Lower back pain: causes, treatment and prevention

His theory and method are rooted in psychoanalysis I believe.

Me too. I had to overcome my innate skepticism, but after two weeks of physical therapy I am nearly free of pain. When I first injured the back and could barely walk or sit, I had x-rays, MRIs, injections, and prednisone, which at least enabled me to function. But some level of nerve and muscle pain remained. The PT eliminated all of that. Remarkable.

P.S. Your post motivated me to make my first appointment.

3 Likes

The attia video is brilliant. Really interested in the comment that early hip replacements are mainly in men who overdid the deadlifts and women who have done 30 years of yoga.

3 Likes

The conversation explains at great length why the psychosomatic argument is mistaken. I’m surprised to see so many people bring it up here without actually listening to the episode.

1 Like

@MoonLadder

Seems to me that an MRI provides empirical evidence, even if the images are sometimes misinterpreted.

1 Like

I listened to the podcast, and they discussed the distinction between acute pain, which arises from injury, and chronic pain, which results from repeated injury and the body’s anticipation of pain. This anticipation contributes to the development of chronic pain.

1 Like

For anyone wanting to see stuart mcgill’s “Big 3” exercise recommendations for lower back pain. I’ve decided to do these prophylactically:

Research has shown that the most common cause of years lived with disability (YLD) is low back pain.”

1 Like

Stuart McGill’s company video channel, and top 3 core exercises:

5 Likes

I have never had back pain in my entire life. Ever. I’ve given birth to 11 babies, 8 pregnancies, all healthy and I’m very active in way of exercise, walking etc. I’m now 63 years old and I’ve had my first MRI for lower back pain I’ve had for the last few months that is so damn painful. Doc says degeneration. Multilevel lumbar degeneration disc disease and facet spondylosis. Grade 1 anterolisthesis of L3 on L4. Moderate central canal stenosis at L3-L4, Mild central canal stenosis at L4-L5. Neural foraminal narrowings detailed level by level. It’s so freaking painful and sciatica is a biotch on my right leg. What can help doctors??? Surgery or Rapa? I don’t really want surgery. My bike helps sometimes but seems to cause muscle spasms. Are there more videos I can learn from to make myself feel better? Thanks much.

Hi Susan we seem to have the same back! Thought I’d share where I am in the journey. I found radio ablation therapy to virtually eliminate one of my three pain locations. Steroid injections have been moderately successful for one other area. The third - the sciatica from pressure on the spinal nerve, has not improved with PT, an orthopedist, upping my core work, or anything else. I tried 100 mg. Gabapentin for pain three days this week but had so much brain fog the next day I’m stopping that. I’m going to try acupuncture next. More likely to help, in my opinion, is a paid in person consultation I have scheduled with one of Dr. McGill’s trained practitioners in a few weeks. I expect him to give me targeted exercises, tell me what I can and can’t do in Pilates, etc., and give me ways of moving my body less likely to cause a flare up. Also, I am consulting with a surgeon on minimally invasive surgery to remove the arthritic spurs and the synovial cyst pressing up against the nerve. I’m going to try very hard to never go down the spinal fusion route.

2 Likes