Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

I was referring to antioxidants in general, not specifically Astaxanthin. I’ve read and seen multiple sources discussing this. Here are some links, but just from quick google search.

3 Likes

Good links. Interesting to see Vitamin C isn’t so bad after all for exercise performance. I think it’s the high doses of certain antioxidants that are bad. Low doses are probably fine.

Excess vitamin C is peed out for the most part.

Astaxanthin for Skin Aging. Does it work?

Summary at 29:50

3 Likes

Generally it feels like you are a steward and “dean” here on the forum @DeStrider

Can you use that leading by example approach also when you post videos and just have single a one sentence bullet point on what is interesting, relevant, take away and/or covered in the video (or if there is a specific time stamp that is interesting)

1 Like

Every video has a title across the top of it. Or at least it does on my phone. Can you see it at the top of the video?

Yes I just see that it will cover “Does it work”

But have no idea why a trusted member thought it relevant:

• because it does work?
  • because it does not?
  • because it is a good summary of pros and cons?
  • because it covered important side effects to consider
  • because it covers new data not discussed on the thread before

I don’t even know if it is a short video or long - and if long you recommend the whole thing or just a 30 sec time stamp

The problem with videos vs papers or blogs is that the thousands of people who may see your post are not able to “skim” videos

The request would literally take the poster of an video an extra 10-15 seconds and that one bullet point can provide value and guidance to hundreds or thousands of forum visitors

That bullet also means that your post can be found via the search function on the forum which just a video link won’t

4 Likes

That we have good evidence for… so far.

2 Likes

Wasn’t beta carotene also identified as an issue?

We conducted literature searches across eight databases and screened the publications from January 1900 to March 2022 on the topic of β-carotene treatments and cardiovascular outcomes. There were 10 trials and 16 reports included in the meta-analysis with a total of 182,788 individuals enrolled in the study. Results from the random-effects models indicated that β-carotene supplementation slightly increased overall cardiovascular incidence (RR: 1.04; 95% CI: 1.00, 1.08) and was constantly associated with increased cardiovascular mortality (RR: 1.12; 95% CI: 1.04, 1.19). Subgroup analyses suggested that, when β-carotene treatments were given singly, a higher risk of cardiovascular outcomes was observed (RR: 1.06; 95% CI: 1.01, 1.12). In addition, cigarettes smoking was shown to be a risk behavior associated with increased cardiovascular incidence and mortality in the β-carotene intervention group. In sum, the evidence of this study demonstrated that β-carotene supplementation had no beneficial effects on CVD incidence and potential harmful effects on CVD mortality. Further studies on understanding the efficacy of multivitamin supplementation in nutrient-deficient or sub-optimal populations are important for developing the tolerable upper intake level for β-carotene of different age and sex groups.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8950884/

4 Likes

A new study on astaxanthin:

Astaxanthin targets IL-6 and alleviates the LPS-induced adverse inflammatory response of macrophages

Our findings indicate that astaxanthinexhibits anti-oxidative stress, anti-cell damage, and anti-inflammatory effects on LPS-stimulated macrophages, and AST protects against cell damage, stimulates p53, inhibits STAT3, and mitigates inflammatory factors resulting from damage.

Numerous natural compounds are recognized for their anti-inflammatory properties attributed to antioxidant effects and the modulation of key inflammatory factors. Among them, astaxanthin (AST), a potent carotenoid antioxidant, remains relatively underexplored regarding its anti-inflammatory mechanisms and specific molecular targets. In this study, human monocytic leukemia cell-derived macrophages (THP-1) were selected as experimental cells, and lipopolysaccharides (LPS) served as inflammatory stimuli. Upon LPS treatment, the oxidative stress was significantly increased, accompanied by remarkable cellular damage. Moreover, LPSs escalated the expression of inflammation-related molecules. Our results demonstrate that AST intervention could effectively alleviate LPS-induced oxidative stress, facilitate cellular repair, and significantly attenuate inflammation. Further exploration of the anti-inflammatory mechanism revealed AST could substantially inhibit NF-κB translocation and activation, and mitigate inflammatory factor production by hindering NF-κB through the antioxidant mechanism. We further confirmed that AST exhibited protective effects against cell damage and reduced the injury from inflammatory cytokines by activating p53 and inhibiting STAT3. In addition, utilizing network pharmacology and in silico calculations based on molecular docking, molecular dynamics simulation, we identified interleukin-6 (IL-6) as a prominent core target of AST anti-inflammation, which was further validated by the RNA interference experiment. This IL-6 binding capacity actually enabled AST to curb the positive feedback loop of inflammatory factors, averting the onset of possible inflammatory storms. Therefore, this study offers a new possibility for the application and development of astaxanthin as a popular dietary supplement of anti-inflammatory or immunomodulatory function.

Open access paper:

4 Likes

Sorry if this is the incorrect place to ask this, but is the timing of when to rake these antioxidants important? I remember NIR therapies are more effective in the morning than at night and perhaps antioxidants are similar. For instance, I take both GlyNAC and 12mg astaxanthin daily in the morning (I’m counting elevated glutathione as an antioxidant, butt that may not be appropriate). I don’t think taking rhis before my gym workout would be wise because it may blunt the repair processes instigated by the workout. But how long are the effects? — if I take them art 9am is a 2pm workout too soon? And would it be better tro rake them at nightt before bed tro facilitate repair? Or is morning better to facilitate protection? Or does no-one really have a clue?

Maybe don’t take astaxanthin during an infection if it interferes with the immune response.

Why do we want our immune system to NOT react to LPS? I’d rather my body did react to bacterial proteins, and I’ll work on keep long my gut healthy to avoid leaking LPS into my blood flow.

I don’t take astaxanthin.

No, you have to read the whole introduction.

“However, when the inflammatory response becomes persistent, these factors can inflict damage on normal tissues and cells, leading to the development of various inflammatory diseases,3 including acute or chronic inflammation, autoimmune diseases, or cancer.”

Also how does it reduce inflammation?

“It has been reported that AST enhances macrophage sensitivity to lipopolysaccharides (LPS), thereby increasing the organism’s ability to prevent and resist inflammation.”

Actually they confess that much of how it reduces inflammation is not known, but it may have to do with nfKb also.

The only reason I don’t take it is the expense. I take krill oil which has AST, but I don’t even know how much. Probably not much. I’m hoping they hype it enough to pay for a machine to make a proper synthetic that is cheap enough for even me.

I can’t figure out what the order of button pushes is to get the blockquote thing to work right. I know it’s a stupid question. Just throw me a couple sentences.

1 Like

Thanks. I just read the title. I have no skin in this game. I was suckered into supplementing Astaxanthin and more in the past. I’m still pissed off.

1 Like

I don’t think supplementing with Astaxanthin is being suckered. Now Resveratrol on the other hand…

5 Likes

NMN too. I know people still take it and I sat by a woman that suffered through an IV of it just a few weeks ago. You can do the same thing probably better with Niacin. You don’t even need a big dose.

2 Likes

Hey RapAdmin did you ever have any blood tests performed after taking higher doses of astaxanthin? I read earlier in the thread you were considering it. Also, if you don’t mind what is your current dosage?

Not yet - will be ramping up my astaxanthin again soon and will test blood before and after.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Strange question, but if your turds are red from taking astaxanthin, isn’t that a clear sign that your body isn’t absorbing it?

Rather than upping the dose, wouldn’t you be better off changing how you consume it (i.e. paired with a fatty meal and/or spreading the same dose over several meals)?

I’m certain upping the dose would also increase absorbtion, but maximising absorbtion other ways would seem more economical.

2 Likes