First dose feelings - apprehension about taking an experimental drug

There’s absolutely a placebo effect. Between February and October 2023 with a handful of weeks off in the summer, I’d been taking what I thought was 5mg of sirolimus with grapefruit juice, and felt an extra pep and improved energy. Turned out I was taking a fraction of that because my vehicle was siroboon from India, which barely made a blip in folks’ blood level of Sirolimus who actually got their blood drawn…. Granted because 5 mg + GFJ would have translated to a large dose if this had been the real deal, then even with siroboon I might have obtained a non negligible amount of sirolimus, but still, the placebo effect was strong. I even got a mouth sore in sympathy with other folks :joy:.

In another thread here I noticed a few people who found out they had been in the control group of the rapa trial could hardly believe it as they thought they’d experienced all the classic symptoms ….

4 Likes

M-tor inhibition effects would not occur in 20 minutes, the rapamycin barely makes it to the liver in any significant amount for its first pass metabolism within 20 minutes…

7 Likes

I have been on Rapamycin for 3.5 years…
I started out at 6mg siriolimus right from the start – weekly before bed. I noticed several hours after dosing a tinnitus like ringing in my ears. This continues to occur at every dose…every time By morning the ringing is dull or is gone.

Also,in my first weeks… I felt a heaviness… fullness in my heart. We know that it repairs the left ventricle of older dogs. Woof!

That heart fullness stopped after my first month of dosing as I recall. I have no plaque or calcium according to my coronary calcium scan 2 years ago.

Retaking that test soon.

4 Likes

Psychosomatic is real, and I for one am grateful that people are sharing what they feel - I wanted to know first dose feelings, that’s why I asked :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow! Woof to you too - and hopefully a nice zero on your calcium.

2 Likes

I really value this - don’t discount any feelings, don’t train yourself to.

2 Likes

in order to even generate a level that by serum level is therapeutic.

Do we know what that level is?

1 Like

Right? I’ve done 2 serum level tests ~3 hours after ingestion of 6mg zydus-brand sirolimus /w a 10ml shot of olive oil. First test was 11.01ng/ml, the second test was 10.76ng/ml. Is that good? Dunno and no one can say for sure. I’m shooting for ‘detectable’, and by day 7, ‘not detectable’. :slight_smile:

So far I’ve not experienced a side effect that was noteworthy.

2 Likes

It’s called nocebo effect not placebo.

1 Like

There are much cheaper and safer ways to induce positive psychosomatic sensations than taking rapamycin.

In Germany there are those sugar pills called Globuli which have such a huge following that they have become a political issue.

2 Likes

I am a part time German resident, and I often feel very perplexed by things there!

but then I wouldn’t get to be on this forum :grinning:

2 Likes

Any effects you perceived from your first dose could be a number of things… it could be a reaction from some food or supplement or medication interaction with the rapamycin you just took (if you have 't already, please read this thread on food / supplement interactions with rapamycin: Rapamycin Interactions with Other Food, Drinks, Supplements and Drugs ).

Are you taking any other medications?

Track what you eat / take prior to dosing rapamycin so you can start to identify any patterns.

Or perhaps its a unique or rare biological reaction that you get. Some people here have reported negative reactions on as low as 1mg of rapamycin (though that is rare). Most people report not obvious side effects, and no obvious immediate benefits. See:

1. Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)
  2. Anti-aging Benefits of Rapamycin, Personal Experiences (part 2)

Or, the feelings you experienced could be just something else.

I would just track your pre-dosing routine and diet / supplements / medications - note them down in a journal, and then note any feelings over the hours and days afterwards, to try and see if there is a correlation.

4 Likes

Globuli sounds like a drug to treat a disease I made as a parable.

1 Like

Afaik globuli in germany are homeopathic sugar pills.

They legalized weed. What is happening there?

The usual. Berlin is on it, Bavaria is not :joy:

2 Likes

Matt Kaeberlein on his recent podcast shared he takes 8 mg nothing else with it and gets a Labcorp result a few hours later of 20 ng/mL.

So there’s a number for a researcher who knows rapamycin like nobody else.

4 Likes

Well. Wow. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like