Fucoidans (SIRT6 activators) from brown algae. Where to source?

# Reiss Jones

Founder & CEOFounder & CEO

Macro Supplies® · Full-timeMacro Supplies® · Full-timeJul 2022 - Mar 2024 · 1 yr 9 mosJul 2022 - Mar 2024 · 1 yr 9 mosManchester, England, United KingdomManchester, England, United Kingdom

• Affordable seaweed farming equipment that you can depend on.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/reissjones?utm_source=share&utm_campaign=share_via&utm_content=profile&utm_medium=android_app

WAKAME THIS WAY
Sea vegetables are another important component of the Okinawan diet.2588 Sea veggies have been associated with significantly lower all-cause mortality among those in Japan eating seaweed five or more times a week compared to fewer than three times.2589 In addition to being an excellent source of trace minerals, sea vegetables have multiple unique components, including the olive-brown carotenoid fucoxanthin2590 and a type of fiber called porphyran found to have lifespan-extending effects in model organisms.2591
One way seaweed could contribute to longevity is by lowering high blood pressure. With seaweed consumption associated with better blood pressure control in both children2592 and adults,2593 researchers decided to put it to the test and found significantly lower blood pressures from 6 (but not 4) g a day for a month of dried wakame (the sea vegetable in seaweed salad). A nice thing about whole food, plant-based interventions is that you sometimes get good side effects. In this study, one participant who had been suffering from gastritis saw their stomach inflammation resolved, and another’s chronic headaches disappeared.2594 Seaweed salad may also boost immune function, as I note in the Preserving Your Immune System chapter.

3 Likes

A Comprehensive Analysis into the Therapeutic Application of Natural Products as SIRT6 Modulators in Alzheimer’s Disease, Aging, Cancer, Inflammation, and Diabetes

Natural products such as isoquercetin, luteolin, and cyanidin act as SIRT6 activators, whereas vitexin, catechin, scutellarin, fucoidan, etc. work as SIRT6 inhibitors. It is noteworthy to mention that quercetin acts as both SIRT6 activator and inhibitor depending on its concentration used. Although none of them were found as highly selective and potent modulators of SIRT6, they could serve as the starting point for developing selective and highly potent scaffolds for SIRT6.

It says that fucoidan is un inhibitor of SIRT6

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6164879/

Cyanidin, which is the most potent SIRT6 activator, has been shown to produce a 55-fold increase in SIRT6 activity compared to the 3–fold to 10-fold increase for the others

What about it?

3 Likes

Quoting from the first article:

“Fucoidan is a polysaccharide which is naturally found in seaweeds and brown algae [88]. It has been reported to possess antioxidant, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, and immunomodulatory effects [88]. Fucoidans extracted from the Sargassum filipendula and Laminaria japonica has been shown to exhibit antioxidant activity greater than vitamin C [102,103,104]. A recent report mentioned that its antioxidant activity is attributed to higher scavenging of nitric oxide than the most widely used synthetic antioxidants, including butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) [88]. It was identified and isolated from Fucus distichus fungus and was investigated to determine its SIRT6 modulation activity and the results depicted a considerable increase in deacetylation activity of SIRT6 [58]. Researchers have reported that fucoidan showed SIRT6 specific action since it strongly enhanced SIRT6 deacetylation activity as compared with its SIRT1-SIRT3 isoforms deacetaylation activity. Furthermore, fucoidan-riched five microalgal extracts obtained from Fucus distichus**, Fucus vesiculous, Cytoseira tamariscofolia, Cytoseira nodacaulis, and Alaria esculenta showed significant amplification of SIRT6 activity [58]. Most importantly, it exhibited dose-dependent SIRT6 stimulating activity [58]. Fucoidan induced apoptosis in HepG2 liver cancer cells through the upregulation of p53 and p14, as well as the stimulation of caspases activity. It is noteworthy to mention that overexpression of SIRT6 is associated with the induction of apoptosis in cancer cells. Furthermore, gluconeogenesis was inhibited by fucoidan through the stimulation of SIRT6 by p53, which in turn led to an enhanced level of FoxO1 [89]. It has also been reported that fucoidan provides antidiabetic action by inhibiting α-amylase and α-glucosidase. Moreover, the antidiabetic property of fucoidan is attributed to activate the PI3K/PKB pathway, which regulates insulin production and stimulates GLUT4 translocation [91]. Implications of fucoidan have also been identified in healing inflammation via inhibition of NO production, downregulation of iNOS, COX-2, IL-1 β, TNF-α, NF- κB expression, and regulation of ERK, JNK, MAPK, and Akt pathways [88,90].”

Footnote 58 goes to:

…which, in turn, shows this:

I take donotage’s sirt 6 product. Unfortunately some statins are said to down regulate sirt 6 (and I take a 40/10 simvastatin ezetimibe combo), so I take the product with my statins. Ive wanted to get my hands on fluvastatin but not available in India sellers so far or the countries ive been to abroad which is said to enhance sirt 6

This was a study where sirt 6 activator was taken with statins, interesting findings

1 Like

Any feedback about this product?

51pcOo3EMJL.AC_US100
4115wTAR4RL.AC_US100

https://www.amazon.com/PURE-SYNERGY-SuperPure-Supplement-Gluten-Free/dp/B07WXL1KCX/ref=sr_1_47?crid=2BWUV1ZBU7WE7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Qb4S7eVdbjRmM7PDD0FXEpi9-s2Oqzu1JFlsaaPbMUi1i6VSauobolK5cHUf2U9VuxUhybWPCRqEcEs8UyLp0DhnS8pxhhn84JpsggbxS4UD98q6K8ivFXCeTqqhRaC_14SQukEYGESvV8XHQwQTV4mFmB4uBcfAk7PuduIgsiG-Fe1SffCr55LcxLH0G_AVu9PhkndShqFSSEr__gsBdOOEO_PgFyUyxlzRUdHPMWE51o9o2usZUhOy6mH3BpKelFp3k25e3UorHJEFJGFijk4jsV184bzkiWL3ujoTYZU.u6RKZN_VfGfKMU1uPS2u3lZiPkyvmdWvGW2s3DST-5o&dib_tag=se&keywords=Pure+Synergy&qid=1713530576&sprefix=pure+synergy%2Caps%2C401&sr=8-47

I have Fucoidan in one of my sets of HDAC inhibitors, but I don’t have anything that I can say save that it is not that one that I take.

Are you still taking the brown algae? Any positive results to speak of?