Diet and Healthspan - Uncertain but High Value

Elite Human Capital wins, in the end :1st_place_medal: :100:

I am back to being a Michael Gregor fanboy.

Time to read the book.

4 Likes

I bought the book for my father. He said it was quite in depth and has a section on Rapamycin. He’s a big fan.

1 Like

If you want to try before buying, the preview on google books is very extensive

3 Likes

3 Likes

Top foods according to associations, rct’s for some:

1. Beans, legumes (i.e hummus).
  2. Lower sodium, 1500 mg a day according to AHA (50-50 potassium-sodium replacement very good if no kidney disease or bad kidney function (naturally >70 yrs old can have problems with this), 100-0 potassium replacement even better.
  3. Nuts, especially walnuts, peak is one handful of walnuts a day.
  4. Whole grains, especially intact grains like oat groats because bits become food for gut bacteria and not absorbed before it.
  5. Less meat and soda.
4 Likes

that is my two cents and based on research and personal experience/experimentation.

This got the team of researchers thinking about the results of stir-frying – the single most popular method for preparing vegetables in China.

“Surprisingly, few methods have reported the sulforaphane concentrations in stir-fried broccoli, and to the best of our knowledge, no report has focused on sulforaphane stability in the stir-frying process,” the researchers noted in their study.

The team bought a bunch of broccoli from the local market and set to work, measuring the levels of compounds in the vegetables as they went.

First, they basically pulverized the broccoli, chopping it into 2-millimeter pieces to get as much myrosinase activity going as possible (remember, the activity happens when broccoli is damaged).

Then, they divided their samples into three groups – one was left raw, one was stir-fried for four minutes straight after chopping, and the third was chopped and then left alone for 90 minutes before being stir-fried for four minutes as well.

The 90-minute waiting period was to see whether the broccoli would have more time to develop the beneficial compounds before being lightly cooked.

And that’s exactly what the team found – the broccoli that was stir-fried right away had 2.8 times less sulforaphane than the one left to ‘develop’ for longer.

“Our results suggest that after cutting broccoli florets into small pieces, they should be left for about 90 minutes before cooking,” the team concluded, adding that they didn’t test it but thought “30 minutes would also be helpful”

5 Likes

New research suggests that following an eating plan called the MIND diet may slow down biological aging.

The study, published in the Annals of Neurology, also found an association between the diet and a reduced risk of dementia and death.

Fast Facts:

• Following the MIND diet may help slow down biological aging and reduce the risk of dementia, new research shows.
  • The MIND diet is a fusion of the Mediterranean and DASH diets, developed specifically to preserve cognitive function.
  • The MIND diet, which focuses on vegetables, nuts, beans, berries, lean poultry, fish, and whole grains, is a healthy eating plan to follow, regardless of your age or dementia risk.

Full Article:

Sources

1. Thomas A, Ryan CP, Caspi A, et al. Diet, pace of biological aging, and risk of dementia in the Framingham Heart Study. Ann Neurol. Published online February 26, 2024. doi:10.1002/ana.26900
  2. Manly JJ, Jones RN, Langa KM, et al. Estimating the prevalence of dementia and mild cognitive impairment in the US: the 2016 Health and Retirement Study Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol project. JAMA Neurol. 2022;79(12):1242-1249. doi:10.1001/jamaneurol.2022.3543
  3. Chan RSM, Yu BWM, Leung J, et al. How dietary patterns are related to inflammaging and mortality in community-dwelling older Chinese adults in Hong Kong—a prospective analysis. J Nutr Health Aging. 2019;23(2):181-194. doi:10.1007/s12603-018-1143-0
  4. Morris MC, Tangney CC, Wang Y, et al. MIND diet slows cognitive decline with aging. Alzheimers Dement. 2015;11(9):1015-1022. doi:10.1016/j.jalz.2015.04.011
3 Likes

Very cool - this is based on the Framingham cohorts!

At a general level one piece of big support that epigentic age clocks are telling us something valuable

From the publication abstract below

Does anyone have the full paper?

People who eat healthier diets are less likely to develop dementia, but the biological mechanism of this protection is not well understood. We tested the hypothesis that healthy diet protects against dementia because it slows the pace of biological aging.

Methods

We analyzed Framingham Offspring Cohort data. We included participants ≥60 years-old, free of dementia and having dietary, epigenetic, and follow-up data. We assessed healthy diet as long-term adherence to the Mediterranean-Dash Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay diet (MIND, over 4 visits spanning 1991–2008). We measured the pace of aging from blood DNA methylation data collected in 2005–2008 using the DunedinPACE epigenetic clock. Incident dementia and mortality were defined using study records compiled from 2005 to 2008 visit through 2018.

Results

Of n = 1,644 included participants (mean age 69.6, 54% female), n = 140 developed dementia and n = 471 died over 14 years of follow-up. Greater MIND score was associated with slower DunedinPACE and reduced risks for dementia and mortality. Slower DunedinPACE was associated with reduced risks for dementia and mortality. In mediation analysis, slower DunedinPACE accounted for 27% of the diet-dementia association and 57% of the diet-mortality association.

Interpretation

Findings suggest that slower pace of aging mediates part of the relationship of healthy diet with reduced dementia risk. Monitoring pace of aging may inform dementia prevention. However, a large fraction of the diet-dementia association remains unexplained and may reflect direct connections between diet and brain aging that do not overlap other organ systems. Investigation of brain-specific mechanisms in well-designed mediation studies is warranted. ANN NEUROL 2024

2 Likes

Well said, and very consistent with the evidence that in the area of nutrition much of what we do to try to be healthier or live longer involves a tradeoff.
Was thinking again about the Barzilai work with centenarians. Seems they have a genetic polymorphism that prevents the uptake of IGF 1 by their cells. They tend to be shorter stature. Also Laron dwarves have the same polymorphism. I wonder if this enables them to ingest substantial protein, getting its benefits without its harms since their cells are protected from the negative effects of IGF1. I wonder about this a lot since women in my family tend to live long (and die of Alzheimers). My mother is 97 with advanced AD. Ate tons or red meat – she said she felt she needed it – it gave her a lift. Never smoked, no alcohol, but also never exercised her mind or body and never touched fruits or vegetables, never liked people, never seemed happy. So, lived long, but extremely frail and cognitively impaired. She has proved mostly a model of what not to do.

I think we are all mostly slip sliding our way toward what we think is the correct balance, navigating the propaganda on all sides.

5 Likes

LOL go figure, most people do all the right things and drop dead before 80…yet your mom is almost 100 eating red meat and never eating vegies. I particularly like the part “never liked people” :joy::joy::joy: since I always felt that “oh having friends and having an active social life will help you live longer” was a bunch of bull, though it may have other benefits (i.e. counter the feeling of loneliness) lol.

I wonder if the frailty thing is because she might have eaten very little, very low calorie. I had an aunt that she looked weak and frail all her life, and she lived to 99 years old. Her food was literally 1/2 a slice of bread (store bought white bread) with 1/2 glass of milk for lunch time. For dinner 4-6 OZ of meat (usually steak, but sometimes chicken, and sometimes salmon) with 1/2 baked potato. I think she drank one coffee in the morning but no food. That’s it. She was frail but never in hospital, and she made it to 99 years. Never exercised, not even walk in the neighborhood, never ate fruits or vegies either (not because she was against eating them, but simply she did not like them).

2 Likes

That depends on the psychological makeup of the person.
Think extraverts and introverts. Some people are comfortable with their own company, others not so much.

3 Likes

But muh blue zones. Those people are so happy, social and they drink wine man. That must be the secret to their longevity!

1 Like

May or may not have to do with it in my opinion. It just so happened that they do those things, but longevity part is mainly because of other factors, from lifestyle (mainly farm work) to foods they eat (grow themself organically) and even a glass of wine here and there won’t hurt (again homemade with no additives), plenty of sun exposure and pretty favorably climate conditions could also help. Social life does not hurt btw, but it will not add anything either.
BTW forgot to mention that my aunt NEVER (and I do mean never) went anywhere or to anyone’s house, and NEVER (I do mean NEVER) socialized with anyone. She did talk on the phone often though with her siblings. I literally know it for a fact that from the day she retired at 70 till she dies, she only left house about 10 occasions, with most of the occasions being going to her siblings’ funerals. Apparently, she was living with family, and they did the shopping and so on.
She wasn’t miserable or anything, but the way she was.

I think you hit the nail on this one. For some people perhaps socializing is important and plays a role, while others don’t give a damn (i.e. me as an example, even though I don’t mind socializing either)

Obesity and a high fat diet may accelerate brain aging, lead to cognitive decline

• Obesity increases the risk of health problems such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, arthritis, and several types of cancer.
  • New research suggests that it may also accelerate brain aging.
  • The researchers found that obesity and a high fat diet damaged blood vessels in the brains of mice, reducing oxygen supply to brain cells and leading to cognitive decline.

A new study, to be presented at the American Physiology Summit April 4–7 in Long Beach, CA, and the results of which are yet to be published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, suggests that obesity may also accelerate brain aging and lead to cognitive decline.

Lead study author Dr. Sharon Negri, a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, told Medical News Today:

3 Likes

Articles like those reinforce my belief that a keto diet is pretty unhealthy after all.

IMO: BMI and cholesterol levels matter much more than any specific diet.

2 Likes

Now, a study from the National University of Singapore, published in Cell , has discovered a mechanism that may help to explain why poor diet increases cancer risk.

In cell studies, the researchers found that methylglyoxal, which is produced when cells break down glucose to release energy, can inhibit genes that protect against cancer. They suggest that poor diet leads to higher levels of methylglyoxal, increasing the likelihood of cancer.

“This study suggests a potential correlation between high levels of methylglyoxal, a metabolic by-product, and a genetic mutation pattern seen in some cancers. It is an interesting area to explore further, but we need further lab research and clinical testing to conclusively establish if methylglyoxal levels are directly linked to cancer risk.”
— Dr. Tayyaba Jiwani, science engagement manager at Cancer Research UK, who was not involved in the study, speaking to Medical News Today.

6 Likes

I’m betting my life on this (and din’t care what diet — if any — anyone else is on, and don’t care about convincing you of anything). I need keto (err…”low carb” so i don’t get labeled as an extremist) to reduce cancer risk (of which i’ve had) via Thomas Seyfried of Boston Unv/Col and Dom D’Agistino of Uv Florida. But most of these “high fat” and “high protein” diet studies (at least thatt I’ve read) generally include lots of processed meats as “protein/fat” when you get to what specifically is included; they never seem to only include only people who eat whole clean meats and veggies — this is like including only people who live off of potato chips, Doritos, beer, and edible THC gummies as a “vegan diet” The epidemiological studies are especially open minded about this in their analyses, and i’ve kinda stopped listening because they seem so biased in this way (science isn’t always perfect and many studies are poorly set up). While it is possible a high “clean” fat diet and/or high “clean protein” diet (ie whole natural foods) is a health negative, I’d guess the biggest impact is that of unhealthy processed foods. I’m not dismissing the fact that perhaps animal protein/fats may be more unhealthy than veggies (with methionine, leucine, etc working against you): only that the processed foods issue is a much bigger impact and this can be easily solved. I am VERY open minded as to the result, and i’ve tried all these diets for months or years in the past.

By the way: I would love to see a “battle of the supposed healthy diets” study of health markers of 1) Mediterranean diet, 2) healthy vegan diet, 3) healthy keto/protein diet, and 4) SAD diet with processed food. Ive never seen one this far. Make sure the study period was long enough to show actual differences. I’m betting (with my life) that the differences are pretty minor once you move away from processed food and eat healthy whole food. Need to control for endurance training and separately for resistance training (as so many people with healthy diets are already doing healthy things in their lives). If you’ve seen this study already done, I’d love to read it.

3 Likes