Keto diet as method to prevent/slow cancer

Thanks for this, @Sabrina1980 — much appreciated.

Just to make sure there is no animosity in the conversation: I don’t know what the answer to “what treatment for cancer is beat”. And I DEFINITELY don’t know the answer to “what treatment for longevity is best”. I hoped to share the articles at the beginning of this thread (which was unfortunately overrun by tribalism) which I had shared with a doctor friend of mine who has advanced stage cancer (which I found myself when I had stage iii cancer). I am also NOTR promoting the keto diet: I have a “special use case” and from my research I thought this was something ai could do longish term to help make me less attractive to metastasis.

That having been said, I am not a professional oncologist (I did work in an oncology/biochem/polymerase lab for three years, including winning a competitive research fellowship, but whatt I worked on really wasn’t anything to do with actual oncoloflgy, I was young and even stupider than I am now, and it was a REALLY long time ago — the big thing was applying p553 to every model).

The best cancer prevention diet is to eat green leafy vegetables ,fruits , turmeric, high fiber diet ; foods that are pro apoptosis , and anti angiogenesis

So what I understand of the researchers I posted is a different viewpoint than what I think is the current standard if care which has been relatively ineffective. Their work suggests this low glucose blood level diet combined with ketones weakens cancer cells in general (mostly?) through starving their fermentation metabolism (I think). They are saying that this is the largest impact on cancers, more than normal HGH or IGF-1 promotion, but I don’t really know. This means if you had a high vegetable diet as you suggested — even vegan — and made sure it was low carb and supplemented with ketones, this fits right into what their research is suggesting. Does meat significantly impact IGF-1 versus plant protein, or is it a small effect? I am also confused by much of this because I know high HGH promotes cancer but there must be a u or j shaped curve because generally metabolically healthy don’t seem to get cancer as often as metabolically unhealthy people. And Greg Fahy uses HGH to promote immune function to have it fight cancer. So this perplexes me on what to do:m.

So you definitely may be correct, but this may be separate, or they may be saying the ketosis is a much larger impact.

Seyfried attracted me to this idea because the standard of care seems less effective when you actually have cancer and Seyfried has been doing this for years with supposedly amazing results so there may be something here, and that’s why I started this. I know of D’Agastino’s work just from keto performance enhancement but I didn’t know he separately was thinking about this.

This was a very wordy was to say “I have zero idea”. And I don’t seek to spread misinformation. )And I am NOT an evangelist.) But we’re deep thinking biohackers in this forum. And there seems to be some interesting results to think about here, particularly if you have/had cancer

I appreciate the discussion.

3 Likes

Elevated blood glucose has a major impact on cells that are prone to neoplasms. This is why a low-carb/keto diet is believed to have some benefits similar to intermittent fasting. There are by-products of fructose and glucose metabolism, which likely can exacerbate the risk of cancer growth.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtPQA_-qML0&pp=ygUMbmljayBub3J3aXR6

2 Likes

A good recent book on this subject worthwhile to study:

https://www.amazon.com/Ketogenic-Science-Therapeutic-Carbohydrate-Restriction/dp/0128216174

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC11154604/

1 Like

With just a little research you can find which cancers are ameliorative to glucose/fructose restrictions, (ie Keto diet). The best studies in humans have been in Stge 4 mammary cancer where chemo was no longer working( with cancer spread to liver lungs and brain), but with the addition of a strict Keto diet( the study participants were made to eat all meals(keto) provided by the hospital nutritionist). 8 out of 9 participants were cancer free in 90 days. The study participants were their own controls-no change in standard of care chemo protocols.

-There is unlikely a preventative effect by staying on a keto diet- in fact you could be selecting for cancers that are keto resistant. -Use it for when you really need it!

-Unfortunately if you research metabolism and a specific cancer you find that many cancers can switch from glucose to amino acids and other substrates and a keto diet is of no help except in a specific circumstance- see below.
There is a current stage 2-3 trial where prior to chemotherapy participants are put on a keto diet for 2-3 weeks. Then on the day of chemo therapy their blood glucose is (carefully) brought (and kept) to zero for 24hrs after chemotherapy. It used to be thought that rbc’s, platelets, and other cells (without mitochondria) would die with a zero bg, but apparently not. The response to chemo is apparently significantly improved.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Think there is a lot of value to this approach in several circumstances. I would also suggest that this and other approaches are individual and what might be beneficial for could be detrimental to others. Perhaps a closer look at genetic makeup and diet should be the focus.

1 Like

Anyone doing keto, may still want to try and get fiber:

Ohio State University (OSU) researchers have a chilling theory as to why colorectal cancer is rising in young adults

The OSU researchers are sounding the alarm about diets which are high in fat and low in fiber. Specifically, scientists believe the “Western diet” can unsettle the particular balance of bacteria within your gastrointestinal tract. This can cause inflammation which ages cells at an accelerated rate, making them more susceptible to cancer.

4 Likes

europepmc.org search 10941341. It seems that low dose acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin or other brand) like 100-300 mg can lower the risk for colorectal cancer(CRC) and even have some beneficial effect on people previously diagnosed with CRC.

2 Likes

Here’s a very short clip of Dr Thomas Seyfried saying the common link to all cancers is a deficiency of oxidative phosphorylation: cancer cells can only ferment glucose and glutamine for energy. This is why he prescribes a ketogenic diet to weaken the cancer cells specifically and then can more easily target them with other (many traditional) methods.

(Please note no-one said here anything about a keto diet being better for longevity beyond people with cancer)

3 Likes