Bryan Johnson, Is he the New Poster Child for Rapamycin Use?

No one should try to tell anyone here what to do.

For myself, I’m a fan of Lustgarten’s (@ConquerAging) approach. It’s slow but he makes steady progress by not trying to do too much at the same time. That allows him to come to conclusions that are solid (but still not certain). He can put stuff behind him or mark it as important to keep, and then move to the next thing. Over time he has built a rock solid program for himself.

I have made the mistake of making too many changes at the same time. It made sense to me that I should move quickly on things that were probably going to help. But then I didn’t really know what most of my stuff was really doing for me, if anything. Eventually I had 50 things I was taking which seemed wrong but I didn’t have any way to prioritize what was important to keep.

So, I’ve committed to moving slowly. Only 10 things. 1 change at a time. I’m still experimenting and finding great solutions (GG is new, thanks to @desertshores). It’s hard and I’m not good at it, but I think “slow but steady progress” is faster in the long run.

5 Likes

The issue i particularly have with the Johnson/Zolman approach is that it is a scattergun approach on symptoms rather than an attack on aging mechanisms. It is also too cultish for my liking. I would be happier if they would engage with debate, but i am happy to engage with those people willing to so do.

3 Likes

I’d agree with the slightly cultish aspect also. I almost went to a meetup, but decided not to for that very reason. However this is a fantastic way of building a framework for a dataset. People willingly giving their data is a step in the right direction. Theres room for all different angles. I seriously applaud you hunting for a root cause of aging. It’s going to take an army.

3 Likes

I think i have found some of the root cause. Interstingly i have just been told there is a separate startup looking for funding on essentially the same hypothesis.

2 Likes

Certainly the scale of what they are doing is impressive and they must getting a ton of valuable information. Has there been any mention of a book or books that might come from this? Either by Bryan Johnson or Zolman?

Is that something that you can get involved in or do you intend to raise your own finance?

I am an investor. I dont need any finance. I sold my main business in 2019.

3 Likes

Ah yes. I remember now. Well, intrigued and wishing you all the best.

I like Luustgarden as well. I think he’s brilliant. I also follow Peter Attia. I think there’s value in taking pieces from all of the different approaches

3 Likes

What I think would be best for Blueprint and longevity in general is a step-by-step guide. You start with the easiest, most essential cost-effective actions first. Then when you have finished step 1, you move onto step 2. The final steps are the most costly, least-proven, least-effective and most fringe things you could do.

For instance, Step 1 - Quit smoking. Exercise 30 minutes a day. Get 8 hours of sleep. Stop drinking (or cut back) etc…

Step 2 - Get a checkup and blood panels. Fix any problems found. Cure deficiencies by adding D3, Omega-3, and magnesium supplements.

Step 3 - Rapamycin.

Step 100 - Cellular Re-programming. Join your youngest child to you in a parabiotic state. :wink:

Something like this. I find it amazing that most people (not here) get stuck on Step 1 or 2.

2 Likes

The difficulty with this is that although there is some consistency on some issues (such as D3) there are also disagreements. Even on the issue of D3 there are complex disputes about dosing levels and ideal serum levels.

Hence unless you either follow one particular group’s protocol, you have to spend quite a bit of time working out the balance of arguments on these things. One merit of this forum is that there are quite a few people each working out their own viewpoint.

3 Likes

Well, there are always different opinions on every set of guidelines. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have some.

1 Like

I can tell you what mine are. Mine are based upon measurements I have done. It would be good if there was a good source of data on supplementation vs serum levels, but as far as I can tell there isn’t. This will vary from person to person and throughout the year.

2 Likes

What are you doubting about the recommendation here:

The Endocrine Society states, for example, that to maintain serum 25(OH)D levels above 75 nmol/L (30 ng/mL), adults might need at least 37.5 to 50 mcg (1,500–2,000 IU)/day of supplemental vitamin D, and children and adolescents might need at least 25 mcg (1,000 IU)/day [11]

I will probably increase to 50 mcg since 25 mcg is probably not adequate to have serum levels above 75 nmol/L.

1 Like

My personal experience is that 3000 iu in oil per day was insufficient to maintain 90nmol/L. I need something more to keep it higher and I am aiming for 200nmol/L.

1 Like

Why are you aiming for 200 nmol/L?

1 Like

Because I would like to remain within the normal range, but maximise the expression of genes which have the VDR as a transcription factor.

2 Likes

Very curious about steps 4, 5 and 6!

2 Likes

I was taking 2500 IU daily in oil + twice weekly 1000 IU Calcifediol and I was barely above 75 nmol/L :sweat_smile: I just doubled the dose a week or so ago.

2 Likes

If you don’t have young children, grandchildren will work too :flushed:

3 Likes