Exploring Strategies for Prostate Health and Cancer Prevention

I like it @RapAdmin. Ultrasound is a good screening device for prostate cancer. Trouble is insurance won’t pay for it even if you are ‘high risk’. Only if the Dr feels a nodule in a physical exam or your PSA spikes.

Or, you could kill two birds with one stone and combine an ultrasound device into one of the many prostate massagers, ie helix. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Good interview around Ketogenic Diet in Cancer Prevention and Therapy with Professor Tom Seyfried: The WORST food that feeds cancer cells

1 Like

Which drug are you referring to?

I’d like to add to your excellent list. lycopene + indole-3-carbinols. I use a weekly tomato + cauliflower or broccoli bake as an insurance policy against prostate problems

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0023643814002333

3 Likes

He’s referring to Dutasteride.

Good news for cyclists… joggers and swimmers.

A new study has found that men can significantly lower their chances of developing prostate cancer by doing more cycling, jogging and swimming.

Men who increased their fitness by 3% in a year were found to be 35% less likely to develop prostate cancer than men who had let their fitness decrease.

9 Likes

In this study they found a 1,29 fold reduction in serum DHT after 16 weeks of a 400mg Saw Palmetto oil supplement. I am gonna start taking a 320mg supplement daily

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.2147/CCID.S435795

1 Like

This makes sense! The mechanism of action of saw palmetto is attributed to its content of phytosterols, which act as natural 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. According to several studies, a high dosage is necessary to achieve effects equivalent to 1mg of finasteride. Therefore, I am incorporating it as part of a complex supplement stack in Life Extension’s Ultra Prostate Formula. This formula includes other 5ar inhibitors (reducing DHT) and 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor and lycopene… So Up2you to consider this option.

2 Likes

Any idea if Saw Palmetto berries or extract is preferred ?

1 Like

In almost all the studies extract is used, I bought an extract from the pharmacy. Here in Belgium, there a 3 extract formulations that are recognised as a registered medecine, so I can get it partly refunded by my health insurance after docter’s prescription

4 Likes

The men were scheduled for an operation to remove their prostate. The experiment started a week before the procedure and lasted 6 days. The researchers divided the men into 3 groups.

Men in the control group [SC] drank a glass of soft drink with as much caffeine as in a cup of tea 5 times a day. In one experimental group the men drank 5 cups of green tea [GT] every day, in the other experimental group they drank 5 cups of black Darjeeling tea [BT] every day.

Both green tea and black tea contain flavonoids. Green tea contains more ‘bare’ flavonoids - flavanols - than black tea. Flavanols have well-studied and interesting biological effects in vitro - but limited bioavailability in human research. The more complex theaflavins in black tea have been studied less often.

Results

The researchers found more flavonoids in the removed prostates of the GT and BT groups than in the prostates of the control group. Although we’re speaking about picomoles, they were present in both the prostates of the GT and BT groups. This is shown in the table above.

On the last day of the experiment, the researchers took blood from the men and added human LNCaP prostate cancer cells. They saw the cells grow slower in the blood of the men in the green tea group, but even more slowly in the blood of the men in the black tea group

Conclusion
“Tea polyphenols and theaflavins are bioavailable in the prostate where they may be active in the prevention of prostate cancer”, the Americans summarize.

Source study

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002231662208333X?via%3Dihub

5 Likes

From the Financial Times:

PSA prostate cancer tests fail to detect some aggressive forms, study shows

UK research highlights risk of over-diagnosis and gaps in spotting serious variants of the disease

A widely used screening test for prostate cancer is over-diagnosing insignificant cases while still missing some of the most aggressive cancers, according to the largest study of its kind. The trial, which involved more than 400,000 UK men aged 50-69, tested the effect of the Prostate-Specific Antigen “PSA” blood test, which is commonly used to decide when to send men with urinary symptoms for further checks. Half of the study’s participants received a single invitation for a PSA test. After 15 years there was little difference in the number of men who died from prostate cancer, whether or not they had received the test, according to the research published in the Journal of the American Medical Association on Saturday.

Related:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/prostate-cancer-tsunami-coming-experts-caution-2024a10006gt

3 Likes

Quantitative detection of citrate for early stage diagnosing of prostate cancer: Discriminating normal to cancer in prostate tissues

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S100184172300699X

Abstract

Prostate cancer (PC) biomarker-citrate detection is clinically important to diagnose PC in early stages. Methylquinolinium iodide (Q) conjugated indole-phenylboronic acid (IB) was designed as a red-emissive QIB probe for the detection of citrate through Lewis acid–base reaction and intramolecular charge transfer (ICT) sensing mechanisms. Boronic acid acts as Lewis acid as well as citrate (Lewis base) recognition unit. The probe reacted with citrate, showing enhanced red emissions. Since the probe has excellent water solubility and great biocompatibility, practical application in biological systems is possible. Citrate was monitored precisely in the mitochondria organelle (in vitro) of living cells with a positive charge on QIB. Also, endogenous (in situ) citrate was detected quantitatively to discriminate non-cancerous and PC mice, observed strong and lower (negligible) emission intensity on non-cancerous and cancerous prostate tissues, respectively. Because, the concentration of citrate is higher in healthy prostate compared with PC prostate. Furthermore, the analysis of sliced prostate tissues can give PC-related information for clinical diagnosis to prevent and treat PC in the initial stages. Therefore, we believe that the present probe is a promising biochemical reagent in diagnosing PC.

2 Likes

Does this imply that higher citrate levels leads to higher incidence of prostate cancer???

No. A shortage of citrate in the semen implies cancer. One key function of the prostate is putting citrate into seminal fluid to help any zygote that results.

2 Likes

In 1954, Cooper and Imfeld [9] first reported the citrate relationship in malignant vs. benign prostatic tissue. Their studies revealed that the citrate levels of benign tissue (benign prostatic hyperplasia, BPH), as with normal prostate, were extremely high. In contrast, the citrate levels of malignant prostate tissue were significantly lower than the benign prostate levels. Marberger et al. [10] reported that metastatic tissue derived from PCa contained very low citrate levels. These observations were corroborated and expanded by Cooper and Farid [1,2]. They reported that the citrate levels in “early carcinoma” were significantly lower (−36%) than in BPH; and in “advanced carcinoma” the citrate levels were drastically lower (−86%).

3 Likes
2 Likes

Prostate cancer in the news this week:

Francis Collins: Why I’m going public with my prostate cancer diagnosis

Over my 40 years as a physician-scientist, I’ve had the privilege of advising many patients facing serious medical diagnoses. I’ve seen them go through the excruciating experience of waiting for the results of a critical blood test, biopsy or scan that could dramatically affect their future hopes and dreams.

But this time, I was the one lying in the PET scanner as it searched for possible evidence of spread of my aggressive prostate cancer. I spent those 30 minutes in quiet prayer. If that cancer had already spread to my lymph nodes, bones, lungs or brain, it could still be treated — but it would no longer be curable.

Full article: Francis Collins: Why I’m going public with my prostate cancer diagnosis - I served medical research. Now it’s serving me. And I don’t want to waste time.

and

1 Like

Long-Term Outcomes in Patients Using Protocol-Directed Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer

Key Points

Question What are the long-term outcomes for patients with prostate cancer whose cases are managed with protocol-directed active surveillance?

Findings In this multicenter cohort study that included 2155 individuals with a median follow-up time of 7.2 years, the 10-year incidence of upgrading at biopsy and definitive treatment were 43% and 49%, respectively. The 10-year incidence of metastasis or prostate cancer mortality were 1.4% and 0.1%, respectively. There was no significant difference in adverse outcomes in men treated within the first 2 years of surveillance vs later on.

Meaning Protocol-directed active surveillance is a safe management strategy for avoiding overtreatment and preventing undertreatment.

Conclusions and Relevance In this study, 10 years after diagnosis, 49% of men remained free of progression or treatment, less than 2% developed metastatic disease, and less than 1% died of their disease. Later progression and treatment during surveillance were not associated with worse outcomes. These results demonstrate active surveillance as an effective management strategy for patients diagnosed with favorable-risk prostate cancer.

3 Likes

A lot of men get prostate cancer, much fewer die from it. However, that does not mean it is not an issue.

The prostate is interesting to me particularly because of its function of providing citrate for the fertilized egg (in seminal fluid).

It seems quite clear that there is a link between low levels of acetyl-CoA in prostate cells and aberrant splicing causing an enlarged prostate and then prostate cancer.

1 Like