After 25 years of hype, embryonic stem cells are still waiting for their moment (MIT Tech Review)

I don’t think that’s a main problem with stem cell therapies. Even embryonic stem cells, which certainly don’t lack differentiation capability, don’t do much when injected into the body, except for having paracrine effects.

1 Like

Its not the cells, but the localized environment.

Can I ask how you’re doing with this as it’s been awhile? I am scheduled for a knee replacement in July ‘24. I have pretty much exhausted all non invasive procedures but not tried this. I’m miserable, and everyday I spend over an hour red light, pemf, melt method and it helps, each of these modalities provide degrees of relief but on top of bone on bone, I have a bakers cyst that flares when I work out. That’s very painful and interrupts my exercise. Damn…I got a cane……

Have you tried shockwave therapy?

Sure. It’s been about six months since I had the injection. And it’s been a mostly positive experience. My knee is a lot better than it was previously. I would have constant and burning pain in the joint. That’s not the case anymore. Subjectively, I’d say I’m probably about 85 percent better than I was. However, it’s not fully better, but the amount of pain has gone down considerably. I’ll still have days when it feels off. I couldn’t cycle before without it burning for days afterwards, but that has settled down. I can’t advise you one way or the other. I don’t know what your diagnosis is. As far as I know the cartilage in my knee is fine.
It’s possible that my optimism and the amount I paid, which was quite a lot has just added to a placebo effect. I fully intend to go back and get an infusion at some point, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

Well at least adult stem cells are still showing some promise…

I saw this a while back. I’m still pretty bullish on stem cells. I’m just not sure what’s needed to do to get it into the mainstream