24 year old male use of rapamycin for chronic inflammation

Thank you! Yes it is so scary. Luckily I am mostly recovered (which took years) but some are permanently disabled. Here are some of the best articles written about it:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

Full Atlantic story here (no paywall): https://archive.ph/EEGup

I was luckily reading the Atlantic one day and read that. For a whole year I didn’t understand what happened to me. Luckily I found that article which saved my life.

4 Likes

I can’t read the article because it’s hidden behind a paywall, but has such a condition ever been detected in a clinical trial? Otherwise it could simply be nocebo.

Clear your cookies and it will unlock. It’s definitely not in the same zip code as nocebo effects.

1 Like

@Inflamedguy, I have a subscription to The Atlantic, still a bastion of strong journalism.

2 Likes

Linezolid is an antibiotic that also has potential mitochondrial toxicity, especially with long term use it seems.

I started losing muscle because of age although lifting weights. I switched to a meat based diet and regained my muscle.

5 Likes

Nice… Matt Kaeberlein and Peter Attia on their nutrition podcast… say larger amounts of protein is needed as we age.

Link: https://youtube.com/watch?v=4sqyGwqyAao&si=elwCEgbbUlVRjZ9y

They say dieticians and human diet researchers have it wrong… always do for the past century.

Each person is unique… no such thing as a one diet fits all people.

2 Likes

I’ve exercised many times 1-2 hours after taking Rapamycin. No noticeable difference like you said. I don’t think it really matters but people are looking at mechanisms to decide they should time Rapamycin away from exercise.

4 Likes

I think starting Rapamycin at age 24 is great. If I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I’d start a lot of anti aging interventions at age 18. The sooner you start, the better I would imagine.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t start at 18 if I could go back. But I would start at 24-25 (well actually I couldn’t since by then I started having kids back to back to back to back but in an alternative reality where that wasn’t an issue, yes). Fine point but I don’t think we’re fully grown at 18. Parts of the brain don’t fully mature until our mid 20s.

4 Likes

That’s fair but I think it depends what exactly we are taking about here. Exercising is anti aging and should be started before 24-25. But then something like hormone replacement should definitely not be started at 18 assuming the individual is healthy. My point wasn’t really to focus on a specific age number but I think the more we get into it, the more we would find ourselves agreeing.

1 Like

To me taking antiaging anything before 24-25 (which for men it’s the age the bones mature) is very counterproductive and could even be dangerous. So, no 18 is way too young if you’d ask me.

2 Likes

Thank you! The Atlantic article is really good-- easier to understand than the technical one; perfect for nursing students. As with hygiene, maybe doctors will end up educated by nurses about the fluoroquinolone issue…

Yes, lots of detection. Enough that both the FDA and the European equivalent have boxed warnings saying they should not be prescribed unless absolutely necessary. Nocebo effects don’t tend to do things like rupture tendons and the other very serious effects seen (albeit rarely) with fluoroquiinolones.

2 Likes

Your understanding is basically correct. For most men, bone growth typically continues between the ages of 18 and 25, which is a critical period for bone development and maturation. At this stage, male bones will reach their maximum length and density. The end of this age range, around 24 to 25 years old, is considered the age at which male bones mature.

1 Like