so can’t weigh in as to any impact in tha regard, but I do regular pushups. It seems that I can do each of three sets 10-20% faster. This is followed by jumping jacks. Usually I am a bit out of breath after the third push-up set, but post-1-MNA, not so. No problem to immediately launch into the jumping jacks.

It’s possible these effects are somewhat confounded by geranylgeraniol (GG) which I started trying a few days prior to starting 1-MNA. I thought GG might be causing me sleep problems, so I stopped it for a while. WIth only 1-MNA in my system, it seemed that the benefits described above persisted. I’m taking both again now. I think 1-MNA is providing most or all of the benefits I described. But will do more experimentaton.

3 Likes

Lens5742: can you share the brand you buy of 1-MNA and a link if possible?

There’s only one source for it in the US: Endotelio 1-MNA – OHP Health by Longevity Labs Inc. Expensive, but worth it to me.

In the bullet point list of its effects, I don’t recall the last one about endurance exercise being there before I purchased. I did write to them about my experience, so I think they added after that. Hopefully they have more than my anecdotal report backing it up.

If you do decide to try it, please report back on your experience. Could just be placebo effect, or attributable to some deficiency particular to me.

2 Likes

Any issues with taking 1-MNA with Rapamycin? If not, I plan on trying this and will update you.

1 Like

I haven’t a cliue. I am taking rapa.

Personal observation - 1-MNA does seem to increase bruising, so if you’re taking an anti-coagulant, something to be aware of

2 Likes